Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie Question: How do you deal with stress now without food?

So all of us have bad days, disappointments, break-ups right? And those don't stop after the sleeve. I am excited to form new habits but with the old eating, drinking, off the table, what are healthier coping mechanisms, especially for the first few weeks after the sleeve when activity will be somewhat limited? I told my therapist I keep hearing things to de-stress like yoga and take a hot bath. She joked that I would need a bathtub in my office and could get awfully pruny:-) But really what changes and new habits have worked best for you? What would you recommend for those starting out on their journey. Ideally, I would like to try to start some of these prior to surgery (in six weeks), if possible.

Definitely want to address any issues you have before and and during surgery that have caused you to eat in the past. Good job there. Those things don't magically go away when they remove your stomach. And the honeymoon period where your body won't let you eat doesn't last forever. Eventually you could stretch your stomach out again.

That being said, after surgery you won't have the drive to eat. At least for me, when emotions strike and I think... "hey, foods a great idea" , I'll go for the chops and realize I don't want them. Or something sweet.... not appealing AT ALL.

Cravings haven't hit yet either. I want Protein and I want Water. So in answer to your question, I do drink Water when I feel I need something to sooth me. My pre-surgery self would laugh hysterically at that... but it's true. I don't want anything else.

Some days I want to go outside instead also. So putting that depressed energy that used to make me eat to good use where I really do feel better when I'm moving and walking.

Total loss: 56lbs

A warm bath would be a great strategy, just not right after surgery (no immersion in Water until your incisions have healed).

Some good stress reducers:

Walking/exercise

Taking with a trusted friend

Writing/journaling

Nature/doing something outside

Practicing a hobby

Meditating

Massage

Napping/getting enough sleep

Punching a pillow

Petting a cat or dog

Playing with children

@ onesleevemama - How far out from surgery are you?

Thanks to all. I have walking and journaling as my main go to things. I will just keep working with my therapist to help deal with overwhelming issues. Also, I think that taking care of myself now instead of just taking care of others will be a big help as well.

Deep breathing, and mindfulness meditation and prayer have helped me deal with the overwhelming emotions and stresses. I'm learning new skills in counselling on how to cope without food. Ask your counsellor for some practical solutions

Prayer! Out loud, on knees, talking to God! Not only asking for help, but praising him for getting you thus far!

@ FocusOnMeNow

I'm 7 weeks post op. I know it's not far but I never could have imagined not craving or even imagined looking at chips and not wanting them. But I don't now. Granted that may change Dien the road as my stomach allows more types of food. Which is why I continue with my therapy and working on handling things differently.

You'll be OK! Just bring proactive and aware of why you eat now before surgery can be important so you address it as you go. I was surprised before surgery as I took note EVERY time I ate of the reasons why I was eating and it was rarely hunger. Now. It's 99% because I feel my body needing food.

For me, learning how to breathe and exhale slowly really helps my temporary stress levels.

The mindfulness approach to stress reduction (looking at what's happening, what just happened, noticing my reactions, others' behavior, etc. -- without judgment, just observation) helps, too.

I've found that a mess of emotions I can have are unproductive. In some instances, they're just reactions, like bad habits. And by that I don't mean to say that feelings are not important. But how I'm feeling at any moment doesn't have to determine how I will continue to feel or what I will do in response to those feelings.

Finally, I'm not an AA or Twelve-Step person at all. But I certainly recognize that there are trigger situations we can control, like the AA's HALT signals (Hungry, Angry, Lonely and Tired). For me, I'd add Thirsty.

There's so much online about mindfulness that you can google. Here's a simple place to start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness-based_stress_reduction

Love the last response too. I do HALT also, but add thirsty and Vitamins. I definitely know when I don't take vitamins I'm crabby. I try to find physical reasons for emotions first. Then examine what else thy can be. Also, the serenity prayer and realizing emotions are just that... emotions. They will pass and change. They are not good or bad. They are my bodies way of letting me know I need something or need to work on something.

Everything Innner Surfer Girl suggested are good starting points. One of the things that has indeed helped me was actually seeing a therapist during the process. I had to get mental clearance before the surgery to make sure I could mentally handle it and the changes. I started seeing this person about a month before my surgery just to make sure I was going to be ready for all of the changes. Unfortunately two weeks before my surgery I had a horrific breakup with my girlfriend at the time. I thank god that I had the therapist around to help guide me through some of the more difficult bouts of depression I have ever gone through. food, which before the surgery was my indeed go to anti-depressant, was no longer an option. I had to learn a who new way of coping with what my issues were and how to deal with them in a more positive and constructive way. A way that didn't involve trying to eat the pain away.
So journaling, talking, and exercise have been key changes in my life that has not only helped me deal with all the physical changes that I've gone through over the last half year, but to deal with those mental changes as well. I wish you nothing but the best of luck in this journey. Its indeed one of the more difficult challenges that anyone can face.

A warm bath would be a great strategy, just not right after surgery (no immersion in Water until your incisions have healed).

Some good stress reducers:

Walking/exercise
Taking with a trusted friend
Writing/journaling
Nature/doing something outside
Practicing a hobby
Meditating
Massage
Napping/getting enough sleep
Punching a pillow
Petting a cat or dog
Playing with children