Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Desperate for help re: eating

I am 13 days out from surgery. No complications. 10 days Clear Liquids. Now into Protein Shake stage until 7/15. I am trying to follow the program (4 shakes per day), but for the past two days I have been vomiting the shakes up almost all the time. If I can keep it down, it is only 1/2 a scoop worth of Protein Powder. I have tried different flavors, brands, etc. I drink Water all day (except 1/2 hour before the Protein shake, per dr order). I know I am not getting nearly enough nutrition and because of this, I can barely make it through the day, much less do any exercise.

Today, I packed my Protein Shakes for our outing on a sailboat. 15 min into our drive, up and out the shake came. I was so desperate for nutrition, I ate 3/4 a hard boiled egg. It stayed down just fine. On the boat, the heat and waves made me so seasick (1st time ever) I couldn't bear the thought of a shake. During the day I ate a thin slice of deli ham, and a half cup (over 5 hours) watermelon. It stayed down. This evening for dinner I ate 1/2 cup restaurant egg drop Soup.

I really feel I am ready for soft food. I have no interest in overeating or back to unhealthy foods.

When I talk to my NUT, the nurse navigator, or my doctor, they all say the same thing. "You have to drink 4 eight oz shakes per day. There is no other option. You signed a contract agreeing to follow our orders". And out the door I go, $50 poorer.

Does anyone have any ideas? I literally feel as if I am wasting away. I have stopped losing any weight, probably because my metabolism has slowed to a crawl.

HELP!!

I found mixing 1 1/2 scoops of unflavored (Biochem) Protein n=in 24 ox Water with 2 indvidual packs of Crystal Light with a few ice cubes in my water bottle bottle gives me protein and water at the same time. My sleeve does well with this consitency.

Also, are you mixing these shakes with milk? I have heard that many folks develop lactose intolerance. Have you tried unsweetened vanilla almond milk instead? Its yummy and easy on the tummy. Also you might want to check and see if there is actual lactose in the shakes if you have not been mixing with milk. I agree with ideas above to add pure unflavored Protein to Soups. You might also want to try Isopure zero carb. Its kind of like kool aid flavored Protein Drink with 40 grams of Protein and it is also a "clear liquid." If the shakes don't agree with you just get your protein somewhere else.

That is crazy to be that rigid. That need to work with you. As you said ti makes no sense to drink a shake if you cannot keep it down. You need nutrition. Start trying things. There are the savory Protein Soups, GENEPRO, Isopure and a few other brands makes unflavored Protein powder that you can mix into cream soups and broths.

I am not one for going against doctors wishes but you need to stand up for yourself in this case.

Next time your nut, doctor, or nurse tells you that you signed a contract and that too bad, so sad, you better drink your Protein or else, you need to have a conversation with them about malpractice. That is complete and total BS. Their job is to make sure that you are able to get nutrition and if you can't it is THEIR problem to help you fix it, not to tell you that you better choke down some shakes or you're out of luck. Explain to them that there is an issue with the shakes, you cannot keep them down, and if they are unable to work with you to find an appropriate solution, then you will be happy to contact both your insurance agency and your attorney regarding their complete and total failure to do their job. I worked in healthcare and doctors and nurses like to bully people when they think they can get away with it. Bully them right back. That is garbage and you deserve their help in finding a solution.

That being said...I never drank Protein Shakes because they made me sick. Nothing is going to happen to you if you don't get all of that Protein in every day. I was self pay so I was entirely on my own with nutrition. I went through the phases of clear and regular fluids and then moved on to soft food and regular food and I literally had maybe 5 protein shakes the entire time. They are disgusting. I drink them now because I like the kind I make in the blender. I use almond milk, because my stomach doesn't like real milk, I blend in a frozen greek yogurt, a little PB2, and Protein Powder and it tastes like a milkshake. The pre-made shakes are not yummy, but if you're creative with a blender you may like them more.

As a note, I am almost 2 years out and about 6 weeks ago I had all my blood work done. Like I said I had no formal nutritional guidance, never got in all my protein, and largely eat what I want to (which doesn't include sweets or fats or much junk). I have maintained below goal since April and all of my blood values are almost exactly right in the middle of the normal ranges. Protein shakes are not the end all and be all and you will be fine without drinking all of them.

I hope you feel better...and please go let your doctor, nurse, and nut have a piece of your mind. If they can't do their job, someone else will be more than happy to remove them from it or do it for them.