Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help with Pre-Op Liquid Diet

i will be starting my pre-op two week diet in about a Month - the day I return from vacation. I know I am going to feel awful. I can't imagine going that long without solid food. And when I am hungry - I can't concentrate or sleep. How did you get thru it? Advice needed!

It was tough. I got through it using sugar free popsicles, sugar free Jello, and broth. The broth was nice because it was not sweet. I had a lot of support from family and spent a lot of time in prayer. I am now post-op 12 days. This is hard. Your resolve to change your life needs to be your focus. It will not always be hard. Each stage will get better. I tried to think of it as a strange short term diet. We all have tried those. Make your life as easy as you can and be good to yourself. One of the biggest help was and is Bariatric Pal. It has given me help from so many who have been down this road and understand what I am facing. Enjoy your vacation!

I was worried also. Every surgeon is different but mine had me on all liquid diet 7 days before scheduled surgery date. But I was so ready to begin the process and the week flew by that it didn't bother me. It's all worth it in the end. And I agree that this site up is invaluable in answering questions and for support! Good luck on your journey!

I actually found this phase exciting because it was the beginning of a dream opportunity coming true! It is also easy since you don't have to think too much about what to have. i guess at my age (62) I am just so ready to have a tool which will allow me to reach and maintain a healthy goal and longer healthy life.

Surprisingly it wasn't that bad. I had to do 14 days. By the middle of the first week I just didn't care anymore because I could only eat certain things. SF popsicles, broth and sf Jello got me through. I was losing pounds and that was exciting...every day was a day closer to surgery and I had bigger things to think about. Good luck!

i will be starting my pre-op two week diet in about a Month - the day I return from vacation. I know I am going to feel awful. I can't imagine going that long without solid food. And when I am hungry - I can't concentrate or sleep. How did you get thru it? Advice needed!

Why are you anticipating that this is going to be negative? Work on some positive thoughts and statements instead:

I'm excited about this phase of the process... it means I'm almost there.

When I feel hunger, I'm going to have what I'm allowed.

I'm ready to put aside the food and habits that got me to this place.

I can't wait!

It will only be as bad as you make it. I looked forward to it because it was the beginning Of a new me. I am on my last day now (7days) and have my surgery tomorrow morning. I like tea and drank a lot of Decaf tea with trivia (Natural sweetener) along with 3 Protein Drinks a day. I also bought sugar free Jello, sugar free Popsicles, and crystal light. Truly by the 2-3 day I was FINE. Even days 1-3 weren't terrible. Stay busy. I had moments of hunger but just thought about why I was doing this and how it was just a part of the process. You've got this! Anything is possible! Best wishes to all of you :)

It will only be as bad as you make it. I looked forward to it because it was the beginning Of a new me. I am on my last day now (7days) and have my surgery tomorrow morning. I like tea and drank a lot of Decaf tea with trivia (Natural sweetener) along with 3 Protein drinks a day. I also bought sugar free Jello, sugar free Popsicles, and crystal light. Truly by the 2-3 day I was FINE. Even days 1-3 weren't terrible. Stay busy. I had moments of hunger but just thought about why I was doing this and how it was just a part of the process. You've got this! Anything is possible! Best wishes to all of you :)

i start my two week pre-op diet tomorrow. I'm excited and ready to go. Thanks for the encouraging words. ????

I start my diet July 18 for surgery August 17! It's a loooong process, but it needs to be done and, however much weight I lose pre-surgery (Dr. and insurance require 8% of body weight), I'm that much closer to goal! Nothing about this choice is going to be easy - but it will be soooo worth it to get back to active size!

I actually liked the liquid diet part. At first it was difficult in that I was tired and my "head" hunger messed with me. But as I went along and found that I wasn't dying of starvation, it began to give me confidence and excitement about the journey ahead. I was tired and the first two or three days I was cranky. But I spent a lot of time reading people's success stories, looking at pictures and planning out my first weeks after surgery. I have my surgery tomorrow and in retrospect, the 10 days have flown by! You can do it! We are so much more than what we eat!

Good luck!

Anyone in Nevada with ameri group? Going to my 4th doctor visit out 6 that's required.

I haven't done anything else but an upper GI. Psychologists on the 16th listening to some of

You I'm sure I'm on track. I'm not on any diet I haven't seen a nutritionist does this sound right?

HELP!!!!

I actually liked the liquid diet part. At first it was difficult in that I was tired and my "head" hunger messed with me. But as I went along and found that I wasn't dying of starvation, it began to give me confidence and excitement about the journey ahead. I was tired and the first two or three days I was cranky. But I spent a lot of time reading people's success stories, looking at pictures and planning out my first weeks after surgery. I have my surgery tomorrow and in retrospect, the 10 days have flown by! You can do it! We are so much more than what we eat!

Good luck!

Thank you for the encouraging words. So far so good. I hope all goes well for you on your surgery day. ????????????