Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I am so excited!! My surgery is on WED. My kids are away at camp and will be home 4 days after surgery ( I tried to get an earlier surgery date but they had none) I have not told them yet , they are 11 yr old girls. What and how did you tell your kids? I do not want them to think it is ok to get fat and eat and eat (not that they would be just like me!!) but I want to be as honest with them as possible any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

I don't have children, so maybe I am not the best to weigh in on this, but my nephews (7 and 9) overheard my sister saying something to me about the surgery (about a week before). The 9 year old was very concerned and wanted to know why I was having surgery. She told him it was so I could get healthier. At the time, I had my foot in a boot for a fracture in my heel, so he promptly said "Oh good. So she won't have to wear her boot anymore". :D Yep!

He did ask again another time, and I just told him that the drs were going to help me get healthier so I could do more stuff with him. I know your girls are older and they will see your change in eating, so it will be different than my situation, but I would think just stressing you goal for health and how it will increase your time and activity with them. Good luck! I am sure they will be supportive!

I didn't tell my son I was having surgery until it was over and then I didn't really say what it was for. He has anxiety and I knew he would worry excessively about me if he knew. He was really upset just seeing me in the hospital. He was 8 at the time, I just told him I had surgery on my stomach to make me feel better. That was enough to satisfy him.

My son was 12 when I had my surgery and I was upfront and honest with him about what I was doing and why. He said he was so happy that I wanted to get healthy and would support me no matter what. He asked about what they soukld actually do in the surgery and we googled the procedure and watched a 20 min video on the surgery on YouTube. This was actually great for us both because I got to see how it was done and it answered all his questions. I think the biggest impact for him was afterwards as I was great up to about day 5 and then I was hit with dizzy spells and lack of energy and needed help getting stuff done around the house. By day 15 when I started on food I started getting better with energy and feeing back to normal.

My husband and I are very open with our children. They knew that daddy was having surgery, and what it was for. This meant that when he came home from the hospital that they needed to be careful with his belly, Whether touching it or accidentally bumping it. They have even seen his incision sites. They also know that mommy will be having the surgery. The no touching mommy's tummy part will be hard as kids like to sit on me, and our youngest is a big cuddler. For reference, our children are 10, 8, 5, and 4. They have handled it well, and have asked good questions.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches