Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell the truth, exercising

How many of you do not exercise?

I'm lucky to get in 4 pitiful short workouts a week these last two weeks ! I'm 4 weeks post op it's hard for me to workout I just want to be lazy! I make myself though even if it's just a short walk or one round of low impact HIIT.

I try really hard to get in a few runs a week and a few trips to boxing class, however after plastics I was forced to take time off from exercise and I found that I can maintain under goal without really working out as much as I had been. The result is that I am now lazy and do not workout anywhere near as often as I used to. I workout now because it makes me happy and relieves stress, not because I am furiously sweating my way to a certain size.

How many of you do not exercise?

I'm 9 weeks post op, but didn't start regular exercise until some where around 6 weeks. I started c25k, and tomorrow I will start in circuit training on off c25k days.

I average about 45 minutes of exercise 5 days a week. Have little interest in doing any more.

I haven't exercised much. I got a stress fracture in my heel back in February and was in a boot for 9 weeks and now still have pain in my foot anytime I walk. Problem is I am using this as an excuse instead of going to ride the bike at the gym or at least moving around in the pool. I keep telling myself I will get moving as soon as I can sort out my foot issue. I hope I will! Mostly I still feel like my lazy old self... :(

Glad I am not alone...... I hope to start when I heal from my kidney removal surgery, but that will be while.

There have been studies as of late basically saying that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I know my husband who had a Gastric Bypass 9 years ago lost 120lbs without any formal excerise. He was very active, and kept busy all the time, but never exercised. He also had zero muscle tone when he got to his goal weight.

Me? I walked the first 6 months, and then joined a gym after my weight loss slowed. After I did a C25k type program, I fell in love with running. Now I run 3 miles 3-4 days a week. I also lift weights to tone, and have been getting decent results. Since I started running, my weight loss has also sped up and been pretty consistent every month. Who knows if there is a correlation.

I do know this. If you want to be thin, you eat right. If you want to be thin and healthy, you eat right and exercise.

@@judyoz - I think you get a pass for now! Kidney removal? Ouch!

yep, the only reason they found it early was because of preop testing for WLS. Literally saved my life! In more ways than one. :D:rolleyes::lol:

I am also under the impression that those who exercise are more likely to keep the weight off, and it also increases muscle mass which is so important because when we are losing weight this fast, we are not only losing fat, but also losing muscle mass. Muscle is what not only keeps you strong but keeps your metabolism revved up.

I certainly hope that this couch potato can also form better habits post WLS and have horrendous knee pain now. But I can't let it stand in my way anymore. I have 6 more weeks to walk, stretch, and do yoga. But I know I'm going to have to take it easy except for walking for about 6 weeks after surgery.

No "exercise" here. But then again my job consists of bending, kneeling, squatting and lifting 40-60 pounds 5-6 days/week. I lift, stack and feed 80 pound bales of hay every day. I log 8,000-12,000 Fitbit steps on work days and closer to 20,000 on weekends. I kayak, ski, hike and ride horse on my days off. After all that I have no time nor desire to exercise.

Edited by Kindle

I actually asked to start while in the hospital and he said ok but only treadmill and light circuit, then 2 Fridays ago he gave me the green light to go all out, haven't done treadmill cause of my knees, but starting to go heavy on the weights again, and started on free weights, I break it down by parts to get maximum benefits, and I do 3 times a week and rest on the weekends since my muscle needs time to repair and build, but I'm having fun and soon as I go back to work I will get my cardio, I'm also looking forward to getting a kayak as soon as I get down another 75-100 lbs off, great incentive for me!!!!!

I started walking after surgery. It's nothing special, but my boyfriend and my two Pekingnese puppies walk 5-7 days a week, about 45 minutes at a time. I'm not sure if it adds very much to my weight loss, but it's nice to all do something together!

I exercised religiously the first 10 months after surgery, and then became sporadic when I changed jobs. Now do very little in the way of formal exercise. I am WAY more active, though. I'm far from lazy, but I really should exercise! I am pretty weak, so I need to strength train. I also could use it for stress management, but I always find myself too busy and stressed to make time, lol.

That sounds like an excuse, even to me, but it's funny that on weekends I usually do find the time to some sort of exercise. On weekdays I devote every minute from 6 am to 6-7 pm to work (from the time I get up, get ready, drive there, work all day with no break, drive home) and then I go to bed about 930...so not much time left! Maybe I should be exercising in the evenings instead of getting on the boards :P