Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm getting a little disappointed

I had the band a week ago, and so far I've lost 41 pounds in a month including the pre op diet. On this site, I'm seeing all these horror stories of people who need revisions, and that most people don't get the band anymore. My doctors talked me out of the other surgeries, because I'm very young (24) and am realtime lay healthy, which by their admission is extremely rare in someone my size. (praise be to G-d!)

I would like to know if anyone here has had the band for a long time and hasn't had a horror story. I'd like to be reassured. Thanks!!

There are lots of posts here from people who have done wonderfully with their bands including Alex who started this site. Do remember many happy people move on with their lives after some time and no longer come here but the ones who are struggling still do. Follow your Drs orders and enjoy your new life.

Try not to let the horror stories get to you. They scare the crap out of me too. There are many success stories as well. I've only had my band 5 months but I'm thrilled with my tool and could not be happier. I'm also very happy that I still have all my intestines and nothing had to be rerouted.

Good luck on your journey!

@@arimerm1 hi there and congratulations on your surgery. I love my band and am so glad to have it as I would not have chosen another surgery. When I was doing my research I found this site which as then called Lapband Talk. I learned so much and will always be grateful for all the support and information. The site then merged to include other weight loss surgeries and that's what we have now, Bariatric Pal. Many of the old banders no longer participate because there was so much anti-band posting from people who chose other surgeries. People with revisions from band are not as many as it seems like but they are sometimes bitter and vociferously opinionated. I don't think they understand that they are undermining those of us who chose band. It would be like saying people with brown eyes are in for it, watch out! I try not to let them rattle me and I skip posts that even begin to sound negative. I am not here to get scared; I'm here to get support and to share experiences. My experience with the band has been great and I wouldn't trade it for anything. If something disastrous ever happens I will deal with it and of course we can just have our bands removed if need be. There's no going back from something more drastic. And the reason band is more rare now is because it requires followup -- quite a bit in the first year. I saw my surgeon 11 times. I bet the insurance company and hospital admin would much rather have him in the OR than shooting the breeze with me, but that's what we did. Not all surgeons want that much patient contact. Good luck to you with all that is ahead -- such an exciting new chapter in your life. Here's to choosing ourselves and our healthy futures. We are worth it!

Opinions are like Navels everyone has one. Don't be afraid or concerned by the negative nellies on here. What they don't tell you sometimes is some of the failures of bands are their fault. Not All but if they were honest with themselves and you they might admit some failure on their part to follow the instructions. There are people on here and other sites everyday who talk about drinking soda, eating pizza, on and on then can't figure out why the band isn't working for them. So, they make it their mission to discourage and scare people away from the band. I think it's mean and I can never figure out the pay off for them. There are failures in every type of weight loss surgery. Sleeves and by pass patients have failures as well as bandsters. Stay Calm and talk to your Dr. Ask questions and my advice for now stay off of these sites.

First of all, congratulations on getting the band and losing 41 pounds! I joined this site a few days after getting my band in November of 2010, so I am almost five years banded. I haven't been on here in a long time becasue as one other post said, there was a lot of negativety and some mean posts. I just want to reassure you that if you follow your doctors directions, you should be just fine. I have had absolutley NO complications. The first year I saw my surgeon monthly, recieved small fills, and followed the rules. I lost 100 pound in 9 months and loved it. The only rule I didnt follow was exercising. Looking back, I wished I had. Through the second year I gained about 15 pounds, but was still happy with myself. I was fortunate and don't have much extra skin, but enough that I wanted to do something about it. So a couple months ago I started exercising on a Bowflex Max, and have dropped two pant sizes and 15 pounds. I just had another fill yesterday because, as I'm sure you know, as you lose weith the fat pad around your stomach shrinks and fills are needed. My ultimate goal is maybe ten more pounds, but if I don't lose another pound, I'd still be completely satisfied. Hang in there and stay positive! If you have any questions feel free to ask me! Good luck!