Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What you go through doesn't define you! My story.

I recently found old pictures of myself from my 5th grade graduation ceremony and those from 8th grade. It was during that time when certain adult family members couldn't keep their disgusting hands to themselves. The pictures definitely reflected my pain. I gained 120 pounds in middle school and at the age of 14, I entered high school at 260 pounds! It makes me sad even typing this. I ate and ate hoping to gain weight so that I would no longer be a sexual target. Once it stopped, I still carried those bad eating behaviors with me. Years later as a young adult, through Christ I was able to let go and forgive those who hurt me. Life seemed to get better emotionally for me. Although my weight was still a struggle for me, it didn't control my life. I had the lapband in 2009, unfortunately through a sham get rich quick medical office who was eventually shut down and without much success I had it removed in 2012. My husband, a pastor was very supportive at the time. I decided to get the sleeve in 2013 and during preop I found out I was pregnant. March of 2013, 3 months into my pregnancy I lost my baby. It's by far the worst experience I've ever dealt with in my life. I ate my pain away. Just a month after my husband became physically abusive. I found out he was cheating and his fear of me outing him out to those whom he preached to he beat me even more and eventually filed for divorce a few months later. In a span of 4 months I lost a child, my marriage, my home and for a moment my sanity. I remember waking up crying asking God why am I still here. I was in so much pain emotionally. I begin taking my anger out in the gym and eventually lost 80 pounds and I felt really good about myself. Sadly I only maintained it for about 9 months and here I am a year later at my highest weight ever. I am 27 years old and I know I'm going to die if I don't change my habits. I begin preop requirements for the Gastric sleeve in January 2015. Meetings with the nutritionist, psychiatrist, stress testing, endoscopy, nasal probe, etc. The bariatric team had me pick a surgery date before getting an approval which I thought was weird but I chose June 22, 2015. They waited 8 days prior to the surgery date to do so even after many calls to them bugging them. My surgeon requested I have a IVC filter placed because I have a high BMI and it's just a precaution. It was placed 4 days before my scheduled surgery Date on June 18, 2015. In recovery from the ivc filter placement I get the call that my surgery had been denied for lack of a 3 month medically supervised diet. I went 3 months but it was less than 90 days consecutive. I went January, February and March. Tears just begin to flow down my face. They suggested that we just start the medically supervised diet over again. I saw the nutritionist that day and set my 2nd appointment for July 17, 2015. I estimated I would be looking at surgery in early October. This past Thursday July 2, 2015, I got an unexpected call from the surgeons office saying they had appealed that decision and they won! I'm approved and scheduled for surgery this Thursday July 9!!!!

I recently found old pictures of myself from my 5th grade graduation ceremony and those from 8th grade. It was during that time when certain adult family members couldn't keep their disgusting hands to themselves. The pictures definitely reflected my pain. I gained 120 pounds in middle school and at the age of 14, I entered high school at 260 pounds! It makes me sad even typing this. I ate and ate hoping to gain weight so that I would no longer be a sexual target. Once it stopped, I still carried those bad eating behaviors with me. Years later as a young adult, through Christ I was able to let go and forgive those who hurt me. Life seemed to get better emotionally for me. Although my weight was still a struggle for me, it didn't control my life. I had the lapband in 2009, unfortunately through a sham get rich quick medical office who was eventually shut down and without much success I had it removed in 2012. My husband, a pastor was very supportive at the time. I decided to get the sleeve in 2013 and during preop I found out I was pregnant. March of 2013, 3 months into my pregnancy I lost my baby. It's by far the worst experience I've ever dealt with in my life. I ate my pain away. Just a month after my husband became physically abusive. I found out he was cheating and his fear of me outing him out to those whom he preached to he beat me even more and eventually filed for divorce a few months later. In a span of 4 months I lost a child, my marriage, my home and for a moment my sanity. I remember waking up crying asking God why am I still here. I was in so much pain emotionally. I begin taking my anger out in the gym and eventually lost 80 pounds and I felt really good about myself. Sadly I only maintained it for about 9 months and here I am a year later at my highest weight ever. I am 27 years old and I know I'm going to die if I don't change my habits. I begin preop requirements for the Gastric sleeve in January 2015. Meetings with the nutritionist, psychiatrist, stress testing, endoscopy, nasal probe, etc. The bariatric team had me pick a surgery date before getting an approval which I thought was weird but I chose June 22, 2015. They waited 8 days prior to the surgery date to do so even after many calls to them bugging them. My surgeon requested I have a IVC filter placed because I have a high BMI and it's just a precaution. It was placed 4 days before my scheduled surgery Date on June 18, 2015. In recovery from the ivc filter placement I get the call that my surgery had been denied for lack of a 3 month medically supervised diet. I went 3 months but it was less than 90 days consecutive. I went January, February and March. Tears just begin to flow down my face. They suggested that we just start the medically supervised diet over again. I saw the nutritionist that day and set my 2nd appointment for July 17, 2015. I estimated I would be looking at surgery in early October. This past Thursday July 2, 2015, I got an unexpected call from the surgeons office saying they had appealed that decision and they won! I'm approved and scheduled for surgery this Thursday July 9!!!!

I am so thrilled for you! I read that whole story on pins and needles just hoping you would say you could get the surgery! I ached for what you've been through. I know this can be a whole new start for you; and one that you deserve.

If you are traveling by air, take bouillon cubes! We wish we would have, because the airports do not have anything you are allowed to eat, and the stress of travel can wear you down. With those, all you have to do is ask for some hot Water and you're all set. You might travel with Jello too. We also could not have made it without Gas-X strips afterward. And if you really want to splurge? Get some sugar-free popsicles and pack them in your checked baggage. You will feel like you have retained some semblance of "normal" that way, after the surgery.

You are going to do great! So excited for you! You have worked so hard for this

The battle isn't yours it's the Lord, so happy and proud of you for all you have overcome, truly shows how strong of a person you are don't give up, you got this!!

You are so strong! Satan didn't know who he was messing with! You've got this and the Lord will be with you every step of the way. Find that inner strength and get back to the gym. This time with your new sleeve. Just remember don't do anything to the extreme. Slow and steady, it's a marathon not a sprint! You are a survivor!! Keep us posted and let us know exactly how to pray for your needs. Now lay it down, take a deep breath, and trust God for the rest.

Thank you all for comments of encouragement! I'm so ready for this journey and it feels amazing having people praying for your success. :wub: