Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days Post Op and doing good I think...but still a bit of a head game

Surgery was June 29,2015.

I know this doesn't sound like an an "issue" but after the first three days, where getting 20 ounces of Water down was a chore, I have been able to drink a lot more and especially my Meal Replacement shakes. For example:

Breakfast: 15 ounces of Thorne Research Meal Replacement shake

Lunch: 20 ounces of Isopure Punch flavored crap ( I have grown to tolerate the aftertaste :) )

Dinner: 15 Ounces of BSN Protein Shake with a scoop of Thorne Meal replacement.

Probably drank another 20-25 ounces water throughout the day, did all my melt away Vitamins and drank 4oz of amino acids mix.

To me, seems like a lot being that I was struggling a few days ago and what I have read on here on what people can handle in the first week or two. I am SUPER cautious and sip and such, but find myself devouring drinks faster than I should which scares me. Maybe my "pouch" is tolerating fast, healing fast??? Spent most of the evening last night on my feet keeping small children from blowing their hands off with fireworks at a buddies house.

***My pre op was 2 weeks lean Proteins, veggies and low low carb and then 2 weeks liquid. I survived it all with NO cheating. I wish I would have, I find myself dreaming of pizza, burgers, steaks, tacos, burritos and my biggest demon...cigarettes. This is not an "easy" fix like some people jabbed at me when they found out, this is rough...but keeping my mind at bay is the hardest!

I struggled at first to drink but then it got easy. I also don't have issues with having to chew like crazy. Everyone's journey is different and sounds like you are doing great!

I had the same experience. After day 5, fluids have been no issue for me. I routinely will drink 1-2 liters during a workout. Asked the doctor about this, and he was actually quite pleased. Wait until you have solid foods...you will then know you have had surgery! The restriction is quite strange and takes awhile to get used to it.

Thanks for the input. Glad to know I'm not going crazy and blowing out my pouch! :)

I think I can relate to your drinking worries, I was freaking out since surgery on June 10th, until last Friday when my surgeon on my follow up showed me how much. A sip was, now I'm comfortable drinking liquids and the only time u get weary I s when I'm eating or drinking and I get the hic ups, I think it's a sign that I'm getting full, as for your cravings I went through the same thing until a week ago when I went to soft foods and I began tasting my family's foods, that was short lived, so far I have not been the same since before surgery, my taste buds are very intense and I can pick up on things I never did before, like fries and burger from Micky Ds tasted like old oil, and sour meat, also some pizza that tasted very processed, but I am happy about this side effect even if short lived, I crave healthier more natural things now, so don't worry, I heard the same room many of my Loser" friends, good luck everyone is here for each other

I've had no problems with Clear Liquids the day after my surgery. Every once in a while I would get a sore feeling when I took a sip, but it would pass quickly. I just had my first full liquid, powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury choc powder w/ Fairlife skim, and had no problem getting it down. I drank it in 10 minutes.

I've had no restriction what so ever! Very weird. I have read that people struggle getting 8 ounces down in 30 minutes. I go to doctor for follow up on Tuesday.

Edited by lisaluvsgreys

This is not an "easy" fix like some people jabbed at me when they found out, this is rough...but keeping my mind at bay is the hardest!

Keep up the good work! People just don't get what we are going through! I've told very few people I had the sleeve. I went in for a hiatal hernia repair and gallbladder removal; and that is all they know! Hang in there!

I'm still in pain killers, and have not left the house since I came home Friday evening from the hospital. So after reading your post, I way behind on exercise.

I think ignorance and a failure to understand is the reason people think it's a quick fix, what they don't realize is that it is harder than they will ever realize, trauma to the body, a Jon reversible procedure, and a permanent discipline that if not followed can hurt you, so yeah quick fix my ex fat butt

We were sleeved same day! I can do pretty well with liquids, too. I'm getting close to being able to do 8 ounces within about 20 minutes. My only issue is that I have a lot of gurgling and a sensation of tightness in my throat and chest, which I think may be reflux? I'm on an antacid, but I'm going to call the office on Monday and see what they say. Congratulations!

Oh, and you are much better than me with the Isopure crap. I bought a bottle yesterday, took one sip, and had to throw it away. :P

Oh, and you are much better than me with the Isopure crap. I bought a bottle yesterday, took one sip, and had to throw it away. :P

The blue raspberry is not that bad!

Isopure was definitely an "acquired" taste. The first few bottles and I was about to question the sanity of the rave reviewers of it. I actually don't mind it now. All flavors. It's not as good as the nectar flavors though. ????

I think ignorance and a failure to understand is the reason people think it's a quick fix, what they don't realize is that it is harder than they will ever realize, trauma to the body, a Jon reversible procedure, and a permanent discipline that if not followed can hurt you, so yeah quick fix my ex fat butt

Not to speak for everyone, but I know how and why I got where I am. Two years of psychological therapy before this sleeve decision was my foundation. People who take jabs at me... Well... You stated it great. I cooled down my rage and began to forgive. Behind almost every severe case of obesity is emotional and physical trauma issues. From the past or present. The "fat suit" was/is our PTSD. The sleeve is just important a tool as my therapist. I mainly told people I trusted and loved... Most of the rest were told what was on my doctor orders... Hiatal Hernia repair and esophageal lengthening. Lol. ????

It sounds like you're doing really well! I'm WAY behind you in the journey. I went for my first appointment and found out I had to be 4 months nicotine free in order for them to do the surgery. I had a mini-meltdown afterwards, so I decided to work on quitting first, so I can go into this as a non-smoker. Went to my doc and got Chantix. Quit date is July 14th. I'm hoping I can kick this nasty habit so I can move forward with prepping for the surgery. Best wishes to you!

It sounds like you're doing really well! I'm WAY behind you in the journey. I went for my first appointment and found out I had to be 4 months nicotine free in order for them to do the surgery. I had a mini-meltdown afterwards, so I decided to work on quitting first, so I can go into this as a non-smoker. Went to my doc and got Chantix. Quit date is July 14th. I'm hoping I can kick this nasty habit so I can move forward with prepping for the surgery. Best wishes to you!

My surgeon didn't even care. ( no he is not a hack, actually awarded a Bariatric Super Doctor award in Texas) Just said to try and start quitting smoking. I think it has to do with insurance sometimes . I have private insurance and they don't cover WLS. My hiatal hernia was bad enough they approved it and he said I'm a go. I smoked until the week before. I didn't know crap about the smoking deal until I started reading this forum. I wish you the best and beating the Beast (nicotine) is rough. Keep us updated.