Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2009 band patient, hate it, see Dr Wed about sleeve

I'm nervous. I've gained all my pre band weight back then then some. I was thinking about getting the sleeve if my insurance allows me to get it.

I HATE the band and regret it. I need all the person experience with the sleeve good and bad...PLEASE any advice.

I've never had the band, so I don't know what you're dealing with. A distant relative had a band-to-sleeve revision last year and she's happy. Having heard her story, and on the advice of my surgeon, I went straight for the sleeve. My other option was standard bypass, but that seemed like more life-long maintenance and potential issues to worry about.

At first, it's just surgery recovery. A coworker described my post-op diet as "newborn on fast-forward." I think that's pretty accurate. I was on solid foods after 6 weeks, and almost entirely unrestricted by 3 months.

At around 5 months out, I started getting hungry again. Not family-bucket-of-KFC hungry, but I-forgot-to-eat-Breakfast hungry. Today, I can eat about two chicken legs and feel very full, and a few cubes of cheese or a dozen almonds is enough to satisfy me for several hours. If I eat too much - even one extra bite - I puke.

I can drink as much as I want before a meal. Gulping traps air in my stomach and causes a burp, so I sip or use a straw. More than a sip during or right after a meal makes me feel overfull and causes me to puke.

Every food I've tried so far works, but some didn't at first. I don't have trouble with straws. Some do. I haven't tried bubble gum or alcohol.

I'm a band to sleeve revision. I had my sleeve surgery on June 1st. I am so much happier with the sleeve. I haven't thrown up once. I can eat like a real person although the portions are tiny. I can eat chicken again - I couldn't eat chicken in any shape, sort or form with my band. I don't have to get up in a restaurant and go to the bathroom and throw up the little bit I just ate because it's stuck.

I can drink just fine with a straw. I hate Water so the only way I will drink it is ice cold with a straw. And adding Crystal Light or anything else doesn't help. I just have to make myself drink it.

I am so glad that band is gone. I don't miss the port moving and scraping across a nerve and hurting like heck. I don't miss throwing up everything I tried to eat. I'm happy with my choice to revise to the sleeve.

Thank you both for your responses. Please continue to keep me posted...