Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how have your exercise habits changed?

once upon a time, I was quite athletic. I was a runner into my 20's but then stopped as I let other things take priority. I have wanted to get back into running forever but just haven't been able to do it. I played on a women's over 30 soccer team for a couple years but I couldn't really get into good physical shape. I tried starting up running again, doing the couch to 5k and things like that but in the past few years it seems like my body just couldn't handle it. I would have shin splits so bad after starting that I would have to quit and even after taking long breaks from running if I tried to start up my shins would hurt as though I had never stopped. I believe that the excess weight that I am carrying is a lot of the reason for the pain, if not all of the reason. I am wondering if anyone has dealt with similar issues before surgery and if that has changed since having surgery and losing weight.

I was never athletic, but I have always been pretty active. I lost weight on WW years ago, and got to be pretty regular at the gym. Unfortunately I got out of the habit, and then lost my mom and generally wasn't taking very good care of myself. It was harder to get started because of my weight gain. I walked after surgery and then joined the Y about a month ago (8 weeks post op.) Now I've added strength training and I'm starting to see results. I don't have the same aches and pains with working out that I used to. I look forward to my trips to the gym. It seems to me that if you have a history of exercise, it will make it easier for you to return to it after surgery. I think it is harder for people who haven't been in the habit of being active. Good luck!

I wasn't super athletic, but I was in shape, could keep up with the "guys". As I got heavier my back issues were exacerbated and I couldn't anymore. Even standing for 5 minutes hurt so bad. I'm a little over 2 months post-op and I'm already able to do 2 miles of a brisk walk without legitimate pain (not including muscle pain afterward from a good workout) and I strength train. My surgeon stresses strength training every time I see him (boy he's annoying lol) and he's got a point - it strengthens you. Your core muscles keep you standing straight and there isn't so much stress on your legs; leg training strengthens your muscles there too. There is really no bad you can do strength training... it's all connected somehow. That may help with your splints. It could also be you are in need of new sneakers. The ones you fit before will likely not be appropriate for your feet as they thin while you drop weight.

Edited by LadyRouge

Like you, I missed running but kept getting little injuries if I tried to run with all my extra weight so I just gave up. When I had my surgery, I started with walking for 20 minutes (and it wore me out). I've already ran a 5K and I'm training for a full marathon in December. Yesterday I ran 8 miles on my long run. I keep reminding myself that every pound I lose makes it a little easier to run. You can get back to it too. You'll be amazed at how much better you'll feel.

I wasn't super athletic, but I was in shape, could keep up with the "guys". As I got heavier my back issues were exacerbated and I couldn't anymore. Even standing for 5 minutes hurt so bad. I'm a little over 2 months post-op and I'm already able to do 2 miles of a brisk walk without legitimate pain (not including muscle pain afterward from a good workout) and I strength train. My surgeon stresses strength training every time I see him (boy he's annoying lol) and he's got a point - it strengthens you. Your core muscles keep you standing straight and there isn't so much stress on your legs; leg training strengthens your muscles there too. There is really no bad you can do strength training... it's all connected somehow. That may help with your splints. It could also be you are in need of new sneakers. The ones you fit before will likely not be appropriate for your feet as they thin while you drop weight.

Thankfully I have always done strength training, even as I have gained weight. It is what I switched to because I couldn't handle running anymore. And I've tried several new pairs of shoes, even had a PT review my gait and tell me the best type and so on but nothing helped :(

Edited by walflower2

Like you, I missed running but kept getting little injuries if I tried to run with all my extra weight so I just gave up. When I had my surgery, I started with walking for 20 minutes (and it wore me out). I've already ran a 5K and I'm training for a full marathon in December. Yesterday I ran 8 miles on my long run. I keep reminding myself that every pound I lose makes it a little easier to run. You can get back to it too. You'll be amazed at how much better you'll feel.

That's great! I hope I can get on the same track. I really miss it

I am a CPED (Certified Pedorthist) which is like being a pharmacist for an Orthopedic Surgeon or Podiatrist. Every pound of body weight translates to 3-7 pounds of pressure per square inch on the foot. If you weight 200 pounds, that is about 1000 pounds per square inch for your feet. Any misbehavior of the feet can cause pain in the rest of your skeletal system such as ankle, knee, hip and back. Our excess weight stretches the muscles and ligaments that support the 3 arches of the foot. When you think about it, it is amazing we are able to walk at all! We all need to wear the proper equipment when we start to walk/run or any exercise routine. Shin splints are chiefly caused by over-pronation of the foot putting too much stress on the long muscle (tibialis) next to the shin bone (tibia). The pulling on this muscle causes micro-tears which causes the pain. I would strongly recommend a high quality over the counter arch support and an appropriate running shoe. I prefer running shoes even if you are a walker as they are constructed to handle the extra stress running places on the foot. Make sure you are fitted correctly, this is not apparel, it is your health and wellness equipment! When you buy a new pair, make sure to write the date of purchase underneath the insole/arch support. Your running shoes must be replaced every 4-600 miles! Doesn't matter how much you paid for the shoes, the soles (not the tread) will start compressing and exaggerate your foot's bad habits. Now get going!

I am a CPED (Certified Pedorthist) which is like being a pharmacist for an Orthopedic Surgeon or Podiatrist. Every pound of body weight translates to 3-7 pounds of pressure per square inch on the foot. If you weight 200 pounds, that is about 1000 pounds per square inch for your feet. Any misbehavior of the feet can cause pain in the rest of your skeletal system such as ankle, knee, hip and back. Our excess weight stretches the muscles and ligaments that support the 3 arches of the foot. When you think about it, it is amazing we are able to walk at all! We all need to wear the proper equipment when we start to walk/run or any exercise routine. Shin splints are chiefly caused by over-pronation of the foot putting too much stress on the long muscle (tibialis) next to the shin bone (tibia). The pulling on this muscle causes micro-tears which causes the pain. I would strongly recommend a high quality over the counter arch support and an appropriate running shoe. I prefer running shoes even if you are a walker as they are constructed to handle the extra stress running places on the foot. Make sure you are fitted correctly, this is not apparel, it is your health and wellness equipment! When you buy a new pair, make sure to write the date of purchase underneath the insole/arch support. Your running shoes must be replaced every 4-600 miles! Doesn't matter how much you paid for the shoes, the soles (not the tread) will start compressing and exaggerate your foot's bad habits. Now get going!

I do have over-pronation and have insoles that were made for me. I have always had issues with over-pronation so I always make sure that I have appropriate shoes. I dealt with shin splints when I was younger and ran daily but at that time it was tolerable to keep running and just ice them. But more recently the pain is much worse, and doesn't ease once I stop running, to the point that my shins are sore to the touch. I went through PT for a while but I think that a big part of the problem is the amount of weight I am carrying. I do hope to be able to run again so I will see in the next few months how my weight loss goes

You will be amazed at the difference your weight loss makes. Tomorrow is my 4 week anniversary and it is night and day when I play tennis. Have you tried the Brooks Ariel or New Balance 1340? A strong motion control shoe with good shock absorbtion can help. You may need a different type of custom orthotic. There are many types and methods of creating customs. Best of luck!

Thankfully I have always done strength training, even as I have gained weight. It is what I switched to because I couldn't handle running anymore. And I've tried several new pairs of shoes, even had a PT review my gait and tell me the best type and so on but nothing helped :(

I'm sorry hon, I really hope you find a solution. I wish I could think of something.