Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG after long term band removal?

Hello everyone! I've seen many posts about relatively short term revisions between both operations. By short term I mean anywhere from a 2-in-1 surgery to 6 months after band removal. I'm curious if anyone has personally had or heard of someone having had a revision years later? And what was the outcome?

I was banded for maybe only 10 months, 11 maximum In 2005. I had a port flip that went corrected for 2-3 weeks, I saw my PCP at the time who did nothing and I was so dehydrated and my abdomen became so swollen that I went to the ER where a barium swallow and imaging confirmed the blockage of excess saline constricting my stomach. I had a corrective surgery and about 3-4 months later I had minor slippage after my stomach had lost the majority of the swelling and some erosion. I have been fine, but fat, ever since.

I'm currently seeking a VSG revision, but can't find anyone in a similar situation for a point of reference. I'm hoping my stomach is sound enough to be operated on. I had a horrible consultation experience this week and am now looking at other surgeons.

I've had an abdominal ultra sound and various chest/abdominal scans with no imaging reports mentioning my stomach. My PCP believes I'm healthy enough to with stand surgery and could be very successful. So with that said, I know we're only patients here so I should take answers lightly, what do you feel like could be my biggest set back? Is the 10 year gap in my favor or does the time frame mean nothing?

Thanks!

Edited by samanthaftw

I'd just like to add I'm not shopping doctors because I was told something I didn't like. I just was treated very poorly by staff and was made to feel belittled and like I was at fault for my lapband complications though I had no control over a port flip.

I'm a little confused - did you have a band in 2015? I would think if it's been a while since you had your band out you should have enough healing to withstand a sleeve. What does the doctor say?

I had an all-in-one surgery - the band came out and the sleeve was done at the same time. My surgeon did warn me before the surgery that if I had any major scarring or issues with the band he might not be able to do it at the same time but that wasn't the case.

I had the band installed and removed in 2005. So I'm post op 10 years. My phone corrected 2005 to this year and I didn't catch it, my apologizes. I'm going to correct that now.

Unfortunately the surgeon didn't say much of anything. He refused to answer questions when asked if being 10 years post op was in my favor or what the possible revision complications could be. I also need my gallbladder removed so he said he wanted to remove that first and simultaneously explore the condition of my stomach while inside before WLS. Which I was really excited to hear because that's what I was hoping for. I'm on their surgery schedule for the gallbladder removal but have been told if he can't get all of my bariatric surgical records than he won't remove my gallbladder, which doesn't make much sense to me and no one could even answer how a gallbladder removal and my stomach are intertwined.

I had lap band about 2005 also and removed 2011. Just had sleeve done 6/25/15. Same surgeon for both procedures and band removal. Everything went well.

I am sorry I think I would go to a different doctor. With questions and those kinds of answers, I would go find a new doctor that will answer with real answers. Sorry just my opinion.

I am past the point of asking doctors and getting terrible or no answers. After my mother having cancer last year and passing away, I have learned to not be afraid to ask the questions and get answers or move on.

Hi i had my lapband in 2010, removed it in aug 2014 due to it failing and 10 weeks later i was revised to sleeve. Everything went well. I do not doubt that you should be ok to be revised 10 years later. Having said that, i would look into both sleeve and bypass as your options not just one.

Best wishes for you on your weight loss journey.

Thank you everyone!

I have decided to go with a different surgeon. Not to mention I was basically removed from the surgeon I saws service. They require a $2,500 fee for an after care program, but want $7,000 for the same exact program for a revision paitient. They didn't like when I asked why/had questions about the policy. It just felt like they didn't want to deal with anyone who had any concerns about their program. Thankfully I already started seeking other surgeons and am now dealing with my PCP to get a new referral, but now they're slacking too :-/ I'm literally in their waiting room as I type having a sit in to get my referral. It's been over a week of unreturned calls and messages, I even ended up with an appointment to talk to my PCP directly. I made very clear the hospital I want to go to only does a phone referral service and even gave them the number to call the referral in. They ended up faxing a referral to somebody but certainly wasn't the bariatric program I'm planning on going to. So to insure they call it in and I can get an appointment with the surgeon next week I'm sitting here waiting.

I also have decided that I don't mind between RNY and VSG. Well... Yes I would prefer the sleeve but I'm just as at peace with the RNY. I'm essentially going to leave it up to my surgeon to determine what's best for me and whatever the condition of my stomach is once he knows what it looks like.

I hope all goes well. Luckily mine was covered by my insurance. It stinks having to jump through all there hoops but I just kept doing what I had to do. I had no problems with my surgeon and they were willing to answer all my questions, which is why I choose him again.

Mine is covered by insurance too, 100%. I'm very fortunate. The new team I'm hoping to go with is at a teaching hospital and has a very well known bariatric department. Because of how my insurance and their department is set up I can have surgery as early as 3 weeks after my consultation. Which is exciting!