Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too many calories?

I had my 3 month post-op appointment last week. I asked my dr. how many calories I should be eating and he said 1200-1400. That seems high to me. Previously I had been reading 900-1000, but I had been stuck for awhile. About how many calories does everyone eat?

Month 1 I averaged about 500 calories.

Months 2-4 I averaged about 800 calories.

Months 5-6 I averaged about 1,000 calories.

Months 7-8 I averaged about 1,200 calories.

I hit goal about 8.3 months post-op and started trying (trying!) to eat 1,400 calories and am now trying (Trying!) to eat 1,750 calories. I'm now 5 pounds below goal. I think that's the sweet spot for me. For now.

That seems a little high for 3 months post op. Eating would be a full time job. I agree with Ann's calories. I didn't try to restrict my calories (per my doctor) but mine naturally fell around 1000 after 3 months. I'm at 9 months now and I'm usually around 900-1200 a day. I'm still steadily losing.

I am almost 5 months post op and my goal is to hit 800 a day. Most days, I fall between 600 and 800.

I am just getting started on this journey and am only 3 wks post op but my dietician has a year schedule for me. It is suggesting 1,000 calories at the 1 year mark. Though, that is probably subject to change.

8 weeks post op here and I average about 750 a day, sometimes less. That seems high to me too. I could not have eaten that many calories and stayed high Protein at that point. I agree that @@VSGAnn2014 sounds perfect.

That seems high to me. I'm 9 months out and stay between 900-1100 a day. Usually don't reach 1100. I'm 10 lbs from goal. I don't plan to up my calories any until I get below goal.

I think it varies by how much weight you need to lose, but I was

400 -600 months 1 - 3

600 - 800 months 3 - 8

I just raised my calories to 1,000 at 9mths out.

Eating that much at only 3 mths sounds like a lot to me unless you work out daily and weight lift.

I am also only in my third week post-op and managed 670 calories today and feel engorged. Between the food and trying to get my Water in I am stuffed.

The number you need to focus on is your Protein target. Everyone's calories will vary depending on their specific requirements. Your NUT knows more about YOU than those of us on this forum. I would hesitate to encourage anyone to limit their calories more than their NUT advises, especially if they aren't consistently getting in their protein.

Re "your NUT knows more about YOU than those of us on this forum do" ...

... in my experience, not necessarily. The first NUT I saw was 80 years old, at least, and had worked most of her career with diabetic patients. She kept telling me s**t like: "This is just like meal-planning for your husband." (I LOLed.) And "Here's how you can build a grocery shopping list." (I LOLed.) And here's the difference between vegetables and fruits." (I b***h-slapped her. Not really. But I did LOL again.)

I quickly wound up with another NUT and with a physician's assistant who were both great. The advice they gave was to try to get up to 1,000 calories by 6 months post-op (I started at 235 pounds, was 216 on surgery day, and had a goal weight of 150).

It all worked out fine for me.

BTW, I'm 69 years old and a moderate exerciser - walking, strength training, and much more active than I was pre-op.

My NUT has never given me any caloric guidelines.

My NUT and surgeon both had different opinions. My NUT said between 600 and 900 at 6 weeks out and my surgeon said 1000 to 1100.

I have my MFP set to 1000 and try not to go over that each day. I do log and track everything including veggies.

I think the conversation between you & your nutritionist has to be a 2 way street. Most are well informed, but not all. Personally speaking I had to inform my nutritionist of the difference between stevia herb and those white powder packets of truvia or stevia in the raw.
If you have questions they should be able to answer them or at least point you in the right direction. It's hard to get an answer here since each doctor/program has a different protocol. YOUR program should be able to give some general guidelines.

Help. I've gained four pounds this week and do't know why. Thinking it's Fluid as I am tracking my calories and carbs.

I am four days awY from my one year anniversary and the scale is going the wrong way!