Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op gastric sleeve....always feeling really full when I eat

I am going on 3 weeks post op gastric sleeve. I think I may be overeating when I do eat. I only eat about 5 or 6 forkfuls and then feel so full that I have to lie down for 30 mins. What am I doing wrong?

Slow down and try to learn to stop before you have the last bite that pushes you over the edge. If you take smaller bites, chew thoroughly and wait between bites you will start to learn where your threshold is. Also, weighing and measuring your portion ahead of time will help you tell how much is too much.

Nothing, @msredd. That's exactly how I feel too. I just don't lie down when I feel full -- my nutritionist told me not to lay down for at least 30 minutes after eating or drinking.

It's part of the process, I think. It'll get better. This morning I couldn't even eat 1/3 of 1 scrambled egg before needing to stop!! :angry:

So that's actually not a great sign from what I was told by my Dr. and nutritionist - it can stretch out the sleeve and just generally suck. That pain is part of the feedback your body is giving you - if it hurts it's not good and it's too much. I was told to do the following:

1. get really small bowls/plates and forks/spoons - small bites and slow eating are critical to not putting pressure on things
  2. Measure your food before you eat. - get half cup scoops and if that's too much get a 1/3 cup or 1/4th cup scoop and start with that
  3. Find a way to eat more slowly. This is hard for everyone of any size - we aren't socialized to eat slowly. For myself I have to eat while doing something else with my hands right now. I type and pick up the bowl and fork (I eat anything that isn't pure liquid with a fork - including yogurt - because it's less shovel like than a spoon) take a bite or two and put the bowl down and go back to typing.
  4. As soon as I have the first indication that I'm approaching full I put the bowl and fork into the refrigerator and walk away before it hurts. If I leave it near by I will keep eating absentmindedly and it will hurt.

I used a baby spoon and an app that timed 90 seconds from one bite to the next. Helped me take small bites and eat slowly. At 3 weeks out I couldn't eat more than 1/4 cup at a time.

??? I am 3 weeks and 2 days post op. 3 days ago I was extremely sleepy, my left side pain had came back. I assumed I was dehydrated so I made sure to take it easy and get all my fluids in. The next day I was better but off and on have left side pain that is worse then I have ever felt and at times almost feels like something is falling out. Weird I know..., pain killers help and certain positions I really don't feel anything. I'm concerned cuz it's a new feeling. I'm still eating well without discomfort. Anyone else have these symptoms?

Yes CassieT I am experiencing the same thing. I think it is because I lifted more weight than I should have "on the go". Have you lifted more than 10lbs?