Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 4 of liquid diet...feel awful.

So today is Day 4 of my clear liquid diet for my VSG surgery on July 14. I'm on day 3 of a headache and today is the first day where I'm starting to feel pissed off and am about to give up cause I don't know if I can do this for 10 more days. The Protein Shakes are all disgusting and making me literally gag. I've tried 7 different ones and they all are gross but I was able to tolerate them on days 1 and 2 but since yesterday I've been gagging and I just vomited my last shake up. Yesterday I gave in and ate some chicken because my doctor told me it was okay when I saw him Monday. I knew this was going to be hard but I physically feel ill. I feel nauseous, bloated, and have this awful headache. Is this normal?

Have you tried blending the Protein shake first? Its a bit frothy but goes down so much easier and more like a milk shake. Add some ice too! I made some of mine into ice-cream as well and its not too bad. The other thing you could do is alternate with broth or clear Soups, adding non flavoured Protein to them. I start mine on Monday but have tried different ways of getting them down over the past week. The other thing I did was buy coconut Water, with added protein and its yum.

I will probably be here soon too, crying and wailing and saying I hate it but we need to do it to make sure 1) we are ready and optimal for the op and 2) healthy and protein full to make a good recovery.

Best of luck and will be sat on the losers bench with you on Monday.

We CAN do it, might jut take a bit of time and trial before we get to like it lol.

Hugs

Kate

Have you tried blending the Protein shake first? Its a bit frothy but goes down so much easier and more like a milk shake. Add some ice too! I made some of mine into ice-cream as well and its not too bad. The other thing you could do is alternate with broth or clear Soups, adding non flavoured Protein to them. I start mine on Monday but have tried different ways of getting them down over the past week. The other thing I did was buy coconut Water, with added protein and its yum.

I will probably be here soon too, crying and wailing and saying I hate it but we need to do it to make sure 1) we are ready and optimal for the op and 2) healthy and protein full to make a good recovery.

Best of luck and will be sat on the losers bench with you on Monday.

We CAN do it, might jut take a bit of time and trial before we get to like it lol.

Hugs

Kate

Yes this last one I did in the blender with ice. I've tried Water, milk, soy milk, and coconut milk also to mix. Nothing seems to be helping. I do have several kinds of broth and popsicles that are keeping me sane. I ordered some more protein stuff to try online but it's not going to be here for like a week cause the holiday. Not sure what to do till then and my doctor's office is closed today.

Edited by Vad1988

Advocate Meal Replacement shakes are pretty good and very filling. They come in lots of flavored and usually arrive in 2 days.

'Advocare'

I drink the Premier shakes... I get them at costco. They are pre-mixed so it takes away from the awful texture that Protein powder often has. That is what I used to get through my two weeks! Day 1 and 2 were the WORST for me. By day 4 I wasn't feel hungry.... I had crazy cravings but the hunger subsided. Hang in there cause its worth it in the end... I dropped 26lbs in 2 weeks!

Headaches are normal during the pre-op liquid diet, sorry to say. I felt horrible during the first few days. I got irritable and felt sorry for myself. ;-) I hung in there because I was afraid of surgical complications. And I'll never forget that the surgeon and physician's assistant talked to me after surgery and said: "Your liver looked awesome! It's in great shape!! Good job on the pre-op diet!"

Ready made liquid shakes are far easier to deal with than the ones you mix up from powders. That said some of the powders are better if you add some fruit or other flavoring to them . One I tried was much better if I let it sit for 1/2 hr before drinking it. I'm right there with you on this pre-op diet. 13 more days to go.