Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does a hernia feel like?

So, I'm probably overreacting, but I have this "twinge" I'm feeling about 1.5 inches below and slightly to the right of my largest incision (left side, lower abdomen). This is near the incision that they used to remove the stomach (I'm told).

It's not painful, it just feels odd. Maybe I pulled something getting in and out of the car? I am on my 17th day post-op.

I don't feel anything protruding, but it's hard for me to really tell by poking/pressing on my belly.

I called the surgeon's office but they are closed today and this doesn't qualify as an emergency to me. I will call them back on Monday, but in the meantime - any thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

I was sleeved and felt the same thing close to the bigger incision... I was told it's just the incision still healing from the inside. I'm a little over two months out and I haven't felt it for a few weeks. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately I have WAY too much experience with these, I had had 7 operations to repair hernias and have 3 large ones right now.

It doesn't sound like a full blown hernia to me, but I am not a doctor, lol. A hernia is a hole in the fascia (tissue and muscle lining) across the abdomen that allows movement of internal organs, normally intestines, in and out of it. If it is reduceable, can be pushed back in, it is not a major issue, as I said, I have 3 right now. The problem is when it becomes strangulated or twisted. The other problem is if it causes an intestinal blockage, and unfortunately I have experience with those as well. I have had 3 full and 2 partial blockages in the past 18 months.

If the pain gets worse or you become nauseous or start vomiting I would recommend getting it checked immediately, if those don't happen it should be okay to wait until Monday.

Good Luck!

Since you had surgery recently, I would suspect it is the healing process. I have/had knots under my skin by some of my incisions.

That feeling you have could be due to nerve endings repairing themselves along with other healing processes your body is going through. Don't worry about the little twinges because everyone has them. Worry about unrelenting pain, extreme nausea and the like. That's when you need to talk to your surgeon or be seen in the ED. If you are still nervous about your twinges though, by all means call your surgeon. A little bit of reassurance goes a long way! Hope you feel completely better soon.

I had similar pain. Dr told my I have a few internal stitches that may feel like pulling. They closed off the pericardium with stitches when they pulled the lap tools out. Sleeved 6/16/2015

Thanks everyone. I will call the Dr on Monday. I found all of your answers helpful!