Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am two days post op and I'm having severe pain. I feel like I was kicked in the stomach by 10 men. When I eat I can feel every drop of whatever I consume burning in my stomach. I normally take pain very well. I read in here how everyone had zero to mild pain. How is that? Anyone else experience what I'm feeling and any suggestions to help? I am walking to remove to excess gas and I am only having Water and Jello like I was told. HELP!!!

maybe you should contact your surgical team or even visit the ER if the pain doesnt stop , it cant hurt to get checked out. and i got the gurgling and burning at first too it does get better.

pain is always different for everyone, and so is pain tolerance, i had moderate pain some days and was so sore the next i couldnt hardly move, just relax and take it easy and again it never hurts to go get checked out.

better safe than sorry

I agree go to the ER. A pain that feels like you're being kicked by 10 men is nothing to fool around with. Don't take any chances with your health. Let us know you're okay.

If it is that bad, I agree go get checked out. I never had much pain to speak of. Yours sounds like a lot.

I hope you feel better soon! Pain is pretty normal after have a major surgery! Always at least check with your health professional! Walking and sipping helped me a little.

That pain is while you're on pain pills?

So while I totally agree that you should call your doctor or go to the ER if they're not in today if it's really bad - I was MISERABLE for the first few days. Every sip had me doubled over. I stayed with my parents for the first week and my dad has a shiatsu massage chair we got him for fathers day a few years ago - the percussion setting really helped with getting gas up. (Its now referred to as the burping chair.) The surgical gas that is in your abdomen after the surgery is freaking uncomfortable in my opinion and I was on dilauded.

I guess what I'm saying is, yes a lot of people had little pain, but many of us had loads of it without it indicating any complications or problems at all. While checking in with a doctor is important any time you're unsure if symptoms are okay, you don't need to worry that something is wrong just because you're not pain free. My doctor was pretty clear that it varies and that while some people are off pain pills in a couple of days others need them for weeks.

That pain is while you're on pain pills?

So while I totally agree that you should call your doctor or go to the ER if they're not in today if it's really bad - I was MISERABLE for the first few days. Every sip had me doubled over. I stayed with my parents for the first week and my dad has a shiatsu massage chair we got him for fathers day a few years ago - the percussion setting really helped with getting gas up. (Its now referred to as the burping chair.) The surgical gas that is in your abdomen after the surgery is freaking uncomfortable in my opinion and I was on dilauded.

I guess what I'm saying is, yes a lot of people had little pain, but many of us had loads of it without it indicating any complications or problems at all. While checking in with a doctor is important any time you're unsure if symptoms are okay, you don't need to worry that something is wrong just because you're not pain free. My doctor was pretty clear that it varies and that while some people are off pain pills in a couple of days others need them for weeks.

Thank you!! I called and he said its normal. If it persist to next week then come in. I don't want complications. I just want the pain to subside. Lol

Wow, how long were you in the hospital? 2 days that's really new. I was sleeved in AZ to in Gilbert. I left after the first night but could have stayed 3 or so. Hope you feel better.

To clarify your symptoms a bit better, instead of saying you feel like you're being kicked by 10 men, which in my book would be on the same level as very extreme pain, what is your pain level on a scale from 1 to 10? 1 being the least and 10 being the worst?

To clarify your symptoms a bit better, instead of saying you feel like you're being kicked by 10 men, which in my book would be on the same level as very extreme pain, what is your pain level on a scale from 1 to 10? 1 being the least and 10 being the worst?

I am clarifying them how they are. No exaggeration. My muscles feel torn and sore. That is my best description. The pain is mostly when I get up from laying or sitting. Like a pulling pain. Defiantly a 8 or 9.

Wow, how long were you in the hospital? 2 days that's really new. I was sleeved in AZ to in Gilbert. I left after the first night but could have stayed 3 or so. Hope you feel better.

I was released the next evening. I could and should of stayed 2 more nights. But I'm not the deciding doctor. I guess people handle pain deferent and they base the stay on the ones who handle it well

Edited by sunshinetinaz

I hope you feel better. But if you're still at an 8 or 9 level after awhile please consider going to the ER.

Good luck!

Mine was done outpatient but I spent most of the night in recovery with them trying to get the pain under control and making sure everything was okay. I think how long you stay is less about pain and more about whether or not you're showing symptoms of complications. It's actually better for your recovery to leave earlier. You're less likely to get a post op infection with a shorter stay in the hospital because you're less likely to get exposed to someone with an infectious disease. They do their best but it still happens. It's one of the reasons why, if you're not sick, they get you out of there after a surgery as quickly as they can. If you talk to them about pain and go in, ask about an injected NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflamitory - like ibuprofen but way stronger). They gave me one and I think it helped more than any of the other pain meds and helped get things under control so the dilauded and tylenol actually helped.

Mine was done outpatient but I spent most of the night in recovery with them trying to get the pain under control and making sure everything was okay. I think how long you stay is less about pain and more about whether or not you're showing symptoms of complications. It's actually better for your recovery to leave earlier. You're less likely to get a post op infection with a shorter stay in the hospital because you're less likely to get exposed to someone with an infectious disease. They do their best but it still happens. It's one of the reasons why, if you're not sick, they get you out of there after a surgery as quickly as they can. If you talk to them about pain and go in, ask about an injected NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflamitory - like ibuprofen but way stronger). They gave me one and I think it helped more than any of the other pain meds and helped get things under control so the dilauded and tylenol actually helped.

Thank you. This helps. I will defiantly ask. I'm sure my left side and my lungs are the worst now that I'm not in pain all over.