Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Duration of Recovery time?

Could anyone give some feedback on how long they took off work after the surgery? I've heard and read several different things. Thanks

I was off 2.5 weeks. I was totally pain free and by then I was just still struggling to figure out the eating and drinking. I was glad to get back to work so I could think about anything other than food and water!

If your job requires heavy lifting, you would need to consider more time. My doctor told me I wasn't allowed to list more then 10 lbs for 4 weeks.

I was off 2.5 weeks. I was totally pain free and by then I was just still struggling to figure out the eating and drinking. I was glad to get back to work so I could think about anything other than food and water!

If your job requires heavy lifting, you would need to consider more time. My doctor told me I wasn't allowed to list more then 10 lbs for 4 weeks.

Can you give me an idea of some of the things you eat for Breakfast, lunch and dinner? thanks

I was off two days for one of my jobs (I'm a therapist, lots of sitting.) My other job I took off ten days because that's a very fast paced, 14 hour day. The eating part is easy - Clear Liquids the first 10 days. Now I'm in the Protein Shakes phase. I just pack the powder in little baggies and add them to Water at work. I plan to buy ready made shakes for emergencies.

Edited by Psychsnob

I took off 3.5 weeks. You need one week just to balance food and Water again. You might be weak and tired from adjusting to such little calories. I am a week out and I could go back to a fast paced job, but want to let my body get to phase 3 foods, so I have more calories and energy in me.

I was off two days for one of my jobs (I'm a therapist, lots of sitting.) My other job I took off ten days because that's a very fast paced, 14 hour day. The eating part is easy - clear liquids the first 10 days. Now I'm in the Protein Shakes phase. I just pack the powder in little baggies and add them to Water at work. I plan to buy ready made shakes for emergencies.

I am a social worker which does entail a lot of sitting but it also entails A LOT of driving too (which is sitting as well lol) What Protein shakes do you use?

Actually I just use Market Pantry (Target brand). I was driving two days after surgery with no problem. But I was off of dilauded (because I'm allergic) after first dose. (As soon as I woke up and realized the doctor ignored my directions not to give me narcotics). Don't drive until the narcotics are well out of your system.

I own my own business so I haven't really had any time off. But I will add that there are several tasks that I have not tackled yet because, though physically I can handle the work, mentally I am not back up to par. I am putting off any financial tasks or detailed work. This has been my biggest battle. The low amount of calories and quite possibly some residuals from anesthesia are making me mentally slower than I am used to. I am in week three or post-op and had my first day today of soft food stage. I had a soft scrambled egg for Breakfast, a Protein Shake mid-morning, lunch was 3 oz baked tilapia in 1/3 cup Tomato bisque, for supper I had the same as lunch followed by a cup of hot chamomile tea with honey. I ended the day with 674 calories; 74 gr of protein; and 90 oz of liquid.

Could anyone give some feedback on how long they took off work after the surgery? I've heard and read several different things. Thanks

I had the band and was recovered in less than a week.

I am also a social worker, took about 10 days off. I work at two different inpatient hospitals one is behavioral health and the other setting is medical. So I was able to kind of manage my eating and drinking in between patients. I will say that when I work at the big medical center there's a lot more walking so I have asked to be assigned to smaller units. It's kind of nice I've been watching over the babies and working OB. Even though I don't have a lot of lifting, I am finding that I'm coming home and crashing to go to sleep at about 730 at night and I wake up at 5 AM to go walk. I live in Arizona so you have to beat the heat.. Sleeved 6/16/15

Edited by AJ cowgirl

I am taking a full I weeks. My surgeon recommended it in the beginning. His main reason was many people go back too soon and have hydration issues. He doesn't recommend anything less than 4 weeks. I am glad I am taking the entire time because my energy levels fluctuate. I also have a stressful job