Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What has everyone's experience been with the plane ride home.

I will be traveling home from San Diego to Jacksonville, Florida.

I leave San Diego @ 6:30am and arrive in Jacksonville @ 6:30pm.

So 12 hours + 3 hours time changes is 15 hours and the airport is almost an hour from my house so 16 hours total.

I would love to hear all comments. Not being wimpy, just want to set proper expectations.

Thanks.

Mike

The flights themselves were no problem. My issue was that one of my flights was cancelled and I had to run all the way across O'hare airport (0.8 miles) in under 15 minutes to catch the last flight of the day to my hometown! That was rough!

I had a similar day on the way home; I flew out of Richmond, VA. My surgery was on 6/18; I flew home on 6/22. I had a 2hr layover in Atlanta of which I am thankful. I was very uncomfortable on the way home, & I had a BMI of 40. They cram us in there like sardines! I strongly recommend a neck pillow (shaped like a C) & a small pillow for your tummy. If there's ANY way you could get in first class, I'd do it! I knew it would be uncomfortable, but I guess because of swelling it was tougher than I imagined. I'm so sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I was miserable. I'm a pretty tolerant person! I could not fall asleep; I hope you have better luck. I know there are bazillions here that did not mind their trip home. Good for them!

If I go back for plastics it will be first class or I'll drive myself!

I drove home from San Diego after my surgery in TJ. It was a six hour drive and I had no problems at all. No pain and no drowsiness. I was a bit tired after I got home but went to work the next day. I'm 62 years old!

I flew from San Diego to Tampa with a connection in Dallas. My husband had called the airline and arranged for assistance for me through the airline. When I checked in at San Diego, they had an airline employee waiting with a wheelchair for me. They took me through security and directly to my gate. I was allowed to board first and they put my bag in the overhead for me. When I had my connecting flight, there was a wheelchair waiting at the plane door for me. They took me to my next gate and followed the same sequence. When I got to Tampa, my husband grabbed my bag and they took me right to the car. I had quite a few health problems prior to surgery and all that walking would have worn me out. I was so thankful that he contacted them for me. I had planned on being a trooper and doing it all on my own. Based on the distances of the gates, I am glad I didn't have to!

I had wheelchair assistance from the airport/airlines when I came home after my plastics, but it was unnecessary for me after my sleeve. I really felt physically okay after my sleeve, just tired. However, I was wiser about the way I packed when I went for my sleeve as well (having learned from my plastics experience). I packed everything in a wheeled laptop bag that was small enough to fit under my seat, so I didn't have to deal with overhead bins or carrying luggage at all.

The flight was no problem for me. When I checked in, I told them I just had surgery and requested a seat with an empty seat next to it. I'm normally very uncomfortable on airplanes because of my size, so that extra seat really helped. I gate-checked my bag, but otherwise I would have asked someone to put it up for me. I was glad to have an aisle seat so I could walk to the bathroom easily. Also, requesting a seat belt extender so it wasn't too tight was helpful. Hopefully it's the last time I will have to do that!

I'm worried about this myself. I was considering paying the extra $$ for a nonstop flight but it would be quite a bit, I'll be traveling from San Diego to Atlanta... the flight home will leave late one night and I don't arrive until the next morning, BLAH! I am just not loving this idea at all, but you guys seem to have done well with it...

I am worried about this too. My patient paperwork says I have to schedule a flight after 3pm, and I can't seem to find a flight that doesn't have an overnight 12 hour lay over. Thinking I may need to get a hotel room, or spend the night in San Diego and leave the next morning.

I'll be flying from San Diego to Saskatoon Canada.

I leave San Diego @ 6:30am and arrive in Jacksonville @ 6:30pm.

So 12 hours + 3 hours time changes is 15 hours and the airport is almost an hour from my house so 16 hours total.

Going east it's later rather than earlier (ie. 6:30 pm in Jacksonville is actually only 3:30pm in San Diego). So that's 12 hours - 3 hours + 1 hour ends up being 10 hours instead of 16. Not quite as bad.

I left El Paso at 1 pm, had 3 flights and the last flight landed in northern Ontario at midnight. Then I also had a long ride home, 1 and a half hours. It was fine.

A real concern for me (flew from Mexico to Edmonton, Canada) was blood clots (DVT). I have previously had one and do not want to experience this ever, ever again. After surgery, we are at higher risk for DVTs. The same is true for flying. Please be sure to look into wearing compression socks (up to the knee. Pharmacists can often help fit you for them). During the flight and layovers, get up and get walking often! Try to keep well hydrated as well. In the end, the surgeon put me on blood thinners to be safe but that isn't necessary if you don't have history of DVT and if you do all of the above.

Besides worry about that, the trip home was terrific! I had a 3hr 40 minute flight from Mexico to San Fran and then 3 hrs to Edmonton, THEN a 3 hour drive from Edmonton to home (no direct flights, c'est la vie!). Long day but thankfully all was well. There are Protein drinks and Water at the airports. Costly, but worth it. I also packed powdered electrolytes to add to my Water to help me feel more peppy.

Good luck. It's totally doable and not as bad as you might expect. The worse part for me, by far, was the worry. The physical part was a breeze!! Take care! Good luck on your surgery and I hope your recovery goes wonderfully!! I can't imagine a better place to be post op than Mexico!! It was heaven and can't wait to go back for vacation (bikini this time, lol)!!

No big deal. Flew back to Melbourne FL. Packed Crystal Light and Soup broth....asked for hot/cold Water on the plane and mixed. Also had pain mess that I got from the hospital, but didn't need them. Slept off and on like I always do. Those first few days you aren't at all hungry, but need to remember to sip sip sip

My flight was fine. Not as long as yours as I was traveling to Texas. I did however select a larger front seat when booking because it was closer to the bathroom and just more comfortable.

You need to tell ticket agent you just had surgery, you can get a medical preboard pass. Take a small tummy pillow and ask for a seat belt extender. Once the attendees know you had surgery they are very attentive.

I couldn't keep fluids down for five days post-surgery (come to find out I needed a liquid ppi for acid, the powder from the pills wasn't staying down). I flew to Seattle and spent the entire time playing candycrush, trying to distract myself from the constant nausea. I sat next to two strangers and apologized ahead of time in case I became ill - I was worried about that. I got home and took Ryopan that the doctor gave me hours before getting on the plane - problem solved (I didn't take it before I left because I didn't know if it would fix my problem or make it worse but now I wish I had). I could drink and keep it down for the first time in five days. Other than the nausea, the trip was fine and not too exhausting.