Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 6 weeks post op and interested to know average calorie intake for all stages really. I average around 700 cals of 'normal food' now. Is that average, high or low?

I know some people only count Protein. I do both.

Interested to hear any experiences

My doc wanted me eating no more than 800 calories in total. I tried to stick to 75% Protein and 25% carbs. I ate that amount for about 6 months. Then slowly increased my intake as Frankensleeve healed and could tolerate new foods. So I think you're about normal in the number of calories you're eating.

I target 70-80 grams of Protein and also keep calories to less than 800. I am usually around 600 with food and then 1 Protein shake for 150 (Pure Protein banana flavored is my favorite)

I'm 6 months out and I use My Fitness Pal to track everyday. I can give you my goals; Remember these are MY PERSONAL goals, sometimes I'm over, sometimes I'm under, so they are just what I try to shoot for.. (I'm trying to break a stall)

Calories 800 kcal

Protein 100 gr

Fat 27 gr

Carbs 40 gr

Sugars 38 gr

I find it very hard to stay within 40 gr of carbs, so I go over that a whole lot with vegetables and fruit.

But I do my best most days.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for asking this question! I am four weeks out and feel like I am super low... like I think I am probably lucky to get 500 calories a day. :/

I'm 3 weeks out and getting about 500-600 calories a day. I saw my surgeon today and asked her what I should be getting. She said 800-1200 per day once I'm able to eat more.

Thanks for asking this question! I am four weeks out and feel like I am super low... like I think I am probably lucky to get 500 calories a day. :/

There are days when all I can do is 500 BizzyB. And other days more. But that seems to be the way of it. Hopefully yours will improve soon :-)

I am 4 weeks out and I get on average 800 to 1000 calories a day. I shoot for over 70 grams of Protein a day. I watch the carbs and sugar. The amount I get varies. As long as I am getting in more protein and still losing I am not worrying too much. My surgeon actually recommends at this stage under 800 calories. I basically eat when I am hungry, making sure I am well hydrated. I track everything in my fitness pal. I figure this process is not a sprint but more of an endurance run. Meaning I have to live the rest of my life on a plan that works for me that allows me to get to goal. Of eating more carbs some days helps me not be tempted by sugar or other treats I would have eaten in the past then I am cool with it. I was 277 day of surgery and am 256 now a few days before my 4 week mark

I am at 6 weeks in Tuesday and I have been around 600-650calories per day too. I aim for 80grams of Protein per day. My NUT did tell me that 600-800 is where I should be right now!

I am at 6 weeks in Tuesday and I have been around 600-650calories per day too. I aim for 80grams of Protein per day. My NUT did tell me that 600-800 is where I should be right now!

Good to know we're at the right level!80g protein is hard though!

Some days it is a challenge but I do find the Premier Protein shakes really help me reach the goal!

I'm 3 months out and still only getting about 700 a day. Doc says to follow Protein and carbs, not calories. Well, my doc says that. Check with yours. I'm down 55 pounds in 12 weeks so he must know something :)

My surgeon never said any calorie intake. He said 70g Protein and less than 30g carbs and that's it. Stay within that and you will be healthy and lose. I have lost 125 lbs in 7 months post op and feel great! I track everything I eat on my fitness pal and when I was 6 weeks post op, I was averaging between 300- 500 calories a day. I have always felt full. Now my average day is about 750- 850 per day. My protein is still around 70g and my carbs around 45g. I have 15 lbs to my goal and am still losing about 3-5 lbs a month and have never had a stall. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones or maybe my surgeon is on to something. Anyway, it's working for me.

Edited by katcycler

My surgeon never said any calorie intake. He said 70g Protein and less than 30g carbs and that's it. Stay within that and you will be healthy and lose. I have lost 125 lbs in 7 months post op and feel great! I track everything I eat on my fitness pal and when I was 6 weeks post op, I was averaging between 300- 500 calories a day. I have always felt full. Now my average day is about 750- 850 per day. My protein is still around 70g and my carbs around 45g. I have 15 lbs to my goal and am still losing about 3-5 lbs a month and have never had a stall. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones or maybe my surgeon is on to something. Anyway, it's working for me.

congratulations! Amazing results. I'm proud of you :)

I'm in my 6th week out. I track everything on MFP - even lettuce. I can be anywhere from 750 to 1000 calories a day depending on what type of meat I'm eating. I try to hit between 80 to 100 grams of Protein a day and stay below 40 grams of carbs.

But the carbs are coming from fruit and veggies so I'm not as worried about them.