Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Interesting US Bariatric Surgery Statistics

This is the Bariatric Surgery Numbers Estimation from ASMBS for the US:

Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 2.33.23 PM.png

Interesting to see the increase in the sleeve over the years. Seems to be the surgery of choice these days.

What in the world would "other" be??!

:)

Interesting to see the increase in the sleeve over the years. Seems to be the surgery of choice these days.

What in the world would "other" be??!

:)

The sleeve will have even higher #'s in 2015. It's definitely the surgery of choice these days.

Other would be procedures like MGB (Mini Gastric Bypass) and Gastric Plication.

Isn't it fantastic that we have options rather than just one. I know in the UK, the sleeve seems to be the one everyone is having. Whatever you chose, for whatever reason, as long as it works for that person and they are healthy and happy, then it's all good in my book :)

Hugs

Kate

I'm so happy that more and more obese people are finding their way to surgery, and new hope!

I'm so happy that more and more obese people are finding their way to surgery, and new hope!

Ditto! I'm surprised that the #'s aren't increasing at a quicker pace year over year.

@@Alex Brecher

Do you have a specific link or source for that statistic at ASMBS's Web site (or elsewhere)?

Thanks.

Wow, lap band went down fast. Knock wood mine stays good for life.

@@Alex Brecher

Do you have a specific link or source for that statistic at ASMBS's Web site (or elsewhere)?

Thanks.

It hasn't been published yet. I'm the "Councilperson-At-Large" on the ASMBS Corporate Council Steering Committee and I'm privy to this info before it's publicized.

I find it interesting that when the sleeve increased to 51% in 2014 that revisions also increased to 11%.

Happy for all who choose any WLS but I'm sure glad I got my band when I did. And, like others, I hope I get to keep it for life!

Ditto! I'm surprised that the #'s aren't increasing at a quicker pace year over year.
I'm not. Just based on comments on this site it seems that most surgeon's offices are at capacity.

The brakes on the system seem to be: insurance coverage, number of qualified surgeon's in this area, and general knowledge and attitude toward WLS.

It probably won't increase very rapidly unless our healthcare system (insurance companies and states requiring coverage for obesity) changes radically.

Until then, I doubt there will be a large influx of surgeon's. Plus, the time and resources required to train surgeon's and surgical teams will have its own lag time.

All of this has to be driven by a general acceptance of WLS and of obese people in general. As a society we claim to hate obesity but what we really hate are the obese. As long as it's generally considered a moral failing to be obese resources for treatment will be scarce.

Just my very cursory 2 cents.

@@Inner Surfer Girl I agree with what you're saying in part. Insurance in relation to weight loss surgery definitely needs a total rehaul. In my "track" composed of the people I was grouped with also seeking surgery, for six months of classes, I personally know of two who ran into insurance firewalls even "after" having jumped through all of their mandated hoops.

One was laid off a week after graduating and lost her coverage. The other was told in JULY just before she was to get her date, that her husband hadn't worked enough hours in May & June to cover the premiums, so her insurance was deemed inactive. During class one gentlemen had to drop out because his company was changing insurance. And another had to postpone hers because she couldn't arrange time off for the endless pre op appts and surgery recovery time. In a very real sense they're hoping to wait us out. Make us give up before we ever even make it to the OR.

We, the obese, aren't treated as second class citizens. We're treated as disgusting blights on society. That premise is what has to change first. When I was growing up, smoking was still in fashion. They unabashedly showed cigarette commercials on TV, and they were even sold openly in vending machines. It took decades before worldwide change came about, when lung cancer was undeniably linked with tobacco use. Initially there was a lot of push back though. Change never happens without a fight, without sacrifice, especially when bottom line profit and big money is involved. It took a very long time before big corporate tobacco was made to bear the brunt of blame and reform. Only then did things start to noticeably change.

Well the same thing is happening now, with the so called "obesity epidemic." And in the exact fashion that tobacco head honchos tried to shift the blame to the smoker, saying their product wasn't addictive, today, fast food, sugar additives, and the like, along with the diet industry would rather zero in entirely on the fat person for being fat, as opposed to accepting any part of the blame themselves. They produce addictive products that are scientifically proven to cause weight gain. Then they price it low enough to keep you coming back for more. And after you're completely hooked, then they try and sell you a cure all in the form of Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers. It's the very definition of an endless cycle.

I'm not saying that everyone's obesity is solely caused by junk food, as we know better. Genetics is a major factor as well, among others. But it being our fault entirely is the prevalent outside notion, isn't it? If we'd all just eat less and exercise more we'd all be thin right? Well, that's the misconception that has to be changed first, before we'll ever have widespread reform on more easily obtaining WLS. If WE, the obese are entirely at fault, than why should other people, thin people, have to put their insurance or tax dollars towards our fat?

Personally, I think we need more and more obese people to come out of the shadows and demand WLS, not less. We need more medical studies done showing the medicinal cost savings between patient care pre and post op surgery too. In the same way that all those who began the process before us, by first seeking out a surgical option, who underwent the experimental procedures in the past with less than desirable results - we have to keep it alive too. In this forum and in other places. Only then will the proof that the demand far exceeds the supply of knowledgable surgeons and center of excellence facilities. Only then will real changes begin to be made.

Our surgical wait time today can be measured in long arduous months, sometimes years, before we ever even get a bypass, sleeve, band, or whichever procedure chosen. But the fact that the numbers, the obese people, who are seeking it out are growing exponentially gives me infinite hope that those who will come after us will benefit from what we've done today to further promote the monumental need.

Edited by The Candidate

I'm lucky in that I seem to be in the minority, it took me about a year from first information meeting to surgery and that was because I needed to have surgery in the summer and my insurance covered most of it.

I find it interesting that when the sleeve increased to 51% in 2014 that revisions also increased to 11%.

I think the reason for this is the band, to be honest. from talking to my surgeon, the month before my surgery, he took out 17 bands and put in only one. Each of those removals would count as a revision I think.