Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Watershed Moment!

Hi everyone, today marks 31 weeks since my lapband surgery and I have lost a total of 25.7kg in that time.

It's taken me a while to feel any real restriction, although I have had my moments of stuck episodes here and there.

This morning however, I decided that my usual Cereal and fruit, or yoghurt or a shake were not going to cut it for my Breakfast, so I decided to purchase myself a toasted ham and cheese sandwich, something I have not gone near in a very very long time... Well.... Said ham and cheese sandwich was not going to go anywhere - not at all!!! The way I eat has changed and will continue to change and I need to remember that with every single mouthful.

It was at this moment that I realised I actually do have the restriction that I need, and I need to work more with my band.

I really thought that I was working with it, but I realise that every single stuck episode or feeling of discomfort that I get means that I have to change something.

Light bulb moment!!!!!

BINGO !!!!

As the band changes...fills and adjustments....we need to change right along with it or it will not work!

The hardest part of this process......change can be difficult.

I read posts here every day from people struggling with this or that......thinking they are failures, or the band is not "Working"

Then, I also read posts from people who talk about eating different foods, or speaking of certain recipes, etc....

Then, I read posts about calories, measuring portions, etc etc, and if I did not know any better, this could easily be a typical "Diet" website like jenny Craig, weight watchers, etc,....where WLS is not the focus..

All I can do is sit back and wonder if they really "Get it" or not.....

Yes,,,I had to learn, sometimes the hard way with stuck episodes, etc, to walk away from certain foods...never to eat them again. It's not that someone told me I should not eat them, it is because the band will not allow me to eat them....

OR, I could get Fluid taken out of my band, then I can eat anything I want, resist change, and be fat again.

It really is a huge adjustment, I have 42 years worth of bad habits to lose. Sometimes it's really difficult to not get too bogged down in the idea of dieting when I still have a lot of weight to lose... Just gave to remember to let the band do it's thing first and foremost...