Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Family and Friends Letter

Anyone know of a family and friend letter that has been developed? I'm thinking along the lines of "if you are reading this, it is because Someone you love has had or is thinking about having weight loss surgery. Here are some general things to know about WLS: Here are some things you can do to support this person: Here are some things to avoid doing or saying:". I have a similar letter about a chronic illness I have and it has been very helpful. I thought about writing one but if there is already a good one that someone here knows about I'd love to see it!! Choose Hope!

NO, but that would be awesome! please share it if you find/write one!

I wrote one, but it wasn't exactly a guidebook. It was more of an announcement, explaining why, explaining that while I would appreciate the support I didn't want any negative remarks. I sent it after i was sleeved so there was no "talking me out of it"

So, what happened was my less heavy relatives as a group replied with much support. A thin SIL told me she would do the exact same thing, she knew i had been battling weight my whole life and gave me the "go get em" type of support. It was great. My fellow obese family members remained silent. About 2 years post surgery one of my silent brothers told me he had changed his mind and it was great that i had done so well. He was sure that everyone regained and my example showed him that does not have to be the case.

3.5 years post sleeve and hanging in there...

Jane so good to see that your letter had a positive outcome. I have family members and friends who doubt that WLS is the answer. Although they have been on a diet as long as I can remember and lose here and there, none have maintained it very long. (sadly) That is why I try my best to stay on track and make sure that they see the positive side of WLS. If even one of them would get inspiration by my experience I would be pleased.

I've been keeping a video journal since day one. I've decided that I will leave the password to it in a secured envelope for them to access should something happen.

The journal started as a way to chart my physical and emotional changes. But along the way I began explaining everything I was going through, what led to my decision, and how nothing could deter me from getting it done.

And as I'm getting closer to my date I'm leaving personal messages as well. I not only want them to know I love them, but also why I started this journey to begin with.

Not to mention the fact that it is very cathartic!

@"CowgirlJane" I'm so glad that the letter was so helpful for you. Is it something generic enough that you'd be willing to share it with us!

has anyone considered having a like video will if they like died during the surgery im thinking about it not that i think i would die but just in case i mean i had surgery a few months ago that lasted 6 hours and i came out fine so im sure this one will be ok also