Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What weight do you count from?

I often get the question "how much have you lost so far?" But I never know where to count my losses from. What milestone do you use?

- The weight I was when I became determined to have WLS, 250+ (not even close to my all time high)

- Start of my presurgical diet, 240

- Day of surgery, 222

I am down to 202 - so is that nearly 20, 40 or 50lbs??

I also like to follow up lose stats with pant size loss... to give those pounds more perspective. ((A tight 22 to a lose 16 btw :) woohoo!))

Thanks all!! And best of luck to everyone on this journey.

I don't answer that question because I find it incredibly rude. But I do keep track for myself and share with a few close people for motivation and support. I don't even know what my all time high was because I quit weighing but when I became determined to lose weight I did start weighing every week and I go by my first day of that, which was 347. I use that as my starting weight because that's when I started tracking. For myself, I also keep track of what I've lost since deciding on the surgery, (5 months before surgery), starting the pre-op process (2-1/2 months) and from surgery day. With each step I was able to lose weight faster because I had the motivation of the surgery. I am 15 months out and 153 lbs down from my starting weight (119 since surgery woo hoo). Wish I lost sizes like you!!! I was a 30/32W and now 18/20. I lost 60 lbs before I lost one pant size.

I go from the date I started my presurgical diet. I consider that part of my surgery plan, so makes sense to me.

I am counting from my pre-surgical diet weight here. However, my surgeon's office only counts from the last office visit prior to surgery, which makes for a lower loss in their records.

The date I started my 2 week pre op diet is what I use. I also personally keep track of how much I have lost from my highest weight, which was about 1 year before having surgery.

I use my highest weight. I lost some with Weight Watchers then started gaining again before I had surgery. I was that weight for several years so that is the one I use...

I also go from the date I started my pre-op liquid diet which just happens to also be my highest weight. But I think every pound you lost should be celebrated so I'd go from the highest weight... but that's just me!

My weight at my preop appt was my highest ever, and that's where I count from. I also mark milestones along the way-start of preop diet and date of surgery. :)

I just had 2 people that I haven't seen since thanksgiving pull me aside and express how great they think I look and congratulate me on whatever I am doing (they don't know about the surgery) And That made me feel better than anything!! Although all the numbers and stats are important, unsolicited acknowledgement of my efforts is what I think my real motivation is!!!

When people ask how much weight I lost I count from the highest I was just before my 6 month supervised diet. If they ask how much since surgery I will count the 10 day pre-op diet as I consider that as part of the surgery and prep for surgery.

I consider my start weight, the weight i had when i was my heaviest -> basically the day i decided "i need gaatric sleeve before i die from health problems".

I count from my consult weight, (235). I lost like 13 preop over the next six weeks before surgery. It ALL counts!

I have the same question too. My initial start weight was 261. While waiting for surgery about 7 months making life style changes and doing the insurance requirements I lost 51 pounds. When figuring out percentages of anticipated weight loss I am assuming it will be configured by my actual pre op weight of 210 lbs. ten weeks out I am down 41 pounds and will be meeting my initial goal of 150lbs very soon. I will be setting another goal then. I am 5'4 and my surgeon's notes has her goal as 131lbs. Don't want to go below that weight.