Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone get Fmla for pre-op? My clinic said I needed to talk to HR about it. I really don feel comfortable as it is so personal. I know for the surgery healing days I can do it. How did it work for you?

Not sure if it is just my employer...but the specific reason why I needed time off (ie baristric surgery) was not asked. It asked my doctor questions like how long does the patient need to be off from work, is this a situation where the patient will need tine off in the future for treatment, etc.

Talk to your HR person, they cannot discuss with others (even your manager).

Good luck!

Ugh.ll that should be bariatric surgery!,

I'm a HR Manager and deal with Fmla a lot. The Fmla form most often used is a federal form, Certification of Serious Health Condition. Google it and see specifically what it asks if you are curious. Your doctors or nurse will have to provide a diagnosis and 'major health condition which will make you unable to perform one or more major life activities' ie work.

You probably could get time off for preop testing that's required for the surgery. Your doctor just has to specify the dates that you'll need off in the paperwork

Here's the thing- the HR professional is legally bound by the same PHI ( private health information) regulations your doctors office is! You can absolutely tell them that you do not want your direct supervisor to know the details of your reason for FMLA. If they give you shit on this look up your rights ( or send me a message and I can help !)

I know that I personally won't be telling anyone anything more than " i'm intestinal surgery" Not a lie but they don't need to know my very private business!

I deal with HR too, make sure if you are filing for the FMLA for appointments that you check the section for intermittent leave, that way you can be gone as necessary for the appointments. As she said, you will need the dates.

I'm a supervisor at my work and see lots of FMLA forms come my way for my employees. On the intermittent ones you don't even have to have specific dates but just a frequency and duration of the appointments or treatments. The health care professional will fill out the form with that information. Usually says something like 2 times per week, 4 hours each visit depending on your needs. That's how it is at my work. Oh and the final appproved forms that go to your supervisor don't say anything specific about your condition, just how long you'll need off.

Just wanted to update that I did get this figured out. Finally met with HR and I did get it approved for appointments in preparation for surgery. Thanks!

I just requested a letter from my doc stating I am under his care from (date) to (date) and may return to work on (date). Gave it to my he an that was it, instant approval. Now I'm not sure if it's FMLA but they have to grant it if it medically related.

I used FMLA, the doctor has to fill out the paperwork it says exactly what your having done it is on letterhead anyway. But, it is private hippa laws protect you and the only ones that will know are you and the human resource guy or gal. They are bound by law to keep your issues private. FMLA protects you and your job. I recommend you get it.

I used FMLA, the doctor has to fill out the paperwork it says exactly what your having done it is on letterhead anyway. But, it is private hippa laws protect you and the only ones that will know are you and the human resource guy or gal. They are bound by law to keep your issues private. FMLA protects you and your job. I recommend you get it.

I did. That is what I was coming to update.

I'm a HR Manager and deal with Fmla a lot. The Fmla form most often used is a federal form, Certification of Serious Health Condition. Google it and see specifically what it asks if you are curious. Your doctors or nurse will have to provide a diagnosis and 'major health condition which will make you unable to perform one or more major life activities' ie work.

You probably could get time off for preop testing that's required for the surgery. Your doctor just has to specify the dates that you'll need off in the paperwork

Here's the thing- the HR professional is legally bound by the same PHI ( private health information) regulations your doctors office is! You can absolutely tell them that you do not want your direct supervisor to know the details of your reason for FMLA. If they give you **** on this look up your rights ( or send me a message and I can help !)

I know that I personally won't be telling anyone anything more than " i'm intestinal surgery" Not a lie but they don't need to know my very private business!

Thanks!! ......This is super useful.