Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting through the 6 month diet

Hello everyone! :)

So I've had my first consultation and made my appointments with the dietician for the next 6 months (I first saw the dietician on June 24th) I decided to give myself 6 days to kind of let things sink in and really reflect on the process that I was about to start. I started the diet yesterday and did fairly well most of the day until the evening hit annnnnnd I ended up reverting back to old ways, I also did not drink as much Water as I was supposed to and did not get my steps in. My question is, how did everyone make it to the end? I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself because my dietrician told me that I had to lose weight otherwise she would write me down as noncompliant with insurance standards. I struggle a lot with evening meals and I tend to graze all night, I have a 8 month old daughter who just started crawling last week and she doesn't go to bed until 8 PM, so it can be difficult to gather the strength to cook dinner, fit in exercise, take care of/spend time with my daughter, straighten up the house and then settle down for a shower and bed, that's why I usually just eat something quick that can be picked up on the way home or take out but since I can't do that anymore I'm finding it difficult to balance (I know it'll get easier as I get into the routine but my previous attempts at taking better care of myself have always ended with failure since it's just easier to go the unhealthy route but I really want to succeed at this and get the help I need not just physically but I want to heal mentally as well and change my mindset when it comes to food. Any tips on making that a smoother transition? Or any quick dinner meal ideas?

Any opinions and/or advice are welcome :)

I know this is going to sound trite, but I promise you that it will go by so much quicker than you can ever imagine!

My process took a year and I just recently got my surgery date: 07/29. So I've still got some more waiting ahead of me, but that's okay. I'm so beyond happy at this point nothing could bring me down.

I think you're going to find that you are so much stronger than you realize right now. You'll get through the process, as we all do, because you know there is something so amazing waiting for you at the end. And every hurdle that you jump through will only strengthen your original resolve that much more.

Just be sure to do everything they ask of you in the most expeditious manner possible. If they tell you to get labs/tests try to book them that very day. The more involved you are in your own journey the easier it will be. And be sure to pat yourself on the back from time to time for making the defining decision to change your life for the better! This is one time in your life when you need to put "you" first for once.

I won't lie, you'll probably shed a few tears along the way, and shake your fist at the heavens once or twice for putting more than 24 hours in a day. Because it will seem like like that now and again. But if you use your time wisely to research extensively, make some new friends who are going through the same experience, you will do more than fine. And your day will be here before you know it!

Good luck!

If evening meals and grazing are challenges for you then talk to your NUT about strategies that will fit in your plan to help you through. Are you on a specific diet plan?

You can stock up on easy-to prepare meals. For instance get a rotisserie chicken that you can use when you get home. You can keep yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese in your refrigerator for Snacks. Keep a box of sf Popsicles in the freezer.

Invest in a good Water bottle and keep it with you all the time and drink all day.

Now is the time when you can start developing habits that you will rely on after surgery. Use the resource you have available to you (your NUT), this is one of the main reasons insurance companies require a supervised diet.

Best of luck. It will get easier.