Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let me tell you about my journey.

I decided in May 2014 that this was what I needed to be a healthier person and to have have children (I have other underlying health problems that made me high risk, therefore was told I needed to lose weight). I made my appointment and went to the informational class. I was so excited and new to it all. I look back and think how silly I was to think this would be easy. At my appointment I was told my insurance (state of VA) would require a 12 month program but that the Dr would appeal and I could have other doctors appeal. I thought oh I got this. Nope denied. On with the 12 months. So starting in May (thankfully) I started getting the phone calls to start my program. Now these were important. I scheduled them in my phone and on my work calendar because of I missed one I had to wait six months and start all over. Oh no!! I would have put the Queen of England on hold to take my phone call each month. In the mean time I went ahead and did my physch and saw the dietician. Fast forward to May 2015, I finished my 12 months on the 11th. I was doggone proud and happy for myself I almost cried. So I make my follow up appt with the doc and he clears me. The coordinator said the next step was to wait for the scheduler and I was looking at surgery the week of Father's Day. I waited.....got a call but it was one to say I needed to see the dietician again and she was not available until late June. *sigh*. Ok I got this. Went to the dietician and than I had to once again wait for the scheduler to call. She called the following week. Things became a blur and I was so excited. I got my pre op testing dates, mandatory pre op class date and surgery date in one phone call. Finally this is happening. I Started my two week pre op diet Monday and went yesterday for pre op testing and I go the 7th of July for my mandatory hospital class (basically a recap of everything for 3 hours). And....drum role please...... Surgery is July 13.

Edited by ticker83

Glad to hear you made it??? they really make us jump hoops but helps us to be more dedicated I guess? July 13 is my date also can't hardly wait pray that all goes well for us both.I only had to weight 2 months but still alot of appointments! Going on three days now for the liquid diet fitness pal says I don't eat enough but its all they say to have I am calling nut today ask what to do??Hang in there and lets stay in touch.

I am so glad you got through everything and have a surgery date. Hooray!!

As hard as the wait is I do think that time for me was well worth it. It helped me get so ready and more importantly in the right frame of mind. I like you was so ready and excited by the time my surgery date came. I was not scared at all. My wait was 9 months long.

Building good habits is so important to the success of this surgery. As time goes by and you try new foods it is really easy to get caught up in old behaviors. Trust me, I get caught up every once in a while.

Good luck in the coming weeks.

I'm so happy for you and doubly proud that you never gave up! You've got this and are going to be spectacular! Heck, you already are!

Hey peg, I am from mn as well. Just wondering what part and what hospital you doing it at. I am going to abbot in minneapolis