Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! Is there anything you guys suggest to be successful after WLS? I really want to lose 85% of my excess weight, which is higher than the average loss from VSG. I was wondering if anyone here can give me a list of things to aid in my success. Not just the basics: fallow your plan, don't eat a lot of carbs, drink Water and exercise. Is there anything else you guys suggest to do, specifics? I would love to hear from some successful sleevers. I am kind of bummed out lately cause I have been in the dreaded 3 week stall. I will be a month out tomorrow, but I have been stalled for almost 2 weeks!!! I am trying to keep my hopes up though and plan for success. Please give me some ideas!!!!

Hi

I can tell you as an experienced weight loss loser (meaning I have lost a ton of weight in the past) that 50 minutes of aerobic activity every day restarts most anybody. Obviously, if I had kept that up I wouldn't be at this again! I think for women it is especially important. Not 20, not 30, 50 minutes of sweating.

Good luck!

ST

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but my answer would be follow your surgeon's plan, drink a ton of Water and exercise. I've lost 98% of my excess weight and don't plan on stopping until that number is at 100%. I did it by following my surgeon's plan, keeping an open line of communication with him (if I have a question, I send an email, get a response and follow his advice) and attending all scheduled follow up appointments. I chose my doctor for a reason, he has a proven track record of successful patients. Why wouldn't I follow his advice? I also track my food in myfitnesspal and make sure my Protein and Fluid numbers are on point every single day. I also made a commitment to exercise and I've stuck to it. A minimum 5 times a week. My last bit of advice is to have a good attitude and enjoy the ride. As someone said to me, learn to love the process and the results will come. Good luck!

The stall is very normal, your body is still catching up, some of my peeps here on the forum try different things to get thru the stall, going back to Protein Shakes twice a day for a week, changing to 5-6 times of small meals a day etc. I would look back to see where the stall started and see what you have changed as far as dietary habits, I've found useful things on the Internet to help with long term care, WOK cooking is very good for you and grilling, I found a grill comparable but larger then a George Foreman at Walmart, I also keep trying to memorize and learn new Protein Snacks to utilize, meats, cheeses nuts, since u preference of exercise is working out at the gym, I will change my routine from time to time, just as important as these aspects for ME is that I get lots of rest, and I don't use the scale to rule my life, instead I chose small milestones, which is working, my journey began in January culminating with surgery on June 10th, and has gotten me to now, 388lbs by jan, 362.2 on first dr visit in apr, 346 on surgery day, and Friday at 324.0, plus losing 6 waist sizes already, try to take focus off scale for awhile and concentrate on improvements, health, and small goals, you can do this, anyone can, you just have to want it

1. Follow your plan 98% of the time.

2. Move. You don't have to be a marathon runner, but find something you like to do and stick with it. But also understand that weight loss comes mostly with diet and not exercise. But you want a healthy heart, too.

3. Be patient, persistent, and resilient. It's not going to fall off of you. You will have a few gains. You will stall. Weight loss will slow down a little as time goes by. If you are doing what you need to do (See number 1), it's just normal stuff we all go through.

4.Learn as much as you can from books, WLS forums, blogs, Youtube vlogs, etc...LISTEN to the veterans on these forums! They know what they are talking about! I couldn't have done this without them!

5. Enjoy your new life!

Hi @MarceMonster. Here’s the formula I used to get to goal weight:

Start every morning with a Protein shake for Breakfast.

Eat 60–80 or more grams of Protein daily.

Drink 64–120 ounces of fluids daily. (I drink tons of Crystal Light, or generic, sugar-free/decaf iced tea.)

Do not consume any starches or sugars.

Get all carbs from green veggies, legumes, and dairy products.

Do not consume empty liquid calories/sugar (fruit juices, ice cream, etc).

Try to avoid alcohol. It’s empty liquid calories that turn to sugar in your body and can lead to poor choices.

All Snacks must be protein-based (Jerky, nuts, cheese, Greek yogurt, deli meats, etc.).

Get some exercise 4-6 times a week.

Never leave the house without a plan for what you can eat and drink while you’re out. If necessary, bring food and drink with you.

Restaurant eating is not hard: 1) skip the bread; 2) order a meat (or legume/bean) dish; 3) replace the starch with a second vegetable; 4) skip the dessert. You’ll probably end up taking some of the meat and most of the veggies home for another meal.

Beef/turkey Jerky is my secret weapon. It’s saved me more times than I can count, so I try to always have some in the car for emergencies. You can buy a bag of jerky almost anywhere. It’s kind of expensive and not great for sodium-restricted diets, but it’s also high protein, low fat, okay sugar, and a 3.5-ounce bag is a meal by itself!

If you fall off the horse, get back on immediately – at the next meal. Not tomorrow, and definitely not next Monday. That’s what got us here!

Go to Bariatric Support Group meetings in your area, if possible.

Participate actively in online forums like BariatricPal.

Read as much as you can about the process and the journey; and especially, read posts and articles from those who had their surgery a few years ago. Try to understand what lead to their successes and/or struggles.

Share your story and reach out to help others who are behind you in their journey. By helping them, you’ll help yourself as well.

Have a goal weight in mind and strive to get there. (I weigh myself every single day.) But also set lots of smaller goals. It’s fun and inspiring to achieve them.

Always be looking forward. Don’t look back over your shoulder waiting for the heavier person to drag you back. Let that person fade into history.

Believe that the slimmer person in the mirror is the real you.

A little vanity is okay. Enjoy how you look. Accept compliments graciously and don’t deflect them. Have fun trying on smaller-sized clothes that fit now. Compare before and after pictures. Take pride in your accomplishments!

Accept that this is a somewhat selfish process. That’s okay, too. You don’t have to apologize for it. And don’t let other people interfere with your progress. We have to make our weight loss program a priority in our lives.

But at the same time, recognize that your journey affects your friends and loved ones as well. Be sensitive to their reactions and their emotional needs, without allowing it to derail your program.

And finally, try to have fun losing the weight and getting healthy!

Hold onto your determination! That's what'll keep you going during the difficult times and the stalls. Good luck!

• Start every morning with a Protein shake for Breakfast.< /div>
• Eat 60–80 or more grams of Protein daily.
• Drink 64–120 ounces of fluids daily. (I drink tons of Crystal Light, or generic, sugar-free/decaf iced tea.)
• Do not consume any starches or sugars.
• Get all carbs from green veggies, legumes, and dairy products.
• Do not consume empty liquid calories/sugar (fruit juices, ice cream, etc).
• Try to avoid alcohol. It’s empty liquid calories that turn to sugar in your body and can lead to poor choices.
• All Snacks must be protein-based (jerky, nuts, cheese, Greek yogurt, deli meats, etc.).
• Get some exercise 4-6 times a week.
• Never leave the house without a plan for what you can eat and drink while you’re out. If necessary, bring food and drink with you.
• Restaurant eating is not hard: 1) skip the bread; 2) order a meat (or legume/bean) dish; 3) replace the starch with a second vegetable; 4) skip the dessert. You’ll probably end up taking some of the meat and most of the veggies home for another meal.
• Beef/turkey Jerky is my secret weapon. It’s saved me more times than I can count, so I try to always have some in the car for emergencies. You can buy a bag of jerky almost anywhere. It’s kind of expensive and not great for sodium-restricted diets, but it’s also high protein, low fat, okay sugar, and a 3.5-ounce bag is a meal by itself!
• If you fall off the horse, get back on immediately – at the next meal. Not tomorrow, and definitely not next Monday. That’s what got us here!
• Go to Bariatric Support Group meetings in your area, if possible.
• Participate actively in online forums like BariatricPal.
• Read as much as you can about the process and the journey; and especially, read posts and articles from those who had their surgery a few years ago. Try to understand what lead to their successes and/or struggles.
• Share your story and reach out to help others who are behind you in their journey. By helping them, you’ll help yourself as well.
• Have a goal weight in mind and strive to get there. (I weigh myself every single day.) But also set lots of smaller goals. It’s fun and inspiring to achieve them.
• Always be looking forward. Don’t look back over your shoulder waiting for the heavier person to drag you back. Let that person fade into history.
• Believe that the slimmer person in the mirror is the real you.
• A little vanity is okay. Enjoy how you look. Accept compliments graciously and don’t deflect them. Have fun trying on smaller-sized clothes that fit now. Compare before and after pictures. Take pride in your accomplishments!
• Accept that this is a somewhat selfish process. That’s okay, too. You don’t have to apologize for it. And don’t let other people interfere with your progress. We have to make our weight loss program a priority in our lives.
• But at the same time, recognize that your journey affects your friends and loved ones as well. Be sensitive to their reactions and their emotional needs, without allowing it to derail your program.
• And finally, try to have fun losing the weight and getting healthy!
Hold onto your determination! That's what'll keep you going during the difficult times and the stalls. Good luck!

What an awesome list! I agree completely!

• Start every morning with a Protein shake for breakfast.

• Drink 64–120 ounces of fluids daily. (I drink tons of Crystal Light, or generic, sugar-free/decaf iced tea.)

• Try to avoid alcohol. It’s empty liquid calories that turn to sugar in your body and can lead to poor choices.

• All Snacks must be protein-based (jerky, nuts, cheese, Greek yogurt, deli meats, etc.).

• Never leave the house without a plan for what you can eat and drink while you’re out. If necessary, bring food and drink with you.

• Restaurant eating is not hard: 1) skip the bread; 2) order a meat (or legume/bean) dish; 3) replace the starch with a second vegetable; 4) skip the dessert. You’ll probably end up taking some of the meat and most of the veggies home for another meal.

• Beef/turkey Jerky is my secret weapon. It’s saved me more times than I can count, so I try to always have some in the car for emergencies. You can buy a bag of jerky almost anywhere. It’s kind of expensive and not great for sodium-restricted diets, but it’s also high protein, low fat, okay sugar, and a 3.5-ounce bag is a meal by itself!

• If you fall off the horse, get back on immediately – at the next meal. Not tomorrow, and definitely not next Monday. That’s what got us here!

• Read as much as you can about the process and the journey; and especially, read posts and articles from those who had their surgery a few years ago. Try to understand what lead to their successes and/or struggles.

• Share your story and reach out to help others who are behind you in their journey. By helping them, you’ll help yourself as well.

• Have a goal weight in mind and strive to get there. (I weigh myself every single day.) But also set lots of smaller goals. It’s fun and inspiring to achieve them.

• Always be looking forward. Don’t look back over your shoulder waiting for the heavier person to drag you back. Let that person fade into history.

• A little vanity is okay. Enjoy how you look. Accept compliments graciously and don’t deflect them. Have fun trying on smaller-sized clothes that fit now. Compare before and after pictures. Take pride in your accomplishments!

• Accept that this is a somewhat selfish process. That’s okay, too. You don’t have to apologize for it. And don’t let other people interfere with your progress. We have to make our weight loss program a priority in our lives.

• But at the same time, recognize that your journey affects your friends and loved ones as well. Be sensitive to their reactions and their emotional needs, without allowing it to derail your program.

Spot on. And I've been successful so far by following all of these too!

• Start every morning with a Protein shake for breakfast.

Thank you so much. With regards to most of you suggestions I am doing those things. I eat 55-75g of protein, I always have less then 40g of carbs (usually less then 30) and they all come from protein, dairy and veggies. I don't eat any starch and I will not until I have been maintaining my goal weight. I exercise I minimum of 4 days a week, but up to 6 days. I just can't seem to shake this feeling that I am doing something wrong. I dropped almost 13 lbs the first 2 weeks and now it's been two weeks and I have only lost about a pound total. I don't know, i just keep hearing about this honeymoon phase, but it seems like body skipped all that and went right to slow losing. Thank you all for your suggestions though, I will make sure to implement anything you guys think will help.

Nope, you're not doing anything wrong. See below for the answer. And good news – the "honeymoon period" lasts about a year. So keep up the good attitude!

Congratulations! You have reached The Dreaded Week-3 Stall. It's perfectly normal, and just about all of us have suffered through it. You're not crazy, and your doctor didn't screw up. In fact, you might not lose any weight for two weeks or even longer. But don't worry – after that, the pounds will start falling off if you stick to your program. And, the inches will continue to come off even while the scale isn't budging. Here's a good article that explains why it happens and why we all have to go through it. Hang in there. Pretty soon it'll be in the rear-view mirror and you'll be dropping weight again!

(Apologies to BP regulars who have seen this repeatedly, but it's a big deal to those who are going through it!)

Three things:

1. Stick to the plan. Resolve yourself to it. Don't plan on just eating the same food just smaller portions. That won't work. For me the first 10 months were "to a 't'" at least 65g Protein, no more than 35 g carbs & at least 100 oz Water. That's it. Simple.

2. Do the hard emotional work to figure out what your food issues are really about because they're probably not really about food. I've written a lot about how I've gone about doing this in my blog. I try to be as honest as possible. Check it out if you're interested in more on that.

3. Realize that your sleeve won't "make you" lose weight & it certainly won't "make you" keep the weight off. The extent to which you are successful depends on the amount of work you're willing to do & HOW you use your sleeve.

Good luck!

Based on what I learned from my surgeon and NUT and what is working well for me right now:

Get all your Protein, everyday. Record your food so that you know that you are getting enough.

Eat Protein first and eat slowly, chewing thoroughly.

Get all your fluids, everyday.

Take all your Vitamins as directed.

Exercise when cleared.

Avoid or minimize processed starches (pasta, rice, bread, starchy vegetables) and high fructose corn Syrup.< /p>

Stay off the scale/weigh infrequently. You will stall but there really is nothing to DO about it but continue to follow your plan.

Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Use every resource available to you: this forum, your surgeon/bariatric team, a therapist, a support group (through your bariatric program and/or something like OA), a personal trainer and/or anything or anyone that will help you succeed.

I just want to say thank you to all of you who responded to my post. It means a lot. I am doing my best to stay positive during my stall. Today is my one month Surgiversary! I am 13.7 lbs down since June 1st and 26.5 lbs overall. Also I am down 14.4 inches since my I started my preop diet. I am super happy with these results so far. I just hope it keeps going. With regards to all of your advise, I think I am following all of the suggestions already: I get all my Protein in everyday, the NUT at my dr's office said I could have up to 60g of carbs per day but I NEVER go over 40 (usually not over 35), and I get at least 60oz of Water per day. I also exercise 4-6 days per week doing HIIT classes, resistance training and cardio. So I think I am following both my doctors and your advice. I have decided to continue seeing my NUT for the first year to guide my process, even though I will have to pay out of pocket I think it will be worth it. Thank you all!!!

Sounds like you're doing all the right things, @MarceMonster. Just keep on keepin' on and the weight will come off. Stalls happen, and then they stop. It's a natural part of the process. Once you get past this, try to have fun making good choices and watching the pounds, inches, illnesses, and poor health fall away.