Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long Term Challenges and Results

Hello all! I am wondering about long term, like years postop, the success rate? Is there enough data to say that the sleeve is effective for one or two decades after initial weight loss? I am just wondering if anyone has maintained very long term.

it 100% depends on you, how you use your tool and how well you follow the program. It is a complete lifestyle change and change in your relationship with food. If you choose a healthier way of eating and exercise, you will have forever success. If you go back to the habits/foods that made you gain weight, your success will not continue. Some people feel, that since they can only eat small amounts, food choices do not matter, they do!! With time, you will be able to eat more and if you have not developed better habits, in the beginning when it is easier, it will become increasingly difficult.

RealMel is absolutely correct on this one. I put off WLS because I was discouraged by three coworkers that gained some or all of their weight back. Their food choices were poor, but they still had restriction. I observed them drinking regular cola and eating foods with high fructose corn Syrup quite often.

They advised me against WLS because, according to them, it wasn't worth all the trouble. One day, it occurred to me that it would be worth all that trouble just to have some restriction to help keep the weight off. I was quite good at losing weight, but not good at maintaining it very well.

I became a little discouraged after surgery because I had no trouble getting in all my fluids and Protein beginning from day 1. I never had that full feeling after a few bites like I've heard that other post ops experience. Instead of griping, I decide to eat like a skinny person and stick to the Bariatric Eating plan no matter what.

It's surprising to note that I have lost much more weight than the other post ops in my bariatric clinic group (that experience extreme restriction) that had surgery last October.

It's all about choices. You have to learn how to make healthy substitutions. If you are craving sugar, eat some strawberries. In my case, I can eat a cup of strawberries with no problems. It is much better than taking 1 or 2 bites of a chocolate bar.

You hear a lot of others on here mentioning "the slippery slope." Once you start making bad food choices or getting back into old habits, you have to react and quickly get back into smart eating and exercise. There really is no "taking a break" from weight loss or maintenance.

Edited by WL WARRIOR

VSG has not been around for decades, so the data you are looking for does not exist. But like EVERY WLS option, long term success is 100% on you. You can "eat around" or "cheat" your way around ANY surgery. Like WL WARRIOR said, there is no taking a break from maintenance. Once you reach goal, you have to work and make good choices every day forever. So while surgery will help you lose weight, there's nothing magical about keeping it off long term.

I have friends and acquaintances that have had varying levels of success with bypass, sleeve and lap band. None of the outcomes are a reflection of the type of surgery, but rather a result of their choices and lifestyle changes.

wondering about long term, years postop, the success rate?

@@KensingtonWalk

the sleeve was originally developed to help with stomach cancer

there are probably stats about that

the usage of having a sleeve for weight loss surgery is relatively new

more and more and more docs are performing the sleeve with outstanding result!!

@TheRealMeIsHere! covered about everything dealing with your subject

very well put (please don't let that comment go to your head!! :D

@Kindle@@WL WARRIOR @TheRealMeIsHere!

these "wonderful" people reached goal, health and happiness etc with the help of the sleeve

they are all aces :)

they paid me to say the above!!! :D

many, many many and many more have also continue reaching goal, and keeping their weight off - including someone special (me silly head at 3.5+ years and counting ;) )

IMO life BEGINS with maintenance

continuing to follow ALL the rules for the rest of our healthier, happier, longer life :)

kathy

@@proudgrammy is right. They have been doing gastrectomies for cancer and ulcer patients for well over 100 years. I read dozens of research papers documenting the safety and long term nutritional issues in gastrectomy patients when looking at having a VSG. But since they weren't doing them as a WLS, the weight loss data is basically an afterthought in those long term studies.

You can easily find 5 year data on VSG outcomes, but really not much in the 10+ year range.

And I definitely agree with "life begins with maintenance"

Edited by Kindle

wondering about long term, years postop, the success rate?

@@KensingtonWalk

the sleeve was originally developed to help with stomach cancer

there are probably stats about that

the usage of having a sleeve for weight loss surgery is relatively new

more and more and more docs are performing the sleeve with outstanding result!!

@TheRealMeIsHere! covered about everything dealing with your subject

very well put (please don't let that comment go to your head!! :D

@Kindle@@WL WARRIOR @TheRealMeIsHere!

these "wonderful" people reached goal, health and happiness etc with the help of the sleeve

they are all aces :)

they paid me to say the above!!! :D

many, many many and many more have also continue reaching goal, and keeping their weight off - including someone special (me silly head at 3.5+ years and counting ;) )

IMO life BEGINS with maintenance

continuing to follow ALL the rules for the rest of our healthier, happier, longer life :)

kathy

@@proudgrammy your check is in the mail, lol!!