Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Band to Sleeve Success Stories Out There?!?

After reading all of these posts, I am wondering if getting the sleeve will be worth it! I lost about 50 with the band, and kept off 40.

Will the sleeve make a difference? I have a 14cc band that has slipped. It's been filled almost to max capacity. No one ever told me that my band could cause difficulties with my sleeve!

The entire point of the sleeve is to have restriction, correct?

I'm paying cash for my revision surgery, and it's a lot of money to shell out if the sleeve will make no difference! I'm really bummed out, and I'm wondering if I should just get my band removed, and no sleeve on Wednesday.

I only had band restriction for one year after band surgery in 2009.

Please let there be more band to sleeve success stories out there!!

Thank you,

Lisa ????

I am only 2 months out so I would not say I'm a success story yet (I intend to be). But I can tell you the difference between the band and sleeve is like night and day. I lost 85lbs with the band and then started having reflux issues. I yo yo dieted for eight years before deciding on the sleeve. I wish I did it years ago! With the band you get a stuck feeling but are still hungry. With the sleeve I am very rarely hungry and when I eat I feel full not stuck. I have no interest to keep eating. I also find it so much easier to choose healthy foods. food is not calling my name like it did with the band. It feels so good to have that thing out! It was also very scary to hear about the damage it was doing to my stomach. Doc said my stomach was close to closing off. And that was with no Fluid in it. Good luck with your decision.

On this particular board there are people who are having a harder time with revision but on this site on while there are a ton of success stories. I think some surgeons can't make a properly shaped sleeve with a revision and some can. This is a question I would ask. I'm also worried about this and my surgeon only does 2 part surgeries specifically because of the issue with scar tissue after the removal. I had to wait several months and am going Tuesday for the sleeve. Will let you know!

I am also concerned.I want a successful revision...years later I don't want regrets because there will be not a 3rd surgery...can't do it.

I'm in my 3rd month from my revision and I'm very happy with it so far. I've lost 35 lbs and I do have restriction even though my sleeve is not as small as a usual sleeve. The other day I pushed it and finished my plate and I did throw it back up. Otherwise I have not had a problem at all. I know not to do that now.

This is one of my big concerns as well. I keep thinking I should get the revision because of all the recent issues I've had with my band. I'll have to get my gallbladder out and keep going back and forth about whether or not I want to do the revision at the same time. My surgeon he could do it all in one surgery.

Then I think maybe I won't have so many issues with the band after the gallbladder is gone?? I never had issues with my band until my gallbladder started acting out.

This is one of my big concerns as well. I keep thinking I should get the revision because of all the recent issues I've had with my band. I'll have to get my gallbladder out and keep going back and forth about whether or not I want to do the revision at the same time. My surgeon he could do it all in one surgery.

Then I think maybe I won't have so many issues with the band after the gallbladder is gone?? I never had issues with my band until my gallbladder started acting out.

So this is my opinion for what it is worth. I am almost 6 weeks out down almost 25lbs. The band wasn't easy for me but I lost 100% of my excess weigh in about 10 months. This isn't easy either. I still need to watch what I eat and follow the diet but all of the awful things about the band like the vomiting are absolutely gone for me. I have tolerated everything with no problem, never once had a problem. If I eat too much I am uncomfortable but that is it.

You are going to find success and failures in any of these surgeries. It is going to be what you make it and nothing more or less. good luck!

Thanks! I never had much success with the band until recently - I finally found the right doctor and right program. I've had the band since 2009. Initial loss was about 20lbs. My original program - the nurse was like the Soup nazi...if she felt like you didn't lose enough weight she would not fill the band. ???

I started following weight watchers simply filling (essentially, low carb) and got to a different surgeon and program and they are wonderful. This year I've lost an additional 28 pounds. It is work for sure. My real complaint now with the band is having to get unfilled every time I get enough to have some restriction due to reflux, chest pain...but again it could be due to my gallbladder. If I get that out will the band be better? And not randomly feel too tight every other day?? Some nights I can't even lie on my left side because it is so painful. One day I can eat, the next I can barely keep down liquids. It's a real struggle i never know what my band will do. what I need to do is decide if I want to see if having my gallbladder out will improve the band functionality...Nurse said that's possible...because you get bloated and gassy from the gallbladder which causes the band to tighten up.

Every time I feel like I have my mind made up I change it.

Had my gallbladder removed and I am still vomiting and the various pain is not happening.I am going for barium swallow to see what is truly happening.He performs revisions in 2 steps.Band removal then revision.I am not jumping for joy.I have had deep vein thrombosis...I have to now put bypass back on the table.

Everyday is like a crap shoot with the band.Yesterday great,today barfed and terrible indigestion.

Never had much restriction with the band after a few months. I lost 50 and gained it all back . I have lost 33 pounds in 6 weeks with sleeve. Restriction is very quick. I cannot eat much at all maybe 3oz at a time. Way easier and more effective than lap band. I had mine in one surgery and it was a breeze. I had a lot of apprehension. I have already lost 5 inches off my stomach and 1.5 off my neck.

I'm having my gallbladder removed along with the revision from band to sleeve all in one too. My surgeon says it doesn't add any additional time so no need for me to worry.

23 days post op. So far I am pleased.

I had my band done in 2008 and lost about 100 pounds. Still needed to loose another 100 but started gaining and bottomed at 280 then got pregnant and up to 290. Started at 360. I have thrown up everyday. I can't get anything into my stomach. My Dr told me they weren't even doing the band anymore cause it doesn't work. It's like an hour glass. You're stomach is still the same size so I still want to eat a lot. So I take a bite and I'm clogged so I throw up and after doing that 3 or 4 times I can eat and sometimes I can eat quite a bit. Am having the band out next Friday and then 6 weeks later having the sleeve done. They take a hormone pouch when they cut the stomach which is hormones that make us hungry. I hope this works I need to lose 145 pounds!

I am still undecided about the revision.Is it sleeve or bypass?