Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I be on a liquid diet 2 weeks before my surgery?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this group. My surgery date is July 10th. I have been told by my surgeon that I only need to be on a liquid diet the day before my surgery but my daughter looked up some info and thinks I should be on a liquid diet 2 weeks prior. What is the norm?

Thank you!

You just need to do what your surgeon says to do. Some require a pre-op diet and some don't. Mine does not require a liquid diet and I consider myself one of the lucky ones. (Though they did require me to lose a certain amount of weight in order to qualify for surgery, they consider that my pre-op diet.)

I'd go with what your surgeon says. I did two weeks but the clinical I went to does that based on BMI.

A lot of people going to same clinical as me didn't have to do a pre-op diet at all. They simply had to stop eating and drinking 12 hours before surgery. But you doc knows what they need you to do, so I'd be comfortable following his/her instructions.

I wasn't on a liquid diet prior to surgery at all. My surgeon's pre-op diet is 3 small meals of 300 calories each of lean Protein and non-starchy veggies and 2 Protein shakes a day. I never had to do just liquids.

There is no norm, every doctor's requirements are a little different.

Here's my sort of unasked-for advice, and I know this is going to sound harsh, but I mean it in a caring way, I promise: follow the orders of your own doctor. Don't start following the orders of Dr. "Everyone Else on the Internet is Doing Something Different." You engaged your surgeon and hopefully you trust him or her enough to cut you open and perform major surgery on you. So why don't you trust your surgeon when it comes to knowing what protocol is needed for pre-op? Are you going to require an internet consensus of approval on every order they give you?

Like I said, I know this sounds harsh, but I really think it is important to get in the habit of closely following the orders of your own doctor rather than thinking strangers on the internet can give you better orders. I'm saying all of this because I really do want you to succeed :)

PS I wasn't on a liquid diet either, my surgeon doesn't think they are necessary for his patients.

The whole purpose of the pre-op diet is to shrink the liver to make it safer to retract for surgery. The length of pre-op diet is determined by BMI and how much your liver needs to shrink. That being said, your surgeon has made an educated decision on what he needs for you to do prior to surgery. So yes, follow your specific surgeons orders as he/she knows what will make your surgery the safest. Good luck!

There is no norm, every doctor's requirements are a little different.

Here's my sort of unasked-for advice, and I know this is going to sound harsh, but I mean it in a caring way, I promise: follow the orders of your own doctor. Don't start following the orders of Dr. "Everyone Else on the Internet is Doing Something Different." You engaged your surgeon and hopefully you trust him or her enough to cut you open and perform major surgery on you. So why don't you trust your surgeon when it comes to knowing what protocol is needed for pre-op? Are you going to require an internet consensus of approval on every order they give you?

Like I said, I know this sounds harsh, but I really think it is important to get in the habit of closely following the orders of your own doctor rather than thinking strangers on the internet can give you better orders. I'm saying all of this because I really do want you to succeed :)

PS I wasn't on a liquid diet either, my surgeon doesn't think they are necessary for his patients.

Thank you, I consider this great advise and not harsh at all. I will remember this as I get closer to my surgery date, nerves are starting to act up! lol

I think surgeons (in general) make decisions regarding something like a pre-op diet based on their understanding of the medical literature and their own experience. This is then applied to all of their patients (with some exceptions for extreme cases).

That being said, here are the facts:

1) The pre-op liquid diet does shrink the liver and won't hurt you at all.

2) It is your surgeon's opinion that it is not necessary.

I think you can pick whichever one you want.

Good Luck with your surgery.

Your doctor knows best. I will say that doing a 2 week diet won't hurt you and will prepare you for the post op diet. Some Protein shakes are nasty, better to figure out what you like before surgery. Best of Luck!