Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everyone experiences pain differently. Some more intense than others. Through this thread - if you are willing to share, please indicate the level of pain right after surgery, 1 week post-op, 2 weeks post. Was it mild, moderate or severe?

Please indicate if you were just sleeved or if you had additional surgery, such as Hiatal Hernia and or gallbladder removal.

Thanks!

I was sleeved on Monday. I had moderate pain the first couple of days. Maybe some mild pain the third day. Now, five days out, I have virtually no pain. Even if I push right on my incisions I have barely any discomfort. I did have some nausea the day after surgery but it went away and didn't return.

I was sleeved on June 9th. Immediately after surgery, I felt very little pain probably because my nurses were giving me good drugs every four hours. When I got home on Thursday, June 11th, I kept up with the meds every 4-6 hours. The next day I stopped and felt just fine. My incisions were a bit tender only when I pushed on them. The few gas bubbles felt like a cramp or muscle tweak for just a few minutes, but it passed quickly. I was pain free in about a week.

All in all, I was never above a four (out of 10) and usually at a 2, maybe 3.

I had a band removed and sleeve done in the same surgery on June 1st. I had morphine twice the first day in the hospital. The second day I had a dose of liquid Vicodan but that was for a major headache I had. I said I had a really bad headache and that's what they gave me.

I had nothing after that. No pain at all from the incisions - just soreness. I did have a major gas bubble in my left shoulder in the hospital but it finally went away.

Sleeved on June 24 - no pain, discharged at 1:30 pm same day, no need for pain meds or nausea meds.

Only discomfort is the tickle from being intubated.

Edited by dh02

I was sleeved on 6/10. I never rated my pain higher than a 2... and it probably wasn't even that. It, of course, only hurt when I was getting out of bed but once I was up I felt pretty good. When I came out from anesthesia I was terribly nauseated and felt some pain and they hit me up with some good stuff. After that, no problem. I was sleeved late in the evening on 6/10 and discharged the next evening. They gave me a prescription for vidodin when I got home that I didn't even use.

I was sleeved September 18, 2015. No other procedure. My pain was practically non-existent. It felt like I had done 100 sit ups the day before, but that was it. No issues with gas, Constipation or nausea. I never used my pain pump. Walked in recovery. Post op was uneventful.

Sleeved 4/21/15. I came out of surgery with no pain or nausea. I did have pain meds before I woke up, but that was it. I didn't have any more after that. I was a little sore at first getting up out of the bed, but it didn't last too long. It was more like I had done 100 crunches and had sore abs. That was it.

Sounds like most people replying were luckier than me. I had a lot of post op pain - not at the incision sites at the surface but deep inside. It worried me a lot as I thought something might be wrong but at my post-op check-ups it was dismissed as 'referred pain' and I was told that some people got it and others didn't. If I twisted or leaned forward I sometimes got a deep stabbing pain that was enough to take my breath away. However it stopped after 6 weeks post-op and I didn't have any problems after that.

I'm not posting to scare people but rather to reassure anyone who is experiencing pain that they're not the only one and as long as they have check-ups they need not worry as it will soon be gone.

I was sleeved on 6/24...I had a moderate amount of pain after the surgery (in recovery room) which was quickly treated with dilaudid, and I felt much better. I was given the dilaudid every 2.5 hours all that day and through to the next morning. At that point. I wanted to try going without pain meds, which I did for about 7 hours, and I started to have some mild discomfort (mostly from gas). They gave me Vicodin (but I think that extra strength Tylenol would have been sufficient). This is my long way of saying that it is possible to get through this with short-lived pain. As everyone pretty much summed up above, everyone has different pain thresholds, but the medical professionals WILL take care of you. Good luck!

I was sleeved May 15th and also had a hiatal hernia repair. I was done as an outpatient and had liquid hydrocodone for pain. I took it faithfully for 2 days as prescribed every 4 hours...then day 3 I went to 6 then 8 hours and day four I took none. My pain really was only ever mild. The only time I really felt tender was when I got up or sat down. Overall I was really surprised at how pain free I was.

I was shocked how painful it was because of the easy ride I read about on this web site. I mean, it hurt to breathe when I woke up! Looking back, I think my operation was rushed. I was the 6th and last WLS of the day and everyone was in a hurry once I finally was ready. My mom said it only took about 20 minutes at the most. In my opinion, the surgeon was a little too rough and it led to more pain than normal. My stomach was one huge bruise for many weeks. Also, the painkillers didn't work on me since one of my daily medications works as an opiate antagonist/blocker.

I would rather have 2 C-sections than go though the same VSG again. Don't let this scare you, my experience is a little abnormal compared to most others. I'm just glad its all over. You feel so much better after the first four days.

I was sleeved this past Monday, 6/22/15, included was a gall bladder removal. I woke up as I was being wheeled into my room (remembered nothing from OR or recovery room), and I was screaming "I wasn't prepared for this" out loud. It felt like a 60 pound child was sitting on my tummy. The nurse said "we'll get you hooked up to the pain meds right away" and then all was fine. Once the pain meds were hooked up I was fine, no problem at all. Left the hospital the next day and my pain level was at 0 - 1 .... Haven't taken any pain pills at all since being home, have had zero discomfort. My only issue on Wed/Thurs was how weak I was, no energy. That too has passed. Friday and Saturday I can honestly say I'm at 85%.....even went out with friends tonight (drank Water, laughed and talked)

I think it varies. I had a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time and I'm sure that made it worse. My first night was really tough even with the dilauded every couple of hours. I was sleeping all the time and needed the pain meds for about a week though towards the end I was cutting them in half. I also am still finding that I need to take it really easy. I have bursts of energy and then overdo things and am a bit useless for a couple of days.

Day 1-3 mild cramping from the drain. That went away as soon as they pulled the drain. After that, zero pain. Still didn't need any narcotics before, during or after surgery. Was out shopping 18 hours postop. Like others said my ab muscles just felt fatigued...like I'd done a hundred sit-ups.