Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self Conscious....

Hey All,

My name is Rebecca and I am almost 29 and married from NJ. I have about 70-80 lbs to lose....I had my band for a year and just got it removed two days ago. I am doing a 3 month medically supervised diet then revising to the sleeve in September. I know I have to kick up my exercise regime once my surgery incisions heal up. I am a big fan of yoga but have found it to be hard since I have gained weight (At one point I was down to a size 8/10 but gained the weight back to a size 20). I have a gym membership but find it hard to motivate myself to go because I am very self conscious of the way I look. I need to get myself to go and walk on the treadmill or go to one of their classes and not care if people look at me. Does anyone have any advice as to how to get over the gym jitters? Thanks!

I used to be like that then one day I just didn't care...most people at the gym aren't looking at you as much as you think they are..and if they are who knows what they are thinking!

I was watching someone train the other day and all I was thinking about was how much fun the boxing looked...get out of your own head and do for you!

I used to be like that then one day I just didn't care...most people at the gym aren't looking at you as much as you think they are..and if they are who knows what they are thinking!

I was watching someone train the other day and all I was thinking about was how much fun the boxing looked...get out of your own head and do for you!

Thanks jeanniereenie, I really needed this today! I have "gym jitters" also, not only that I have issues with crowds! So I tend to stay away from the gym when I know I should be "living" there!

@@Rebeccaabrooks86

Sorry for the length of this post.

I was the same. I felt like I would be judged for my size and being out of shape at the gym. The majority of people are concentrating on their own goals and not to concerned about people around them.

The funniest things seem to happen to me at the gym and makes me laugh at myself every day. I know if this crap is happening to me. I know it has to be happening to other WLS patients. If you or anyone has a gym story I have to know about it.

First I found my personality changed. I'm competitive and aggressive when I workout. I had to give my gym persona a name. Her name is holy hell girl friend

Second. I seem to get lost in my music. It drives and motivates me. Before I knew it I was keeping up exercising to the beat of the music. Here is where my mind takes me at the gym. I was listening to a warriors call by Volbeat. I started picturing myself in camouflage and the added camouflage face paint. OMG had to chuckle at myself and hope no one knew about my twisted self at the gym

Third..Here is one of my NSV. Three tread mills were empty. I stepped up to the middle one. I noticed two people on both sides stepped up at the same time. To my right was a young guy. to my left a guy about my age. I start jogging a song walking a song. The young guy wont be out done by the old lady next to him. He starts jog/walking. Now the guy to the left sees this and he begins jog/waling. In my twisted mind THE RACE WAS ON!

Soon the young guy to the right is breathing heavy and can't quite keep up. In my twisted mind I hear a sports announcer giving me a play by play of this guy struggling. Soon he gives up stops the treadmill and hit the locker room. VICTORY! I was on the treadmill longer than the young guy.

I finish my hour on the treadmill the guy to the left thanks me for keeping him motivated. ( instant shock for me) He introduces himself and he was a physical education teacher at a local high school. BIG NSV

these are things that have never happened to me in my life time. Its been one of my biggest joys after my WLS. I hope it never ends.

Hey All,

My name is Rebecca and I am almost 29 and married from NJ. I have about 70-80 lbs to lose....I had my band for a year and just got it removed two days ago. I am doing a 3 month medically supervised diet then revising to the sleeve in September. I know I have to kick up my exercise regime once my surgery incisions heal up. I am a big fan of yoga but have found it to be hard since I have gained weight (At one point I was down to a size 8/10 but gained the weight back to a size 20). I have a gym membership but find it hard to motivate myself to go because I am very self conscious of the way I look. I need to get myself to go and walk on the treadmill or go to one of their classes and not care if people look at me. Does anyone have any advice as to how to get over the gym jitters? Thanks!

Just do it. Most people aren't thinking about you and many have been where you are. Seriously just get out of your head and focus on doing what you need to do.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm definitely going to try going back to a basics yoga class and try my best to hook up the headphones and get on the treadmill. I know I can do it. I may even treat myself to a new exercise outfit to kick it off.

I've always had the gym jitters. One of the decisions I made was to go in the morning. I found after work that those who made me feel the most uncomfortable (my fault, not theirs) came after work. I'd go in the morning as I always found there to be a more mature crowd there at 5:30am - this made me feel more comfortable until I started feeling more confident.

That's a great idea!

I agree with the above comments. I too was so embarrassed to go to the gym and of what people might think of me. But my friend gave me the best advice and said "honey I love you but people aren't gonna be looking at you. They are gonna be working out". So I went. I go super early in the morning (4:00 am) because that works best for me and my family. But get yourself some new cute comfy gym clothes, a new water bottle, and some good tunes and go for it

I have issues with going out....period.

I bought a treadmill for that purpose specifically. I live in a tiny town with no place to exercise anymore, anyway. It closed.

But...as I work on things like this in therapy. I remember my therapist once reminding me, just because it seems all eyes are on me when I walk into a room, I have to observe when others walk into a room. Most everyone just naturally looks up/over to see who has arrived. That makes me feel a little better, and it's true. I've observed people doing it. Look up, quick glance, and back to whatever they were doing.

I think as most people have said, people are focused on themselves and their goals and not really all that worried about anyone else.

I was walking quite a bit, and then it got way too hot, so I had to join a gym. I joined the Y here in Charlotte, and for several weeks I would only work out in the women's fitness room. Every time I went I would tell myself today I'm going to venture out, but I wouldn't do it. Friday one of the treadmills was broken and someone was using the other one (only 2 in the women's area.) I sucked it up, and went upstairs and it's a whole new world. When I see a larger person working out, I always think "good for you!" I'm assuming that's what others think of me, and if they're not I don't care.

Find whatever gets you through the door. Cute workout clothes, good music, I'm listening to an audiobook only when I work out. If I want to find out how it ends, I have to keep going.

Good luck!

I'm at the gym at least 5 days a week, and have been doing so for quite a few years....see every type of body type.

I can tell you from my perspective, and others who are true Gym Rats, we have nothing but the highest admiration for people who make the commitment to be there....and quietly inside are rooting them on.

I've always had the gym jitters. One of the decisions I made was to go in the morning. I found after work that those who made me feel the most uncomfortable (my fault, not theirs) came after work. I'd go in the morning as I always found there to be a more mature crowd there at 5:30am - this made me feel more comfortable until I started feeling more confident.

There are different crowds different times of the day...I do not care for the evening crowd....I go at 5am, plenty of professionals who bring their business clothes on a hanger, go straight to work after a workout and shower....

Another option is to just go out for a walk rather than going to the gym. I can't stand being on a treadmill or any cardio machine for that matter, I just find myself staring at the timer waiting for it to be over. But I really enjoy going out for a walk every day and occasionally hiking.

I like the idea of an audiobook or sometimes what I've done is watched a show on the "Hulu" app on my phone the few times I've ventured out in the past.