Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Veggies........fit them in wherever you can. Since my meals are comprised mostly of Protein, I only get a bit or two of veggies in before I get full. So, sometimes I will eat a snack of celery stick or two with pimento or cream cheese between meals.

Beans, Beans, they're good for your heart--the more you eat, the more you... aren't constipated as much. :)

Benefiber mixed in with Crystal Light also helps.

Edited by kd5wzr

I've used Mirolax powder if you're still struggling.

Pain meds will do it too. I am taking Colace 3 times per day - and occasional Milk of Magnesia to get things really moving. first time was HORRIBLE! I cried and laid on the floor shaking. Yes, ridiculous but wow I have never had that kind of pain and I have passed about 60 kidney stones in the last 3 years (4 since my WLS on June 4). My NUT recommended Benefiber or some sort of Fiber supplement too - at least until I can get veggies back in my diet.

I saw some post on here yesterday that said it was like passing a Pineapple! HAHAHA! So true!

Edited by Daisee68

I just called my surgeon today for this same issue. I am 15 days post surgery today. My first release was awful at day 9 post op!!! It was black and scared me to death. Turned out that was just blood from the stomach removal process and is totally normal. However, I literraly sat on the throne or over 1 hour and although I had relief, my body went into a crazy shock and I felt terrible the next day. Now I am at day 15 and I gained 1lb but I know it's because I havent had a bowel movememt since the "total clense" as I called it. Surgeon said to try Mirolax and if that didn't work he would write me a perscription for something stronger. I just started on the softer foods (purred) and will be adding in the veggies tonight.

I believe our bodies are just adjusting,ventyually it will all be better. :)

Oh my gosh. Just finally was relieved from severe Constipation tonight. Have 3 hemmroids as a result and let me tell you, popping out a pineapple is exactly what it feels like. Oh my gosh, almost passed out on the toilet this afternoon and was drenched in sweat! It was horrible. Delivering my 10 lb son was a piece of cake compared to the "pineapple".

So dr gave me a fleet enema as well as told me to take restoralax, as well as senokot for the time being. Worst thing EVER!!! But I'll sleep tonight!!

Water, water and more water! And Miralax if needed.

I have a terrible time finding the right balance between no Fiber supplements and too many. I had a bad reaction to Benifiber so switched to Gummy fiber chews. The clinic directions are 12-1/2 grams of fiber in supplement form per day. Two gummy chews equal 4 grams of fiber. If I don't take any supplement I am constipated. If I take five gummy fiber supplements I get horrible gas and explosive diarrhea. Perhaps the answer is to take supplements every other day. I am two-1/2 months out from surgery and am able to have 1/2 C Vegetables and 1/2 C fruit each day. Even with that and no fiber supplement I have Constipation problems.

None of you are mentioning it so I will say it again....WATER!!,! All the fiber in the world will not help you if you to not have something to wash your system with. Water is the key element for combating constipation! You can never drink too much Water after bariatric surgery! ...well, you still don't want to stretch your stomach but you know what I mean....

I want to point out, too, how important it is to have an "in person" support group other than here on line. I am not a member of Kaiser but their bariatric support groups, at least here in Bakersfield, CA, allow outsiders to join in. Find one close to home and go every week. It is the best thing you can do for yourselves!

None of you are mentioning it so I will say it again....WATER!!,! All the fiber in the world will not help you if you to not have something to wash your system with. Water is the key element for combating constipation! You can never drink too much water after bariatric surgery! ...well, you still don't want to stretch your stomach but you know what I mean....

I want to point out, too, how important it is to have an "in person" support group other than here on line. I am not a member of Kaiser but their bariatric support groups, at least here in Bakersfield, CA, allow outsiders to join in. Find one close to home and go every week. It is the best thing you can do for yourselves!

Good point about water. I do get a minimum of 64 oz in each day and often times several oz more than that. However that amount of water doesn't seem to make any difference in the actions of the colon. What I do notice is now I have to get up in the night twice to urinate. sleep is impacted.

Hi, JB !

I'm surprised you can get that much Water down after only 2 months!

If it was me, I would stay away from carbs for a while except for leafy veggies that I know, for me, would do the trick. The other thing would be to move.... Get your gut working by shaking it up. But, to be honest, whenever I have had Constipation, it has been due to lack of Water so I am sorta stuck as to what else to suggest.

Best of luck!

Dorothy