Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My friend and I booked our gastric plication surgery with Dr Lopez in Mexico for July 17th. Been thinking about it for years.

Congratulations on taking the big step!!! On your DOS I'll be one month out from mine. Time will really fly until then and you'll be thrilled! :-)

Thanks CloserToFine. How are you feeling obviously just a few days out of surgery?

Exciting! I'm almost 3 months post op. Best decision I ever made.

Thanks CloserToFine. How are you feeling obviously just a few days out of surgery?

As I put it in another post, my abdomen has felt like it was kicked by several dozen mules and the incisions aren't the prettiest things I've ever seen. (Don't get me started on the drainage tube.) The worst part is the fatigue and fuzziness. You really DO need someone reliable nearby to care for you, and watch out while trying to take a shower. (Use a medical shower seat if possible; I bought one for $20 online.)

On the other hand, I have already turned several corners in only one week's time. First major corner: realizing that I can sip and take in nourishment without getting sick. (At least yet!) I'm very careful about that. Second major corner: yesterday I was able to drink Protein shakes for the first time after 5 days of a clear liquid diet. It made ALL the difference! I began to feel like myself again. My thinking became clearer, my mood improved, and I could just feel myself getting stronger. This process is an incredible teacher about the effect of food and nutrients in your diet. Third and final corner during this past week: I've lost 10 pounds since surgery. I haven't been too focused on numbers, but it's nice anyway! So between my 10-day full liquid diet (starting on June 8) and today (June 25), I've lost 17 lbs total.

Congrats again on your decision and your surgery date. Let me know anytime if you have any questions! :)

I had sleeve and hernia repair. I took some narcotics the couple of days I was in the hospital. It also helped me sleep. Once I got home I never even needed a Tylenol. I napped only a little bit through Day 5.

My pain level was initially like having done WAY, WAY too many sit-ups. That tight muscle feeling when you get out of bed or a chair that then loosens up as you move around. It quickly faded to a I did too many sit-ups to no big deal. I walked a lot, I made meals for hubby since I was home. Due to weather DH would take me to the mall or Lowe's a couple of times a day to walk starting Day 4. In between I would walk in circles in my house- kitchen, DR, LR, hallway, family room back to kitchen etc...

6 days after surgery I went out to Breakfast with friends- I brough broth and SF Jello. But I was comfortable moving around and sitting in regular chairs. I was wearing PJ bottoms. Funny thing was they were running a 15% discount if you were wearing pajamas so hubby got my discount.

I had the world's easiest recovery though.

Congratulations!!! You will love Dr Lopez. He just did my plication surgery last weekend and they took excellent care of me. Private hospital, private room and an attentive staff. Plan on walking walking walking - I had a hard time with this due to a knee injury - but it will help ease the pain from the gas. Buy or bring some GasX or something similar, that too will help. One item they did not tell me about was you will have to have your outer stitches (from the laparoscopy - 5 holes) removed about a week after you get home - they are not the type that dissolve.

Thanks for your comments Jannieton. I have spoken to Dr Lopez and found him easy to talk to and he answered all my questions carefully as wanted to be sure I understood. I plan on walking and walking, no problem with that. Thanks for the info on needing to get the stitches removed. Like you I was not aware of that but it is no big deal. Glad you are happy with the care you got. Please update me on your continued progress.

Hello everyone-I just went through the band to sleeve.Did anyone have to have a drainage tube?If so how did it work out for you,I go back on Wednesday and I am hoping they take it out,but what I am still draining?Has this happened to anyone? Please share,Thank you!!

jannietom, back safely after a wonderful experience with Dr Lopez and Bariatric Pal. No stitches to be removed. I was glued. Wonder why the difference. How are you doing? I will post more after I had rested from the long trip home.

okay, had my first cup of coffee this morning (with vanilla Protein powder and milk, natch) felt on top of the world, made myself a big to do list for the day...and only got 2 things done LOL but took morning walk before anything. after that, went to an appointment, then alternated resting and doing a little bit the rest of the day, just had my 1st 2 bites of not liquid food--cottage cheese. what i normally would have inhaled in less than a minute...is still on my plate waiting to be eaten 5 minutes later. so far so very, very good.

what would i do different?

gotten a carry on bag with wheels--my carry on was way heavier than i was supposed to carry and i think that contributed to my discomfort--make that moderate misery--on the flight(s) back.

would not have used my very heavy, powerful, self propelled vacuum cleaner this morning--could feel all my core muscles engaging and felt pretty yucky for a while afterward.

at the contrast x ray i tossed that contrast liquid down in one big gulp. very bad decision. wound up having to take a double dose. diarrhea is a major side effect. does not play nice with walking alking walking round town....

i would have brought actual walking shoes, didn;t understand the meaning of walking walking walking, figured i'd be strolling hospital corridors like i have after previous surgeries here in the states. and wore crocs. wound up with a big ole blister. while also having diarrhea. wound up missing a day of town walking. no fun.

i would have brought sunscreen--again figured i'd be walking indoors and wouldn;t need it.

would have left my most of my reading material at home. heavy books that i was too tired to concentrate on and read., except for the flight out. not worth the weight in the carry on.

1 week post op

Meve3681 How are doing now? Still losing weight and happy with your choice? Jannelton how re you doing now? Must be 7 weeks or so for you now.

I am feeling pretty good. The energy level is coming up and in fact it is probably higher than it has been in some time. I am doing fine with small meals and seem to be able to eat anything chewed well and in small quantities. The bod is getting smaller and the scale is creeping down.

Best thing I have done for myself in years.

Robinsonalex so is this what you are going to do? Always interested to chat with others interested in this procedure.