Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band conversion to ?

I had lap band placed in 2009, lost about 40 lbs the first 3 months and ended up pregnant. Gained all the weight back and then some. Tried fills after having my daughter, but nothing really worked. So, I'm now trying to convert to another wls and just so unsure which way to go. I have been researching, youtubing, and reading forums. My dr removed my lap band in May 2015. No issues with reflux, slippage, erosions, etc. I initially decided on the sleeve, but I've read so many issues such as slow or no weight loss due to being a conversion, sleeve revising to bypass, and sleeves starting to have more issues with leaks. I guess I need to stay offline. Bypass is considered the "gold standard", but I'm scared about the rerouting, taking Vitamins for the rest of my life, and of course...leaks. So, I guess I need feedback on your experiences and why you chose to convert to bypass or sleeve. Also, anybody with slow weight loss or other issues with sleeve that had conversion done in 1 surgery versus 2 surgeries, I would like to hear your experiences as well.

I had the band to bypass revision 5 weeks ago and so far it has been great! My band had slipped and I was having bad reflux and gained back a bunch of weight. The surgeon removed ALOT of scar tissue from the band and had to remove part of my stomach but I healing well and losing weight on track. I was just told at my last appointment that I am loosing faster than most revision patients. I should have done the bypass in the beginning. Good Luck!

Thanks for responding! Im starting to feel I should have done bypass from the beginning too. Its pros and cons to both, it just what you are willing to deal with. I keep thinking about long term issues, but you can never predict the future. Good luck in your journey. Keep me updated.

I was scared to have gastric bypass but now wish I had. If I have to get my band removed, I was leaning towards the sleeve but have bad acid reflux so that is out. I will go with GB if I don't have success with my band once I get filled again.

@@Ligaleagle86 how has your weight loss been? I have heard that most revision people loose weight slower than if they would have gone right into bypass. I only lost about 5 pounds a month with the band. I too had horrible reflux. The kind that would wake you up at night gagging. I HATE this band and cannot wait to remove it. At the same time I am scared that the bypass won't work either.

@@hubbark1, I have lost 34lbs since May 20th and am ahead of my goal at this point according to my team. They did tell me that revision patients do tend to lose slower but that has not been my experience. I have slowed down some int he last week but I was told that was to be expected. It really is the best decision I have made for my health. The band worked for a while and then it did not. It slipped, I was gaining weight and having bad reflux. Glad it is gone!

@@Ligaleagle86 That's so awesome! I hope I have the same success as you.