Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow and steady turtle here!

I've got my 6 month checkup appointment tomorrow, and I've just lost 61 pounds as of today. So that is roughly 10 pounds down each month. Compared to most sleevers, that's pretty darn slow. (and I'm just a few pounds away from my halfway point - woohoo!)

I couldn't be happier, tho.

Every stall has taught me something. I look at my eating - has it increased in sugar or refined carbs? Need to up the Protein? Activity level sort of crappy? Maybe I need to add in something, or maybe I haven't done anything in a week and just need to get off my butt and go for a walk... and if I make changes, within another week I see results. Not super crazy awesome weight loss... but I see solid results every time I make adjustments.

And of course, sometimes a stall is just a weight stall and I am still losing fat and gaining muscle. I've lost so many inches since I started! Down 3 sizes and about to go to 4. I have a wedding to attend next month that I thought I'd have to buy a new dress for... turns out I can fit into a dress I haven't worn in over 10 years that would be perfect! Bonus!

This is how it is supposed to be. I'm no longer fighting the ravenous hunger, and I can't mindlessly overeat any more, so I am making overall better choices. I'm finally feeling better and can see actual results, so I'm encouraged to keep going.

I'm still fat and I am losing hair, but both of those are temporary. The slow loss is making it a bit easier on my skin (no saggy stuff yet, seems to be tightening up with the slow loss) and the hair thing is easy to camoflage since I dyed it light enough to not show a big contrast between hair and scalp and wear it up in a messy bun most of the time anyway.

I have also struggled with very low energy the entire time, so my actual activity levels have been less than stellar, and yet I am still steadily losing. As I lose, I am starting to get energy back since my body isn't having to drag as much of itself around, and I've finally started getting a good routine going - especially swimming. But the main thing that has been pretty eye-opening - is that weight loss really is primarily about restricting the amount and type of food I eat.

Oh, and my husband has been working at his diet/weight right along with me, and has lost over 50 pounds in the same time period. We're getting healthy together. :)

So while initially I was sad I was a "slow loser" in the early days, I am pretty darned happy now because it is working for me. It has been a learning process to see how I lose weight and what foods and exercise are best for me.

I know I'll hit my personal finish line... eventually. I may not know when that will be, but I'll get there!

Edited by FrankiesGirl

So happy for you! I will also have a wedding to attend when I'm about 6 months out, and I have a really cute dress languishing in the back of my closet that I'm really hoping I'll be able to wear.

@@FrankiesGirl - You are making great progress!!! Slow or not. Congratulations!!! 60 lbs. is fabulous!! And it's terrific that your hubby is improving his health along side you!

I consider my loss slow as well, but as long as progress is being made, that's all that matters. And progress isn't necessarily just about pounds lost like you said--we're learning new behaviors, moving more, and getting healthier. This is our new lifestyle.

Keep up the great work!!!

Way to go! Slow and steady wins the race as they say. Hooray for supportive hubbys! Progress is progress, you've got this!

I was still at 50 some pounds at 6 months out, so I don't think you're that slow ;)

You have a good attitude about it. Sure, we can't help compare ourselves to others sometimes and get frustrated, but we know we will get there! Took me a long time to stop stressing over it and just accept the fact that it's not going to just fall off me. I just practice patience, persistence, and resilience. And now I'm only 11 pounds to goal. And happy and healthy :)

Congratulations and not too slow at all. It's a fantastic amount of weight to lose in 6 months and I bet you feel great. It's really encouraging that your husband is a buddy for you and 50 llbs is a huge amount as well.

Keep Smiling!

Kate

Edited by ukkateuk

GREAT JOB!! Very inspiring to see, that when you don't do as well as expected, you examine what you have/have not been doing, learn from your mistake and move on with a positive attitude!

I'm POSITIVE you will have continued, lifelong success

Update at 11 months:

Still plodding along at the turtle pace, and still very, very pleased.

I've lost as of today 88.5 pounds (with my 11 month sleevaversary in 2 days). I have hopes to push that to 100 pounds in time for my year checkup appointment with the bariatric doc. Might not make it, but I'll be close enough for my satisfaction I'm sure.

My hair loss was minimal. I noticed it just because I was watching for it to start happening, but no one else (even my hairdresser) said I lost that much if anything. I was really hitting my Protein and taking my Vitamins during the whole time so that might have helped considerably.

I'm down 4 sizes and could be shortly down 5. Have to go try on some clothes soon. :D

Skin sag is still minimal. I have a tiny bit of sag around my neck area (the under chin part) but no one else seems to notice it (husband says I'm crazy and there's nothing saggy there, but I SEE IT). Skin on legs is ever so slightly wrinkled depending on how I cross my legs - Oh, I can CROSS MY LEGS. :D - but otherwise, no signs of obvious sagging. Wow.

Good for me also is that the boob area seems to be holding steady. I have lost band size, but my cup size is the exact same. Which I'm happy about as I liked my boobs (and so did the husband).

I have regained my hourglass figure - which is AWESOME.

I had to get a new ring about 3 months ago as my wedding band kept slipping off. It's now happening again. I've lost at least 2 ring sizes for goodness sake! Even my fingers were fat apparently!

I can see more definition in my hands and feet now. I have ankles again!

I can wear shoes that were too small and cut into the tops of my feet because I guess they would swell and get too fat. Oh and my feet don't swell up from walking and standing/sitting too long any more.

I can take a bath now, and there are large gaps between my hips and the sides of the tub. I used to touch both sides solidly and have to shift around to get Water to flow behind me, but not any more!

I don't have to shift my sides around to buckle my seatbelt in the car.

I have cheekbones again. In fact, from the shoulder up (due to my swimming, I have nice muscles in my shoulder/arm area) I don't look fat at all.

My arms and legs no longer have tingling or numbness when I sleep.

Things I've learned so far:

Carbs do count with my diet. If I get around 50-75 grams/day, then I'm going to be okay, but over that for any length of time, and my weight loss will stall.

Keeping my calories up is actually a good thing. I eat between 1000-1400 a day. But when I'm on the high side, I see more weight loss. I think it is because I'm getting my metabolism up enough to have energy to do things so I don't feel so tired all the time and move more.

Grazing is BAD. I can't let my guard down with grazing since it is just boredom, tired, or head hunger. Distraction is the name of the game. So I have things like baby carrots for crunch or a glass of milk (mootopia with lowered lactose and higher protein) if I'm desperate and really think I'm hungry, but otherwise I get 3 meals and 2 Snacks and that's it.

I definitely have slider foods - and I don't bring them in the house any more.

I can eat "bad" things occasionally as a special treat and not wreck my weight loss. The key is moderation (something I always had issues with). A piece or two of chocolate is enough for me to be happy.

Edited by FrankiesGirl