Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have Lapband and Want Get GB Revision but Hubby Scared for Me To

I've had my band for 7 years and think it is probably going to come out. I have horrible acid reflux and get spasms in my esophogus. I also experience horrible cramping in my legs and feel very tired all the time. I've seem numerous doctors and none of them came really pinpoint what is going on. I've always thought in the back of my head that it could be related to the band because i never experienced problems like this until I got the band. I go see the doctor in 8 days and if he recommends the GB revision I want to say yes but hubby is scared for me to have the surgery. I told him I am very worried that I will gain all of my weight back if I don't have something to help me but he's scared. Does anyone have any words of encouragement for me?

I was in the same boat, and I'm now a month out from my revision! My husband was leery of my decision to revise, but in the end he could see how much my weight was affecting my mental health. He asked many questions of the surgeon and was pleased with the answers. What does your husband dislike about the idea? There were about six months between my deciding to revise and actually having the procedure, what with all the waiting for appointments and whatnot, so you probably have time to commit. I will say that I was so unhappy with the band that I probably would have had it taken out even without the revision. The bypass so far has been what I wanted the band to be but never was. Some people love their bands, I realize, but it did not cooperate with my body and I was always in pain of some sort (standard reflux, choking on acid, food-related pain, etc). Good luck!

Long,

What did you decide to do? I just came home from an appointment where I thought I was going to get a fill and the doc said no, my choice is now to live with my band without anymore fills, go to a doctor who's outside my insurance and pay for a fill. Or my doc said he'd take my band out and give me a bypass. My husband however does not like the idea of me "re wiring" my natural body. Not like the band where you can just take it out. The by pass is permanent.

Long,

What did you decide to do? I just came home from an appointment where I thought I was going to get a fill and the doc said no, my choice is now to live with my band without anymore fills, go to a doctor who's outside my insurance and pay for a fill. Or my doc said he'd take my band out and give me a bypass. My husband however does not like the idea of me "re wiring" my natural body. Not like the band where you can just take it out. The by pass is permanent.

What do you mean you could still get fills but not from your current surgeon?!?!?!? I got the band in 2009 because of the worry about the rerouting, etc, and it turned out to be the wrong decision. So far I'm really liking the bypass...

So Excited,

I went last week and saw a new doctor. He instantly said I was overfilled and took all 7cc out of my band. I go back next week and he said he will slowly start giving me fills to see if I can get to losing again. He did make the comment that I will most likely be seeing him a lot. We did not discuss bypass but wanted to see if we can get the band working for me again since I had lost close to 100# with it. I still had 60# more to lose at my lowest. I've since gone up and yo-yo between 25-35#. I learned to eat around my band by eating/drinking high calorie soft foods. I go back next week to start the fills again. I'm excited because I've been eating like a crazy person.

Why doesn't your doctor want to give you more fills?

I wish I could figure it out better, he told me he would not give me anymore fills because I had gotten stuck where i am. God, this is what i get for telling the truth. I get stck "if" i eat a bite to big and to fast. But if i go slow i can eat EVERYTHING! So i was sitting in his office in tears, sobbing like a baby. I'm a band failure, lost it and gained it back because i was too tight so ate junk to satisfy myself. Got unfilled a bit and was good at first because i could eat salads and chicken again. But I obviously can eat too much now and he doesn't get it. He will take my band out and bypass me though so im going to start filling out the paperwork and go to the meetings etc to go for it. I hope to get my husband's support because he means everything to me.

Long,

Hello, actually they can reverse a bypass. A sleeve...no. Once they remove the stomach, its gone. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22810420

I've had my band for 7 years and think it is probably going to come out. I have horrible acid reflux and get spasms in my esophogus. I also experience horrible cramping in my legs and feel very tired all the time. I've seem numerous doctors and none of them came really pinpoint what is going on. I've always thought in the back of my head that it could be related to the band because i never experienced problems like this until I got the band. I go see the doctor in 8 days and if he recommends the GB revision I want to say yes but hubby is scared for me to have the surgery. I told him I am very worried that I will gain all of my weight back if I don't have something to help me but he's scared. Does anyone have any words of encouragement for me?

My husband initially didn't like the idea of me having bypass, until he got to speak with my surgeon. I think he was afraid at one point that I would lose all of the weight and leave him for someone else. I think he was silly for thinking that but I would not do that and I have reassured him. I love him and he has been supportive through every diet I have been on no matter how silly it was including me wanting the band and including the removal. He even cooked for me just to make it easier for me to be compliant. He loves me for me, and loves me being at the weight I am, but he understands that the struggle I have is real and will be there for me no matter what. He understands that my health and longevity is at stake so he is now more accepting of me wanting the bypass and he is on board. I would talk with your husband to try and see what his reservations are. Best of luck to you! Let us all know how it turns out! :)

I was initially going with the sleeve but now I have finally made up my mind.The revision to bypass is the way for me.This lap and has caused me problems for 11 years .I am revising to the "Gold Standard"....plain and simple.....want the band out!

I think the bypass is better than the sleeve, I have even heard of sleeves being bypassed, so you are right the gold standard is the best.

My husband is slowly coming around, he saw my mother recently and she has gained a lot of weight and is 86. She has 0 muscle mass and has a super hard time doing everything, even stepping off a curb I told him I did not want to be that fat old lady who can barley walk, I want to be thin and fit when Im old (Im 50 now) it will be a lot easier to be an old thin person rather than an old fat person. Not to mention my knee has been killing me. Guess it didnt help when I fell over on my bike ride this morning :( But at least Im getting a work out in!

Soexcited,

Absolutely!....I am hoping that this insurance will approve and pay for this revision.Its all done laparoscopically so it is all the same.My friend had the sleeve done 2 months ago....yes she is losing and happy but she admitted to eating a bit too fast and sliming up....I have severe acid reflux and my stomach needs a rest...I am not looking to cut 85% of it out.Its good like how the "band" was good at the time....not falling for the hype again."Gold Standard" with proven results....I got off the sleeve forum because it's not happening.....I havE read on other forums of leakage etc.....bypass....for sure.

No longer undecided.....just need to change doctor....not happy with this new one.....

My (now ex) husband pushed me to get the band even though my surgeon highly suggested GB. 7/27 I had the band removed and on 8/31 I'm scheduled for GB. I will never again let anyone influence a decision that effects my body. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Bummer ellasmom :( how did your band removal go??

It was ok actually! Gas pain mostly but I'm back to normal now ????