Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gained most of my weight back

Frumpy don't participate in the blame and shame - yeah you made some food choices that didn't help matters, but the amount of effort we have to put into keeping the weight off is absolutely shocking and not something people are willing to really admit/talk about. At my lowest weight I had lost 135 lbs since surgery (it took almost 4 years). I still wasn't at goal but I was close. That was one year ago. In eleven months I gained back 43 lbs. Also, that grand total of 135 pounds lost since surgery represents a loss of about 34 pounds a year, or about 3 pounds a month. That is actually worse than had I just gone on a VLC diet. And as it turns out, I will be on a severe diet the rest of my life - we all will, if we want to be starkly honest with ourselves. This last regain was my second regain since surgery. My surgery was July of 2010 I was 294 lbs,17 months later I was at my lowest post-op weight of 172 lbs. My first regain was Summer 2012 and within 6 months I had gained 30 lbs. I plateaued around 200 for the next 6 months and then got on a serious recommittment kick and dropped 40 lbs in 4 months. I held onto my new lowest weight since surgery (159 lbs) for 5 months, until May of 2014, before I started to gain again. From May 2014 to May 2015 I gained the aforementioned 43 lbs. May 28th 2015 I weighed in at 223 lbs and on the 29th I recommitted again to faithful post-op style eating, all the strict guidance we are initially given and that we follow to. the.letter. In the past 20 days I have lost only 5 1/4 lbs. To say this is frustrating cannot even begin to express it. And before anyone starts suggesting reasons for this slowness, yes I have had all my thyroids checked, yes I have done everything to the letter of the law, yes I have done all one is meant to do.

The truth is that our bodies get f***ed up, metabolically, which they already had problems with to begin with which is what was part of what made us obese in the first place. For the rest of our lives we do not get the luxury of eating a reasonable sensible diet and exercising reasonably to keep a healthy body and weight. It requires an unreasonable amount of diligence and a level of concern over calories/exercise/and the components of food that is usually reserved for those with severe eating disorders.

If you want to keep that honeymoon weight (if you were actually lucky enough to achieve goal during honeymoon phase, which I was not) then resign yourself to eating between 600 and 800 calories with less than 40g carbs, for the rest of your effing life. *

*take this rant with a grain of salt as I am obviously terribly upset and frustrated and sad right now.

only 8 weeks out and agree with everything you have said.

I've been around the block Lipstick, I know what I'm about.

Absolutely! But YOUR truths do not apply to everyone. My experience is completely different than yours and I'd hate for anyone to think your behaviors/results/frustrations are typical.

I maintain easily on 1600-1800 calories a day. I eat mindfully, but I can have a daily indulgence without gain. I can workout without gaining. I can get on the scale daily and not fret about fluctuations. I've maintained for well over a year and belong to a FB group of about 40 "vets", most of whom have been sleeved longer than me, who have had similar experiences.

I've been reading your posts for years and have watched your struggles. I do not believe your journey is typical. Not to say you are wrong, but my posts are meant for the common reader as well as who I might be quoting.

;)

I think people get hung up on what is "typical" and lose sight of the fact that we are all individuals. Every step of the way through WLS, people have different experiences both mentally and physically. Some people lose very quickly, so much more slowly. Some experience extreme nausea and vomiting, some never throw up once. Some develop intolerance to certain foods, some can eat anything. Some have ongoing, severe GERD, some have none at all. Some experience dumping with high-sugar foods, some can eat sugar without issue.

We all have to work within the parameters of our own bodies. What works for one, or even most, doesn't necessarily work for all. Unfortunately, some people get a "raw deal" and WLS doesn't benefit them the way it does others. Those people have to work harder and struggle more and that really really sucks. We can all hope it doesn't end up that way for us, but we need to acknowledge that it does end up that way for some people and we need to be caring and supportive of those people, instead of accusatory and judgmental. And more importantly, for those that do have a harder time with loss and maintenance, they need to not be accusatory and judgmental of themselves! They need to not label themselves as failures, which I see all too often on these forums and it breaks my heart.

I've been absent from this site for a while, but have been gaining weight again so decided that I needed to stay abreast of everything that's going on here!

I had sleeve surgery in February of 2014. I lost 67 pounds within a year, but the last six months have slowly been putting it back on. Just a pound or so every week or two, but it is creeping along. I went from 180 pounds to 195. Got to nip this thing in the bud!!!! I had started eating carbs again, and grazing more often. I'm now trying to get back to basics. For instance, instead of having half a chicken sandwich for Breakfast, I'll just nuke a small chicken thigh and forgo the bread. I've lost back down to 193, and am hoping that just a few changes will help me get back down. I also saw my surgeon for my 1 year anniversary. He said not to weigh everyday, but to weigh every Wednesday morning, and write that number down, comparing it weekly. He wants to see me in 3 months, so he is doing a great job of helping me stay on track.

Good luck to us all.... now that the honeymoon is over!

@@Rena's got this It's so nice that your surgeon is being supportive and helping you get back on track instead of giving you a hard time. Some of the surgeons people mention on here sound like real hard-asses who are very unsympathetic. It seems to me that it is much more constructive to give patients positive feedback and help them set personal goals, rather than expecting everyone to fit a single mold and then berating them when they can't.

Hi again, @@globetrotter, I hesitate to point this out to someone with your level of WLS experience, but 21 days sounds an awful lot like 3 weeks. Might you be experiencing a second Week-3 Stall? If you haven't read it recently, you might take some comfort in this article which explains why it happens and why we all have to go through it -- possibly every time we "get back on the horse". http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau We're with you!

@@JamieLogical I'm also seeing his nutritionist monthly at the WLS support groups. The nutritionist is also supportive, and is always bringing us samples of Vitamins, Protein drinks and stuff that he finds that will help us. He puts on presentations, and gets people to come and talk with us regarding stuff like plastic surgery, exercise and cooking. We have a really good system here in eastern central Alabama.

Thank you Rogofulm! What a great article! Should be issued to every new sleever!

@@Rena's got this It's so nice that your surgeon is being supportive and helping you get back on track instead of giving you a hard time. Some of the surgeons people mention on here sound like real hard-asses who are very unsympathetic. It seems to me that it is much more constructive to give patients positive feedback and help them set personal goals, rather than expecting everyone to fit a single mold and then berating them when they can't.

I think there may be a big difference between the levels of support we experience from our medical teams. My surgeon attended our support group meeting recently and told us that if we fall off the wagon, the first call we should make is to his team because they have tips and tools that can help. And they know how hard this is, so they won't judge either. I haven't needed that yet, but if I ever do, you can bet I'll use them. It might be difficult to make that call, but not nearly as hard as it would be further down the road. As with so many things, putting something uncomfortable off rarely makes it better. I'm still trying to learn THAT lesson....

Be that as it may Rogofulm (thank you for the information), it has now been 26 days and it is still only 3 lbs.

@@globetrotter if you don't mind me asking, how many calories were you eating when you started gaining your weight back? What kinds of foods were u eating? Have you found a trend?

I'm so sorry your weight loss is so difficult. I agree that many of our metabolisms are screwed up. I myself can't eat more then 800 calories and nearly all of that has to be Protein for me to lose. If you ever figure out how to fix your metabolism I would love to hear all about it. Good luck!!

Thanks for the support Snowkitten. Does it matter what I was eating while I was gaining? I have eaten the purest and cleanest, most perfect foods for the past 27 days, with an excellent Water intake AND walking at least a mile a day. My average daily cals are 600-700 (yesterday was 450), carbs >40, Protein <60.

sample menu:

Protein shake make with Water (very clean, no sugar added, no soy, no fillers, etc etc etc)

sardines 1 serving

small green salad with plain vinegar, pepper

1 steamed veggie sprinkled with nutritional yeast, 1 serving

another Protein Shake

Minimum 80 ounces of water/herbal tea throughout the day - no sugar added.

If it is a very hot day and I feel the need for more Protein, a protein shake popsicle (powder and water, 1 pop = 1/6 of a protein shake serving).

I think people get hung up on what is "typical" and lose sight of the fact that we are all individuals. Every step of the way through WLS, people have different experiences both mentally and physically. Some people lose very quickly, so much more slowly. Some experience extreme nausea and vomiting, some never throw up once. Some develop intolerance to certain foods, some can eat anything. Some have ongoing, severe GERD, some have none at all. Some experience dumping with high-sugar foods, some can eat sugar without issue.

We all have to work within the parameters of our own bodies. What works for one, or even most, doesn't necessarily work for all. Unfortunately, some people get a "raw deal" and WLS doesn't benefit them the way it does others. Those people have to work harder and struggle more and that really really sucks. We can all hope it doesn't end up that way for us, but we need to acknowledge that it does end up that way for some people and we need to be caring and supportive of those people, instead of accusatory and judgmental. And more importantly, for those that do have a harder time with loss and maintenance, they need to not be accusatory and judgmental of themselves! They need to not label themselves as failures, which I see all too often on these forums and it breaks my heart.

This could not have been written any better than this!!! I have struggled day 1 since my sleeve in October of 2012. I saw all these people losing crazy weight fast and I was following guidelines to a T! I worked my butt of in the gym. I was losing so slow my weight loss stalled at about 10 months post op, but I did have a huge life changing move. Then I got pregnant. I have seen many women continue to lose while they are pregnant. Not me. I gained. I was strict about my diet because I was border line gestational. After the birth of my child, I noticed the heartburn did not diminish. I also noticed that I could eat more. Which was interesting because my capacity was really limited being pregnant. I have since found out that my sleeve is angulated and I have a hernia. I was blaming myself for so much of my issues and when the dr explained it to me I realized a lot of the internal had nothing to do with what I was doing. I told my mom that I felt like I was a failure and she said to me, that there is medical justification for what is happening to me.

I think sometimes people don't want to believe there are instances that the surgery just doesn't have the same amazing results for some. I am not saying the sleeve is not a great tool because I loss 43lbs with it. It just didn't work for me the way it worked for others. While I worked our presleeve and post sleeve I know people that never lifted as much as a finger and lost pounds more than me. We are all different.

Sleeved April 12, I never reached my goal (set by me) and I have been struggling with weight gain. I know though how it is happening and I feel for those who follow a strict diet and exercise regime. I need to get back to basics.