Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gained most of my weight back

@@globetrotter You've lost about a pound a week. Good for you. I think you've established you have a slow metabolism, and now I think you've established you know what to do to lose weight, and that you can lose it. That's good news for you!

My advice is to stop stewing in the fact that it's slower than you want, and a lot of hard work, because when you are fighting yourself, that just makes the weight loss battle that much worse. If you were my daughter (and I have 3 of them whom I love more than anything) I would tell you to stop wallowing in your own self pity because you are making yourself miserable. I always remind them not to be a victim. We choose our happiness. But since you are not my daughter, I won't tell you that. :)

Having said all that, I do understand where you are coming from. Most of us got dealt a bad hand when it comes to weight management. Whether it's a genetic predisposition to weight gain, a lifetime of bad habits, or something else resulting in weight gain, there is not one WLS person who doesn't have to battle. The realization that it's going to be a lifetime of rigid dieting and there is no wiggle room is a little disheartening. It's probably our worst nightmare on so many levels to experience regain. Staying thin is not as simple as "a new way of life" for me. It is a full time job for me, and I consider it job one, all day, everyday. I wish that weren't true, but it's my reality. I've learned to be happy anyway.

@@MichiganChic that was very well said, and I think you must be a very good mom to those three lucky girls. :)

I would like to add something I think that my surgeon and others don't take into consideration enough. There was no individualization of care planning We are all just "Sleeves". I am sure that part of my lack of results from my surgery is my age. At 57 my metabolism, with all my comorbids has only been negatively effected by major surgery. As a RN I should have known this would be the case. A 30 year old body is going to react differently to stressors. So not everyone is going to have a great sucess story. I just wish my surgeon had been honest with me instead of saying all his his patients lose 30 pounds in the first month.

I haven't read everything in detail, but I will say that I am one of those that did and do everything right and only ever lost 30-35 pounds since my sleeve gastrectomy. I track my food, etc., etc... My doc says some people are just like that.....

I will say that I eat about 1300 calories a day. I have yet to figure out how to get all my Protein in, along with fruits and veggies for less than that. I want to say healthy as well. And honestly, I get toooooooooo hungry when I eat less than that. It's hard for me to eat 800 calories a day, but even when I was on liquids only at 800 calories a day the weight came off slower than slow. I realized right away that I wasn't losing as much weight as most others in the forums and I became discouraged. I still try every day to eat healthy, take my Vitamins, get in all my Protein, but for me, apparently size 14/16 it is for now. Who knows, maybe someday I'll figure it out and lose more....

I just want to say that I completely understand the struggle and I BELIEVE and understand the dilemma of those who of us who do everything right with minimal results.

I am 9 yrs out and have regained 75lbs I had an incident where i was almost murdered. I had two strokes and a brain aneurysm afterwards. I basically just didnt give a crap after that. Im only 42 yrs old. Ive started the pouch reset diet. Its hard but im powering through the hunger. Ive also started doing small exercises and short walks as I have done nothing really since being ill and having brain surgery. Wish me luck. 75lbs seems impossible right now but I did it before and Im going to do it again. For myself and my four kids.

I had lap band surgery in 2010 and went from 350 lbs to 174 lbs. I kept the weight off for a couple years and then slowly I began to put on pound after pound. This past Summer I was back up to 265 lbs. I felt worse than I did when I was 350 lbs. I decided I had had enough was taking back control of my life. I changed my entire way of life on August 24, 2015. I began eating healthy again and focusing on lean Proteins and lots of vegetables and tons of water!! I started exercising again and went back to the gym (That I had been paying for every month and not using!) and worked out for 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week. This past Monday morning -2/15/2016; the scale was back down to 195. I have lost 70 lbs so far and would like to lose around another 10. I've had a few moments along the way when I started to fall back into my old habits (I've got a massive sweet and salty tooth and I love my candy and snack foods.) I've eaten a few things I know I shouldn't have but then it hits me a few bites in, doing that is what put me back in the place I was. I don't want to go back there again. I will continue to work hard to not go back there. I'm sure everyone has heard that lap band is not a magic tool that will make or keep you thin. That is very true. I know from personal experience exactly what I can eat to work around the band and I also saw what doing that did to me. I'm feeling great again! I'm getting compliments again from friends, co-workers and even people at the gym! I'm able to go to the mall stores again and shop for the clothes that I want and they actually fit and look pretty good on me :).

You can lose the weight again. It is possible. You are not a failure. Losing weight is one of the hardest things in the world to do. You lost it once so you know you can do it. You know you have the power in you to do it again. You just need to look deep inside yourself and be honest about what made you gain the weight back. You may have stumbled along the way but you just need to pick yourself back up and get back on track. It's easier than you think. Remember this quote that I keep on my office wall - "To get through the hardest journey, we need take only step at a time, but we must keep stepping." I take each day as it comes now and focus on what I can do that day to help me achieve my goals. Don't think about the future. Think about today and how you feel at this very moment and what you can do to make you feel your very best at this very moment!

To the folks who have experienced regain, did you go into this hoping it would no longer be a struggle? I am pre op and just wondering what you guys mindset was.
The comment about it screwing with your metabolic rate scares the crap out of me! If it changes so drastically and I fall off the wagon I'll be worse off than I am now. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I don't want to face this feeling like its a crap shoot, but it seems that's what it is. I'm all for being realistic and knowing as much as I can beforehand.
My heart goes out to all of you. I can only imagine how discouraging it all is.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

A lot of people flat out had bad nutritional advice or ignored the advice given to them. The people that maintain easily long termine, raise their calories and get them to a normal level 1200 or above asap. Keeping your calories at 8000 to 1000 for a year pretty much guarantees you are going to ruin your metabolism.

The best way not to gain post op is to eat dense Protein first and not to introduce carbs.