Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Laser hair removal - OUCH!

Omg - I had laser hair removal done for the first time yesterday. OUCH!!! Has anyone else had it done before?!? I had laser treatment before to remove a tattoo and it was the exact same feeling (I compare it to being hit by bacon grease from a frying pan over and over again.) When I had my tattoo removed, the doctor applied both a numbing cream and I had him inject me with something to numb the site. Yesterday I went to Kaiser (new treating facility) and she said it wouldn't be as bad as it was less intense lasers. She lied! I have given vaginal birth (one natural, without drugs) and i swear, the pain was worse. I have a really high tolerance to pain so for me to say this, it's weird. The only way I got through it was knowing it would eventually end. 176 pulses later, it did! Was my experience unique? Maybe it was the locations or size treated? The area is now red, puffy and feels like the worse sun burn ever. Any advice on how to treat it? I was told I wouldn't have to do much aftercare. Just come back in 8 weeks if needed for another treatment. When I had my tattoo done the skin severely blistered up into a 3rd degree burn. I'm glad I didn't do it in an area easily seen by others. There's no way I could cover this up by make up or would I want to! ????

I just had that done, too. It was like little short stabbing pain, and it was a little pink the first day, but other than the actual treatment, it didn't hurt. I have to have 6 treatments, 6 weeks apart. The first time I went they used a new machine, and it hurt worse than the second time, when they used an older machine.

I had my lip and between my brows done. I was shocked at how painful this procedure actually is. Yet I went back once a month for 6 months for more torture.

Thank god I just had my lip and brow done. I cannot imagine the pain of having my hoo haa done! No way, no how!

There has to be a better way to have hair removed permanently without the torture.

I swear every time they zapped my lip I felt it in my teeth! I swear a masochist must have invented this lovely procedure!

Oh and of course every time I came in for the next procedure they would ask if I wanted the numbing cream?!?! Are you for real? Of course, please numb my whole head so I cannot feel anything please! Not sure what it actually numbed but it sure wasn't my lip!

I have honestly thought it would be a really good way to get back at that man in your life when they irritate you!

Yes, both my bikini line and underarm areas. A tip I learned from a colleague is to get prescription lidocaine/prilocaine topical cream from your physician. Apply to the areas being treated and then wrap or place plastic wrap over it for 2-3 hours until numb. Pop one gram of Tylenol about 45 minutes before the appointment. I found this has really minimized the discomfort.

@@Bluesea71 The lidocaine cream that @@AngelaWilliamsMD mentioned (right down to the plastic wrapping) was the only thing that made it possible for me to do my back and shoulders. The first time I did it without any analgesic or numbing and thought I might die. It was awful.

My fallback option under consideration was to consume copious amount of alcohol (probably not a great idea)! :P

Thanks for your responses, gals. As I mentioned above - I used both the cream and had something injected to help numb when that didn't provide relief l when using lasers for tattoo removal so I know exactly what your talking about. I'm just amazed the RN doing the procedure this time said the lasers weren't as intense as the ones used for tattoo removal. She lied!!! I also treated surface areas that were several times larger than the tattoo area, so I think that's part of the issue. Regardless, the red "burn" left over on my skin looks horrible. At least it hasn't blistered up into a 3rd degree burn like it did when I had my tattoo removed. How long is the healing process? Anyone? Anyone?

Yikes. What laser did they use? Try looking for someone in your area that has a Sciton Joule and performs Forever Bare BBL hair reduction. That the system I use at my Clinic for Hair reduction-- it's way more comfortable and no down time and takes fewer treatments. I'm a nurse and the laser technician at my facility.

Yikes. What laser did they use? Try looking for someone in your area that has a Sciton Joule and performs Forever Bare BBL hair reduction. That the system I use at my Clinic for Hair reduction-- it's way more comfortable and no down time and takes fewer treatments. I'm a nurse and the laser technician at my facility.

I have no clue what kind of laser it was but it's now five days later and I still have a red marks where the treatment was done. Is this normal? Everything I read online called this a "lunchtime" procedure. I'm seriously worried this is going to leave a scar ????

If the clinic you went to takes any pride whatsoever in their reputation, they should offer that you come in for a wound check or follow up due to your concerns. If an adverse reaction has occurred, they need to assess for that and provide proper wound care. Call them and voice your concerns. All laser hair removal treatments should target the hair follicle while leaving the skin intact.

I think it might have to do with the laser machine. I'm not an expert, but the place I went uses a laser that has Water running through it to cool the skin. They call it Candella laser or something, and the technician said they aren't all the same. I bought a Groupon for mine, and the place had over 200 reviews with a 99% thumbs up, so maybe this one hurts less than some of the others.

Not sure what the law is where you live, but usually it requires a physician either be present or affiliated. I would ask to speak to the physician, if there is one.

I had this done at Kaiser in their plastic Surgery/dermatology department. There were less expensive options and I chose them thinking having doctors / RN's perform the procedure would be a safer route. Sigh. I will call them today and check in.

Edited by Bluesea71

I've only done face lasering, but I've never had any redness that lasted more than a couple of hours, if that. It sounds to me like the laser burned you, which is NOT ok.

Update: I went back and had the dermatologist on staff check the redness of my skin. She determined that it wasn't burned but temporary pigment change due to my skin being sensitive. It lasted about 6 weeks and did 100% go away. Good news is the area is still 100% hair free and there has been no new Hair growth. The laser hurt like hell, but perhaps it was effective enough to kills those hair follicles in one shot!

You ladies are scaring me. I was planning on having neck, armpits and eventually bikini line done but I don't think I'll be able to handle it!

I've had two IPL treatments (not even a laser) on my face and while tolerable they are still terrifying. It feels like a hot rubber band smacking me in the face. I get really red and a bit swollen the first few days then it goes away. I still have 3 more treatments.