Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Get my band out

Does anyone know about how much it is to get the band out. I have so much trouble with food getting stuck and if I have some of the Fluid out then am eating too much cause am hungry. My stomach sore all the time cause am always getting food stuck. Yes, i chew and chew and take small bites.. I just want this thing out!!.. I paid out of pocket cause my insurance didn't cover it so am sure I will need to pay out of pocket to remove it I had this for over 5 yrs now and haven't lost anymore weight. I been at this weight for over 2 yrs. Now that am exercising I cant get enough calories in cause am burning to much when I go to the gym and I cant seem to eat without having some kind of issues. I have a 10cc band and fill to 6.5 or 7cc.

I got my band in Dec 09 and I lost 40+lbs but then nothing. Band was tight bc like u I would puke probably 3-4 meals a week. At 211 I just felt like I failed though much healthier than 260. I went to Mexico for a revision to gastric sleeve. The sleeve surgery was 5k and I paid an extra $500 for band removal. Best decision! I am 6 weeks or so out and down to 186 pounds. Good luck whatever u decide!

Hi Liza, I had the band put in Dec 2012, I had problems from the beginning, I initially lost 20 pds, but I was throwing up almost everything I ate, the doctor kept telling me things will get better we just have to find the right cc's that's all, after 6 months going back and forth to the doctor I finally decided to have them remove all the Fluid band oops forgot to mention that in between the first surgery my port popped and they had to redo the Lap Band only 2 weeks after I had put it in I was in the same boat as you I didn't get approved from my insurance so I paid for it myself, movie moving forward 6 months I decided to then have them remove all the fluid now to date beginning of May 2015, I started having abdominal pain and hurt almost like they had a hernia ended up going to the ER found out the band slipped. Ended up getting emergency Lap Band removal approval from my insurance and had the sleeve done on June 1st and can't be happier today even though it's been a struggle I am nine days into the sleeve surgery. when they did the surgery they found out that the band had actually slipped over my esophagus and the port have moved under my liver. My doctor said had I stayed like that with the band in that position it would actually actually caused of and i would have been in extreme pain and could have caused damage to my organs. I hope what I been through helps you make a decision, a good question to ask as I asked my doctor, if they opened me up as they were removing the lapband and saw that there was damage to my organs what they do, he said they would post me up and have me come back in 3 months and then do the sleeve surgery hope this helps take care of yourself..Janelle

I guess i dont have enough issues where my insurance will pay it. So i dont know what the cost is if i had to pay out of pocket. I feel like my stomach stressed all the time. Never relax not sure if there anything wrong with my band. With my luck am sure everything is fine. Just tried of the stuck food and the hiccups and burping. Am pretty sure i dont want another fix. Am hoping with me exercising i can either lose me weight or just stay where am at. Glad things works out for u and good luck with ur new journey with the sleeve.

I have had trouble with my band too. I would love to have mine taken out to but I'm also out of pocket. My band in the last 6 months have cause me terrible anxiety. I'm always worried if it has slipped then when I go to the Dr they say its just indigestion. It drives the crazy. I've only lost 40lbs overall. Mine was to tight in April. I had 0.4 cc taken out and now I've gained 10lbs n a month. I'm just lost on what to do.

I have had my band a little over a year. I'm looking to get mine removed too. I have been having complications consisting of terrible heartburn/acid reflux, not being able to keep my food down and discomfort. Anyone know of a good surgeon in the Phoenix area that does lap band removals? Any input would be greatly appreciated. ????

I have insurance and went thru a lot to get my band removal approved so I can only imagine the anxiety of paying out of pocket! I had my band for 5 years with constant problems. After a horrible experience with a routine fill last year (it took two Drs and a counted 27 needle pricks to get into the port), and an overfill causing severe swelling and vomiting, I made the decision to have it removed and revise to sleeve. I had to go through numerous tests to determine I had severe stricture (which is considered an approved medical malfunction for Aetna). In order to get it all approved though I also had to redo all of the behavioral and nutritional evals and 3 months of weigh ins before it could even be submitted to insurance. It was actually approved in the same day it was submitted but it was a major amount of work. If you have insurance, even the same you had during your original surgery, they may have changed their policy and might approve it now. I would recommend you speak with your insurance (if you have one) and then talk with your doctor about testing. Good luck!!

I had to pay out of pocket cause my ins doesnt cover weight lose. I just want this gone not looking into replacing with something else.

yes I know how you feel, if I didn't have the option to add the sleeve, I would've just removed, just to get it out! take care of yourself