Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@drmeow

Exercise and my fitness tracker are merely a part of the "get healthy" toolbox that I have put together for myself. Like my husband say's "you can't have too many tools". That's right!!!!!

Yep, as the article points out, exercising does have a lot of health benefits. It's just that weight loss isn't one of them. So trying to "burn" 500 cal to reduce weight isn't very effective compared to limiting what goes in your mouth.

I love my Fitbit, too!

Eating less will make you thin. Exercise will make you healthy. Eating less and exercise will make you thin and healthy.

I totally agree. This is the main reason I had WLS. I was working out 5-6 days a week doing Insanity and P90X and my BMI was still 31. I couldn't out run my fork. I was actually embarrassed to tell people I did those workouts because I certainly didn't look like it. I make sure to tell everyone when they ask about my weight loss that it really truly is more about diet. I'd say 85/15. I do love the way working out makes me feel so I continue with it almost everyday.

Happy with my decision-

~LA

I truly believe exercise if done well is much more powerful and effective then what people think. It firstly suppresses your appetite and secondly it keeps you on track with your eating and thirdly it speeds up your metabolism. So I believe it's much more then just making you healthy.

First, I am not a believer in BMI's....my only concern is Body Fat, and how much of my weight is comprised of it...

And I had a lot of it..very high %, so much so it was clogging up my arteries, which resulted in some very serious cardiac conditions.

So yes, I had WLS because I could not control my hunger, cravings and appetite.....

Then, I went to the gym between 5-6am 5 days a week and worked out doing cardio, on an empty stomach...the thinking is to burn energy stored away as body fat opposed to what was recently eaten.

All I can say, from first hand experience, it worked...my body fat% is as low as a healthy person would venture to go...in the "Athletic" range.

So, in spite of what you may read, what has made you 100% successful??? Did you do it without exercising??

I did my strength training outside to the back yard this morning. I took my CD player out with some high tempo music.

I walk a few laps around the yard (with ankle weights, then would come back to the picnic table where I set my weights and would do bicep curls. Then a few more laps and dead lifts, the laps, then kettlebell, then laps, then chest flys or weighted lunges or squats....that kind of thing.

Strength training makes me hungry, so when I came in, I had some tuna salad with slice Tomato and 2 litle gherkins. The old me would have had a two fried egg and sausage and double cheese sandwich with Mayonnaise on a huge onion roll.

Exercise makes me feel good. I have gotten to the point where I am not hypnotized by the TV.

So that's it. Whether exrcise helps with weight loss or not, it is strengthening my bones and muscles and pumps that blood through my heart. Also when I exercise, I breathe deeper and oxygenate my lungs.

With exercise and outstanding diet management, my body tells me that my heart, lungs, liver, muscles, bones, skin, hair, all of me is so much happier.

Oh, I forgot. I also "stopped to smell the roses" which is a pleasant de-stresser, and brought some in the house.