Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today I couldn't fit in the booth at a restaurant...

So I had to meet with a client today for lunch. I normally try to get to this particular restaurant first because I know they have these tiny booths that even a "normal" sized person would have trouble fitting in. Unfortunately I was running behind and of course she chose one. I squeezed myself in there and was literally in pain and could barley eat. The whole time she was talking to me all I could do was think about how uncomfortable I was. Worst experience ever. It's insane to me that I still have this warped idea that I'm not as big as I really am. I'm attending my first OA meeting tonight. Looking for some support to get me from here thru my surgery.

Isn't that the worst? I'm sure most of us have been there.

You have so much to look forward to! And the first time you fit into a booth comfortably you better let us know! Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress!

As Babbs said, you have much to look forward to! Now, when my wife (she had her WLS ten years ago, mine was four,) and I go out and draw a booth, we often start moving the table back and forth (if it isn't bolted to the floor,) because it's so far away from both of us. In many places, tables are still preferred because of this

We're all in the same boat - or were at one time. Just keep thinking that you're on your way to never having that experience again. Good Luck!!! You've got a lot of people here for you!

Edited by gigito2

There's a restaurant close to my house that we have gone to over many years. My problem wasn't getting in the booth. It was trying to get out. It's one of those semi circular booths and you have to slide all the way around to get out. This particular table sits on a platform so it's about 10 inches to the ground once you get to the end of the seat and try to put your feet on the floor.

I'd have to slide around, kinda turn sideways at the end, then push myself out of there just to hit the floor. I always hoped no one would notice.

Now when we go there I slide right around and boom - I'm outta there. It feels so good to not have to bother with stuff like that. Other than the health reasons, all of us want to be thin to feel better about ourselves. To not suffer these indignities due to our size. You can do this....and take it from me and everyone else here - it's worth it.

Should you find yourself in this situation again, you could say, "these booths are murder on my back, do you mind if we move to a table?"

Being how uncomfortable you are all over, it's not really a stretch.

One of the "gifts" of obesity is learning to be assertive. If you are uncomfortable, for whatever reason, it is perfectly acceptable to request a change. You don't really need to explain specifics. Suffering in silence doesn't do you or your meal companion any favors.

Thanks everyone, it's the first time I've even shared things like this. I'm so used to just keeping quite and dealing because I'm embarrassed over my size. I never even considered speaking up, I just sat there miserable. Gives me a lot to think about!

I am glad to hear you are attending an OA meeting. We all need support on this journey from people who truly understand (this forum and OA are both excellent resources).

Ugh, that stinks! It's one thing to tell a friend that you don't want to sit in the booth, but a different animal when you're dealing with clients / customers / colleagues and don't want anyone who doesn't already realize it to know that you need some accommodation. I haven't had the restaurant experience with work, but the chasing-my-skinny-marathon-running-colleagues-around experience, absolutely. Very frustrating.

You're getting closer to a major life change, though! Keep looking forward, before you know it you'll be able to strut right in there and grab a booth without thinking twice!

{{hugs}}

Oh, I think most of us can relate to this one. I have had this same issue in the past. Let me tell you though, doing this surgery is the best thing that I have ever done for myself. I feel healthier, care about what I am eating now, want to be active and don't have to pre-plan for all of these things that become normal to us like having to get to the restaurant early to get the right table. Its amazing to not have to think of those things all the time anymore. I was like you too @@nikkiperezcassar and didn't share those thoughts. Good luck with your journey, I hope it is as much as a life changing experience as mine has been.

I had this same thing happen to me at a friends birthday party. I was so upset and humiliated. The next week I made the decision to have surgery.

I recently had lunch with some colleagues from work & they wanted to sit outside to over look the Water outside the restaurant, the set I was literally squeezing in to the booth, we ended up moving to inside the restaurant. I wanted to crawl under a rock????.

Sent from my LGMS631 using the BariatricPal App

I went to sesame place last summer with my husband and 5 yr old son. We were gonna ride the roller coaster the lift that come down over your head & buckles at your waist wouldn't close/ lock the attendant kept pushing I think she was embarrassed for me. There was a line of people watching so embarrassing. I had to get off the line.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I went to sesame place last summer with my husband and 5 yr old son. We were gonna ride the roller coaster the lift that come down over your head & buckles at your waist wouldn't close/ lock the attendant kept pushing I think she was embarrassed for me. There was a line of people watching so embarrassing. I had to get off the line.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had this exact same thing happen years ago. Had to do the walk of shame past the long line we waited in. So embarrassing. Had other theme park embarrassments in more recent years. Have stopped going to them until I'm a normal size.