Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inova Fair Oaks Hospital

Has anyone been sleeved at Inova Fair Oaks in VA? How did it go? And tips? I am just beginning the process. Thanks!

Hello @@Bs_Knees!

I was just sleeved on May 26th with Dr. Moazzez. I would be very happy to answer any questions for you. I can't tell you how much I loved Dr. M - he is the best in the practice. Everyone there is super helpful!

My insurance required a 3 month process with them, and Pam the insurance coordinator was a doll and knows her stuff!

Where are you in the process?

Hey @@scoutmom I am going to meet Dr. M in about two weeks. I already started the process but switching surgeons so this will be my consult with him but I have my sleep study and psychological done already and about to be on month 3 of supervised visits... Please share any insight

Thanks @scoutmom. I had my initial consultation with Dr M about 3 weeks ago. I get a very good feeling from him and Pam. If insurance approves, surgery will probably be in Sept. How are you feeling? Were you able to walk the same day? Do you like the Bariatric Advantage shakes, etc?

I just started the process as well. My consultation with Dr. Fitzer. So far he's pretty amazing. I have to follow a 3 month plan per my insurance's requirement. I meet with my dietician this week.

Thanks @scoutmom. I had my initial consultation with Dr M about 3 weeks ago. I get a very good feeling from him and Pam. If insurance approves, surgery will probably be in Sept. How are you feeling? Were you able to walk the same day? Do you like the Bariatric Advantage shakes, etc?

Hi @Bs_Knees.....congrats on things moving forward. I can't believe it has already been 6 weeks since my surgery. I am doing great. I am 35 pounds down since May 1st - and 26 pounds down since surgery. I had a low BMI, so although that is a fast loss for me, I do read about others losing more - but I am thrilled with the progress and fell absolutely fabulous.

The first day and the third day in the hospital were the toughest. Not sure why, but I had heard the 3rd day after surgery is the toughest and it was true for me. However, I was up and walking within a couple of hours of surgery and the main pain was from the gas they put in your belly and not from the incisions. By second day I took a shower and was wearing my own clothes in the hospital. I hate hospital gowns! I had the option of going home the day after, but I knew I would not rest and over do it. So I stayed two nights in the hospital and I'm glad I did. It gives you time to get your pain meds in line before going home.

I am not good about getting the Water (64 oz) and Protein in and that is not good. You may experience a bit of panic as it feels like you will never eat real food again. Bu I have been on mushy food for the last 2 weeks and that helped a lot. The new way of eating takes a bit of getting used to - and eating out with my family is sometimes frustrating because of limited options.

Here is a bit of my advice based on 6 weeks:

1. do NOT buy the Bariatric Advantage Vitamins. they are gross and make me throw up. I would definitely start with liquid Multi Vitamins that you can get on Amazon. I have only thrown up twice and it is due to the chewable Multivitamins.

2. start the Vitamins and drinking at least 40 ounces of Water a month before your surgery. I did not and wish I had already instituted this change. I am not a big water drinker anyway.....and used to only drink bubbly water. So this has been one of the hardest things to conquer.

3. I did have head hunger - I thought I would not feel hungry at all, but I do get hungry. Not a big deal, but it threw me for a surprise.

4. Fill all of your prescriptions before surgery day. I didn't, and my mom and I had to stop on the way home from the hospital and it sucked.

5. They called in a prescription for syringes that you give yourself in your belly to keep from getting blood clots. No one at the docs office or the hospital told me this, so I was surprised when the guy at CVS gave them to me. Just be prepared. Doesn't hurt that much - but not fun either.

6. Schedule your surgery follow-up appointment before surgery day. The schedule was full, and I waited until 2 days after surgery. Made the staff cranky.

I was very lucky and healed super fast and was back to walking as soon as I got home. They were very happy at my 2 week follow-up. I was back to work at my office 6 days after surgery. I did get very tired by 7:30pm/8pm because of the drastic lack of calories - and I still get tired by 8:30pm. (highly unusual for me).

The good things:

1. I feel fantastic and in control of my own choices

2. I sleep SO much better and actually wake up rested

3. I have more patience for my children and my attitude in life is so much better

3. I'm having to dig through the attic to find old clothes to wear. It does feel like the weight falls off in the beginning. (although I know if I don't start getting more Protein that I will stall).

4. friends and colleagues have started to notice a big change

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have - keep 'em coming! It is one of the best decisions I ever made.

Seana

The 300 we have to pay what exactly does that cover if you don't mind asking? Two after your inital consult do u just fax or mail ur stuff to pay them she submits to insurance before ur next appointment is schedule or do u see them one more time when everything is completed and then they submit. I am on month 4 now scheduled for EDG next Tuesday then just my last two visits with NUT

@scoutmom Thanks so much for the great information. And congratulations on your success. Love the part about sleeping better and waking up rested.

Hi!! I'm a Dr. M girl too! Just had my last nutrition appointment today and confirmed with Pam all of my stuff is ready to submit August 5th! I decided to wait on all of my pre op testing and EGD until after I get approved.

Seana has been an amazing resource! My understanding is the $300 also covers the pre-op nutritional 2 hour session where they go into detail about things. Seana, is that right?

Edited by MKinNOVA

@sweettooth2015.....I paid for each NUT appt as I went through the 3 meetings over 90 days for insurance approval. As I remember the NUT visits were around $70 each. I then paid the office psychologist to do the psych eval online so I didn't need to do more appts. The Bariatric Advantage shake kit is $300 and is totally yucky. It comes with a Soup which I could not begin to drink. I tried to get out of buying it - but it is a part of the program.

Once you are approved, you meet with the NUT one more time, Dr. M again, the nurse practitioner (to discuss all meds, surgery expectations and remaining appts and lab tests that must be done). Hope this helps.