Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anybody use this stuff post op? If so, did it seem to increase the amount of your weight loss? Also, does it have a lot of Protein?

I would have a RTD one if there was nothing better available. There are much better options for a Protein supplement. Premier Protein have ready to drinks that are much better protein-wise, and are pretty easy to find. A tub of Protein powder is probably more economical... and there are some very good high Protein options out there.

I looked up the data for Slimfast High Protein Creamy Chocolate: 190 calories, 25 g carbs, 10 g protein. By comparison I had a Syntrax Nectars, Cappuccino flavor, for Breakfast that has 100 calories, 0 carbs, and 23 g protein.

edited* Actually looking at the amount of carbs in a SlimFast, I would not drink one at all. Way too high in carbs for my plan.

Edited by liannatx

Googling online shows 10 g Protein per 190 cal shake, which seems awfully low for that many calories. Atkins is slightly better - 15 g per 165 cal. I think slim fast may have a high Protein One that is 20 g but I didn't see the calorie count on that one.

I'm pre-op but currently use zerocarb Isopure powder, which is 25 g/scoop with 105 calories.

caveat - I usually mix it with unsweetened almond milk which adds a few calories but little Protein. Some people use soymilk b/c of the high protein but I can't use soy due to my Hashimoto's thyroid disease.

I've heard the Premier Protein premixed are good.

Premier Protein has 30 grams of Protein and only 1 gram of sugar. It is a recommended protein supplement by bariatric centers of excellence.

The beautiful thing is you only have to drink one shake instead of 3 to get 30grams. Also they taste very good. They are not gritty and don't have that protein taste.

I don't know which surgery you have had, but in general drinking food isn't that helpful post-op as it doesn't make us feel full.

I don't know which surgery you have had, but in general drinking food isn't that helpful post-op as it doesn't make us feel full.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I feel very full after a shake. It often takes me several hours to get a whole one down. I do agree that drs say not to get dependent on them, but I personally don't know any post surgery people that stop them completely. They help me control calories and keep my Protein intake up. I love love love mixing a great tasting chocolate protein with powdered high protein Peanut Butter and blending. Omg. So good. And I still crave sweets, particularly at night so I drink 1/2 a serving and it keeps me from snacking. Goodness I think I want one now!

@@Weighting2BeFree fair enough. I should only speak for my own surgery. Banded people are told, after the first phases, to get their nutrients from food, not shakes.

Never right to speak for surgeries I haven't experienced personally! I only based it on what the sleeved people on the board I usually go on say. They advise against shakes as a major food source after the first few months. But they are all many years out.

Thanks for the insight, everyone, so I'm just gonna sum it up by saying that slim fast is a no go. I had the bypass and was trying to find ways to get my Protein in and increase my weight loss since I was told by my nutritionist that I was below the weight loss expectations.

I wouldn't drink the slimfast. There is too much sugar in it and a lot of carbs. In the Kaiser Bariatric Program, they mention to not used Slimfast or Atkins. If you want a Protein shake, go with Syntrax nectar. Its 100 calories for a scoop, but no carbs or sugars and 23g of Protein.< /p>

This shake keeps me full the entire day and I drink Water as well.

Good luck

If you like the taste of SlimFast, I would recommend EAS AdventEDGE Carb Control ready-to-drink shakes. They taste a LOT like Slim Fast to me and have more Protein and far fewer carbs and calories than Slim Fast. I buy mine locally at Target and Walmart.< /p>

Edit: I like the Rich Dark chocolate flavor the best. They look like this:

k2-_e2345d07-0bed-49c4-889b-e5ab4e47ddba

I am in the pre op stage and I use the pure Protein that I get from Walmart. they are 7.88 for 4 drinks but I have been using the 2.00 coupon that I found. They have 23 grams of Protein, 1 gram of sugar and have 120 calories. I drink them ice cold and you can also drink them like a malt if you get them to almost freezing. I have tried the Premier Protein but it is really thin and makes me sick. but that is only my opinion. Anyway good luck I am starting my preop diet 6-18-15 and will probably continue to drink them after surgery for a while they really fill me up.