Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight effecting your kids?

I am probably less than 2 months away from having surgery. My pre-op consultation with my surgeon is July 10th. I knew my weight was effecting my family because of my lack of energy and motivation makes it hard for me to play with them as much. Last night my son whose just finishing up Pre-k came home with his portfolio with all his work throughout the year in it. As I was flipping through it he had a picture of me and I was huge compared to everyone else in his pictures, I asked him why and he replied" Because you have a big belly" he's only 5 years old and loves me very much and means no harm. Him saying this brought me to tears and a great realization of how much detail he is actually aware of that I never even gave a thought too. I don't want my children to see me as big and unhealthy. I know that's a big reason why I am getting the surgery to begin with is to have a better quality of life for me and for them. I haven't stopped thinking about what he said all night. I have fallen behind with my weight loss a little and now it's opened my eyes again to keep this going because it's a life long battle and both my kids and I deserve this. In order to achieve this I have to be successful and work at it, after last night I know I want this now more than ever. My question is has anyone ever had comments from your kids or anything and how did it make you feel?

my uncle was over at the house with my aunt who had brought me some clothes she thought I would like. I love them both tremendously but both of them make comments that are hard to hear from people who have been my "parents" since losing my mom in 1986 and my dad in 1970. Things like "it was the biggest size they had" to "you may not be able to do____because you are so big" is what I have heard as recently as the first of May. I would be able to handle my 5 y/o grandson saying that I have a big belly (he has told me) because I know he is being honest. I DO have a big belly. But to hear an adult family members make comments like I have heard is hard. I finally said something like this to my uncle "gee I know, tent sized clothing, right?" I think I made my point. I was wearing around a 2X. I know there are larger sized clothes but to roll your eyes and say that to your adult neice? They came over a few days ago - no negative clothing or weight comments :D

Congrats on your weight loss! Yes I've heard stuff from my mother like "Wow I didn't know you weighed that much" "You've never been this big before" or constantly telling me that she doesn't have a butt and she only weighs 172 and blah blah blah. Seriously I swear she does it on purpose. I'm going to fight this battle of mine and come out on the other side of which I'll only receive good comments....I have to believe that!