Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Making the decision. Band or Sleeve

Hi, I’m brand new to this site and I wanted to say thanks to all for the info and helpful advice within. It feels like a great support.

I am at the start of this journey –made the decision to have bariatric surgery about a month ago and since then have been speaking to the a UK Centre – they have been very helpful and I had more-or-less settled on a gastric band. I’m fit and healthy – just very over weight – about 20stone and BMI of 41.

Yesterday I have my first consultation with a surgeon and sadly it was very disappointing. His first question was ‘why a band and not a sleeve’. Then followed a power point presentation about why obesity is a worldwide problem (errr – thanks I kinda know all that already!!) and a helpful run through the band surgery and the sleeve surgery – with some rather gory – but interesting videos of his work.

The surgeon is a sleeve evangelist and was very negative about the band. He explained that it is has a 40% success rate compared to 89% with the sleeve (this doesn’t really feel correct) and that there are lifelong complications with the band. He also said the NHS do not offer the band due to the low success rate.

At the end of one hour – he quickly ended the meeting – saying he was needed in surgery – leaving me no time to ask questions. I am left in a total state of confusion.

Is the sleeve a better option for me? I had discounted the sleeve previously because I feel it is so much more extreme and invasive. I have a little girl, so risk is a very big factor for me (as I’m sure it is for many on here). Will I fail with the band and/or have lots of complications – or have I just had a rather one-sided, biased consultation for a surgeon who has made up his mind that bands are not a good option?

I haven’t spoken to the Obseity Centre councillor yet, but though I would ask a few questions on here first.

I can see this is a thread is about the band – but did anyone else face a similar dilemma – Band or Sleeve? Has anyone had a band, but wishes they had a sleeve? Also- how did my first consultation compare to your meetings with doctors – I thought I would be coming out of that better informed and with the next stage of my plan – instead I am more confused than ever and somewhat disheartened.

I'd be very grateful for any advice or help that anyone could give me.

You really have to decide for yourself as its a very personal choice. I have a sleeve and I love it! It takes zero maintenance and 4 years out I live a normal life!

I have made many friends on my weight loss journey and still have yet to meet a band success story. My surgeon Dr. Alvarez (at the time of my operation) was doing the sleeve and revision from band and it was a major part of his practice.

Talk talk talk is my recommendation the decision is such a scary part of the process but I can tell you it is so worth it. Sounds cliche but it really is the greatest thing I have ever done for myself and I haven't regretted a single day!

Wishing you the best!

I had the band done in 05. Of the 15+ people that were in my original support group from that time, I was the last one to have my band removed. Every one of experienced some form of erosion, slippage, or complications from scar tissue. I had the older Inamed band, but the complications have remained the same with the newer bands. I personally would not recommend it to anyone. Many doctors have stopped doing the band because of those exact issues. I chose the band originally because it seemed "less invasive" and less drastic. However, I have now had 1 surgery to have the Lapband, 1 to have it removed, and 1 more to be Sleeved.

It is great that you are doing your own research!

It's a personal choice for sure because one is reversible and one it not. I was banded in 2009 and it was okay for about 9 months then it was nothing but trouble. I have so many adjustments , I can't even count, trying to find then"sweet spot" where you can eat with the proper restriction. I never got there. I lived on liquids and smoothies and ice cream sometimes for days because my stomach rejected everything else. So unhealthy. After years of randomly throwing up any food I got sick of it. 2 days ago I had a revision .. The band came out and I had a sleeve done. I am not the first either. Many of my band support group people have gone this way. If you asked my direct advice I would avoid the band altogether. It may be reversible but you have something foreign in your body for life. Not to mention the port hurts like hell any time you lean up on it.

Edited by Skylia

I'd like to echo the others and tell you to research all your options to exhaustion.

I was banded in 2010 because I thought didn't want anything permanent...which is kind of silly to me now. I started at 245, lost 35 lbs in a couple months and then started having problems after problem after problem.

For 4 years I dealt with unsuccessful fills and vomiting and stuck food and so on. The port flipped and the band damaged my esophagus...

The stats on the band failure rate are super high and most band patients require more surgeries for one thing or another. I had the bypass revision about 10 weeks ago and I am so happy now. No stuck food, no vomiting, and I feel fabulous!

Discuss your options with your surgeon and see what they think you will be most successful with. Most surgeons won't even do lap band surgeries anymore.

Good luck!

As mentioned in all the other posts. It is a personal choice. My bariatric surgeon no longer offers the band procedure as it has a significantly higher failure rate than the other procedures. They mainly perform RNY, Sleeve and the SADI(SIPS) in his practice.

I opted for the SADI, a much newer procedure in comparision to the RNY because of my BMI (51) and co-morbidities.

I agree do your research. I was dead set on the band, after my initial meeting with a group that recently had surgery and the 2 surgeons, I did a total 360. Both surgeons said they will no longer do band surgery. High maintenance and a lot of problems. There is a website called Thinner Times, that also is an excellent reference. I love reading posts from people that actually have had surgery and what pros and cons they have to offer. You can post any question, and you'll get many responses, right to your email. I've read many posts from people who had the band and had a second surgery to remove it and replace with the sleeve. Good luck!????

I had a band and was 110% successful but know many who aren't. The band takes a huge amount if follow up care. The complication rate is also huge. My sister and I have both had it removed and are awaiting sleeve surgery.

Do your research. I was considering the band until I started to research more. I found out that my hospital is no longer even doing the lap band due to high failure rates. Seems like this is the going trend. I also talked to a few people I knew who had been banded. Both have had revisions and removed the band going with bypass instead. I'm glad I've done my research. I still am. Right now I'm in limbo waiting to go to my hospitals seminar. Lots of time to research....

You are doing great! Read everything and make your decision based on your lifestyle. How much weight do you want to lose? Are you ready for a complete lifestyle change? It is all about you! The sleeve was the best option for me. In the last 10 months I've had success by losing weight. I haven't reached my weight loss goal. I expect to be where I need to be by Christmas. It is your body and the sleeve is for life. Make a choice you can live with. Best of luck to you!

Edited by LadyK44

I had my sleeve done 8 days ago I find it right for my reasons i am morbidly obese + i had gallstones + diabetic, sleeve do attack all of it in one surgery. Since you are researching I would recommend you google UBaloon my brother had it done 30 days ago and lost around 35lbs, however, he have to watch his food closely. Make your choice based on your needs not doctors recommendations.

Hi Everyone,

Many many thanks for all your replies and advice, it is so greatly appreciated.

My research continues......and all your advice and hearing about your experiences is a great help.

Thanks again!

Balfin xxxxx