Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What changes have people noticed as far as their mental and emotional health after WLS? I'm talking about things like anxiety, depression, fatigue, distraction, ect. Did you find that these areas improved?

As always, Thanks for the info!!

Emotionally, I had some very bad emotional days. I still get them, but they are now mostly hormone driven. My hormones are very out of wack. But from what I've read from others, it won't last. Fatigue was a biggie for me in the beginning. At around 6 weeks it went away! I dealt with anxiety a great deal before surgery, it's still there. It really depends on what's going on in my life! Hope this helps.

Oh yes. But nothing got worse or better from WLS alone. The WLS makes it impossible to use food as a security blanket. Then you are left with a choice. Sink as low as you possibly can and wallow in it some more or you can begin to get a grip on what the underlying problems are in the first place. You know - the ones that we escape from by making food our drug of choice.

It's all good though. I think most people choose the 2nd option. Then we go buy new clothes.

Changes after WLS....Well........I eat less, that's for sure!! I'm drinking lots more Water, and much less coffee (found out my Creamer was making me fat! Imagine THAT!!) I weigh less, my clothes are getting baggy. My emotional state is much better than it was before surgery. Before I had the surgery, I was wallowing in self pity and feeding it with junk which was contributing to the weight, which was making me wallow in self pity. Such an endless circle. So glad I had the surgery!

Great changes since being banded 5 months ago. 46 pounds lost, 4 pant sizes down, hunger monster is GONE. For the most part I have had loads of energy and been upbeat.

In April I hit my first plateau. No weight loss for about 6 weeks and I found myself fighting the blues big time. It was weird as I am NOT prone the blues or depression. No idea why these blues hit me but I felt really, really down and I'm normally a very upbeat person.

Started losing again and I am back to my normal self. Hooray!

Really - only good changes with just one hiccup. :)

@@azsqwurl

Many of my emotional/mental issues were brought to the surface because of my weight loss surgery. If I chose to avoid them like I have done for many years. I was going to stay in a very dark place. Like many that have posted I was a emotional/Stress eater.

This has been more than the physical change. It has forced me to address my issues and changed me emotionally/mentally all for the better.

I found the gym has become my adrenaline rush,my best way to process issues. My motivation and inspiration. It's my church. Issues will come up that a song I hear on the radio addresses. That song gos into my work out play list. I have never taken the time to do things for myself in the past. Always to busy and taking care of others. The gym is my time. It feels great to do something selfish for myself:). It feels good to have me back.

I think in my situation it has made me sharper, fitter, and the best thing of all I am now able to run around with my kids.

My major post-surgery depression lasted just a few days. I have had some that (I think) is tied to the rapid changes in my body...over 50 pounds in less than 6 weeks. I feel like I am strapped to a roller coaster heading straight out, when in the past weight loss was more like bumper cars.

All I know is that due to having lost food as a crutch and solace, it is forcing me to do some intensive personal work. Writing, thinking, solitude -- my head is changing as my body changes.

Good topic and question. Surgery this major is going to cause emotional and mental changes, one way or the other. In this case, I am working hard to stay on top of it and learn. Otherwise, I am too vulnerable to regain the weight after the two year mark...