Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you start loosing weight?

Hi,

I got banded 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I've lost since the surgery about 9 pounds (4kg) but that happened just after the first week. Since then I'm not loosing any weight at all.

I've not had my fill yet, I hope to get it on June 5th.

Is it only after the fill that you start loosing weight?

Or was it when you started exercising after the operation?

Kinda worried that my doctor will be like "uhh what have you been doing for 4 weeks??"

Ok never mind. After lots of searches, I finally found my answer.

I lost weight the first 4 weeks after surgery...who wouldn't, following the post op diet requirements?

Then I went in for my first fill, 4 cc's, 4 weeks after surgery....after that, I started to gain weight. Everything I lost pre and post op. Even with the one fill.....

Then I went in for my second fill....2cc's...after that everything held constant...no gain or loss.....

It was not until my 3rd and final fill, 12 weeks after surgery, did the band start to work and I began to steadily loose my weight.

That was over 4 years ago, never had a fill since, and have lost all my excess weight. Continued to loose until the fat was gone.

Thank you very much for your reply.

So good to hear peoples stories so that your expectation won't be huge and will be realistic!

I lost 0,5 kg this week so I'm up to 4,5 kg since I had the lap band. I can't really complain. I haven't had this weight for months! so loosing this in 3 weeks is fantastic.

Now I'm monitoring how I feel when eating and how soon I get hungry so that I can tell my doctor in a week if I'm in the green, yellow or red area. I think I'm kinda orange haha

This sounds daft, but think about it and hopefully it will make sense.

Fills don't make us lose weight! The only thing which makes us lose weight is a calorie deficit. By dimming hunger, a good level of fill makes this easier. So how much and how fast you lose is down to you, not any fill!

It is really common with all wls to have an early period of no loss. But, as long as there is that calorie deficit, the fat will go. Sometime!!!

And exercise is important for good health but it is the junior partner of food intake in losing weight! You can lose weight without exercise. You ant lose weight without a calorie deficit,

Edited by KateP

Thanx, yeah I know the fill won't make me loose weight. But it will help keeping the hunger down and help me to know when I've had enough.

That has been my biggest issue, not knowing when to stop eating, and being able to eat non stop.

I'm using My Fitness Pal to keep control of the calories. That is a great tool!

So the fill will at least help me to know the limit.

I appreciate all help here :)

@@nickelbv it's hard! It can take a long time to really understand the feelings of having eaten enough. I got it wrong quite often at the beginning and used to eat until I felt pressure abive the band. Which is not we should feel.

Until you get there, explanations don't help! The closest I can get is saying that if I eat a reasonable amount and then stop and walk away, my stomach (the intestines really but that area round the tummy button where we feel"full") feels comfortably full. Even though it can't possibly be as I haven't eaten nough to even partly fill my "real" stomach. I never physically have no choice but to stop. If we get there, we have eaten too much, too fast.

If I bored and surrounded by food, I will have to fight not to eat. If I am busy, I can forget meals altogether.

That's exactly how I feel, loving to eat when I'm bored, like it's a hobby! I have to find something else to do instead of eating.

But yeah I have to learn my limit and learn when I'm full. Because the area around the tummy button screams food even though I know I shouldn't have more and I'm kinda full.

This is like starting life all over again and I'm excited