Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got my surgery date (6/23) and now the nerves hit!

Hi all,

I can't tell you how much this forum has helped answer my questions, calm my nerves, and encouraged me to pursue WLS. I've been lurking for several months as I jump through all the pre-surgery hoops, but just found out yesterday that my insurance approved the surgery and I'm scheduled for 6/23/15!

My stats:

Height: 5'6"

HW: 256

CW: 242 (BMI 39)

GW: 145

I'm ecstatic, but suddenly it's all getting real and I'm a little overwhelmed. I think that, because my BMI is on the low-end of the scale (wavering between 39 and 40), I'm now questioning if I should take such a drastic step to lose weight. I mean, I have a boyfriend who loves me as I am, I'm pretty functional, and sometimes even feel attractive. But then I remember that my weight has been on a steady upward trajectory for my whole life, despite frantic efforts to stop it, and nothing else has worked. My last physical showed that I suddenly have pre-diabetes and high cholesterol, I found out I have sleep apnea, and my joints hurt like I'm 80 years old. I don't want to live like this anymore, much less face what is likely to come in the future if I don't do the surgery. I want to be free to shop in normal stores (not plus sized or hope that a store carries XXL or even more). I want to be active and enjoy this phase in my life. I want to feel attractive and free, instead of the constant nagging voice in my head - "stick out your chin so you don't get double/triple chin while you're talking," "cross your legs differently so the person in front of you doesn't get a full slab of cellulite in their vision," "pull down your shirt to cover your pooch," "pull up your pants to hide your muffin top," "you're the fattest person in this room," "don't stoop, you look bigger," "DELETE ALL TAGGED PICTURES ON FB THAT AREN'T FLATTERING OR FROM YOUR APPROVED CAMERA ANGLE!" It's exhausting and I'm ready to focus on life and actually living instead. I'm excited to start yoga, and try surfing (renting a wetsuit might be possible soon! and without getting mistaken for an injured sea lion!), and not stress every single day about what I can possibly wear that will be flattering.

So, wish me luck, everyone! I leave for Cambodia for 10 days tomorrow for a research trip, so I'm trying to get my head in that game right now, but as soon as I'm back, it's liquid diet and prep time! Eek!!

Sounds like you answered your own question about whether you need the surgery or not. It will be the best thing you could do for yourself. I'm 5 months post op &-have lost 103 lbs. Good Luck to you

Wow, @AngelJoyD... I think we share a brain! I have developed a very specific face that I make when someone is taking a picture of me (chin out, mouth open, eyebrows up--charming) and panic when I get a "so-and-so has tagged a photo of you" notification on FB.

I know that for me, it took my aunt dying of complications from diabetes at 53 to get me to realize that my weight problems are not going to go away on their own and will continue to escalate and ruin my life if I don't deal with them now. I'm getting sleeved on 6/15.

Good luck in your travels and surgery!

Hey!

I identify so much with your story.

We have about the same BMI and I was just struggling to accept that I really need this surgery and that is the best choice for me right now.

I just hope I do not change my mind again before the surgery.

By the way, my surgery is only two days after yours. :)

Have a nice trip!

Hi all,

I can't tell you how much this forum has helped answer my questions, calm my nerves, and encouraged me to pursue WLS. I've been lurking for several months as I jump through all the pre-surgery hoops, but just found out yesterday that my insurance approved the surgery and I'm scheduled for 6/23/15!

My stats:

Height: 5'6"

HW: 256

CW: 242 (BMI 39)

GW: 145

I'm ecstatic, but suddenly it's all getting real and I'm a little overwhelmed. I think that, because my BMI is on the low-end of the scale (wavering between 39 and 40), I'm now questioning if I should take such a drastic step to lose weight. I mean, I have a boyfriend who loves me as I am, I'm pretty functional, and sometimes even feel attractive. But then I remember that my weight has been on a steady upward trajectory for my whole life, despite frantic efforts to stop it, and nothing else has worked. My last physical showed that I suddenly have pre-diabetes and high cholesterol, I found out I have sleep apnea, and my joints hurt like I'm 80 years old. I don't want to live like this anymore, much less face what is likely to come in the future if I don't do the surgery. I want to be free to shop in normal stores (not plus sized or hope that a store carries XXL or even more). I want to be active and enjoy this phase in my life. I want to feel attractive and free, instead of the constant nagging voice in my head - "stick out your chin so you don't get double/triple chin while you're talking," "cross your legs differently so the person in front of you doesn't get a full slab of cellulite in their vision," "pull down your shirt to cover your pooch," "pull up your pants to hide your muffin top," "you're the fattest person in this room," "don't stoop, you look bigger," "DELETE ALL TAGGED PICTURES ON FB THAT AREN'T FLATTERING OR FROM YOUR APPROVED CAMERA ANGLE!" It's exhausting and I'm ready to focus on life and actually living instead. I'm excited to start yoga, and try surfing (renting a wetsuit might be possible soon! and without getting mistaken for an injured sea lion!), and not stress every single day about what I can possibly wear that will be flattering.

So, wish me luck, everyone! I leave for Cambodia for 10 days tomorrow for a research trip, so I'm trying to get my head in that game right now, but as soon as I'm back, it's liquid diet and prep time! Eek!!

Keep in touch we have the same surgery date!

Hey!

I identify so much with your story.

We have about the same BMI and I was just struggling to accept that I really need this surgery and that is the best choice for me right now.

I just hope I do not change my mind again before the surgery.

By the way, my surgery is only two days after yours. :)

Have a nice trip!

I went through a super emotional phase too when I decided to sign to the process and I am concerned where my emotions will take me after I have my surgery. Having lost 62 lbs (with help from weight watchers and phentermine) and gained back 78lbs in a matter of 2-3 years is discouraging. I knew I needed to do something about my weight that would be longer lasting. Keep in touch we all have the similar surgery dates! I'm going June 23rd.

I wish I had been able to do it at your age. I'm 50 now, and will likely turn 51 (July 26) before surgery. I have one more nutrition visit this week, then one visit with cardiologist next week to go over my test results for cardiac clearance, then everything gets sent in to insurance for approval.

My surgeon is booked through the end of July right now, so it will probably be August before I get my surgery.

When I look back over my life, I realize I should have found a way to make the surgery happen much sooner. I didn't have health insurance for a long time, and then when I had it, it didn't cover the surgery. Now I have insurance that covers it.

I think about all the things that I passed on, all the things I couldn't do, all the times I missed out on, because I didn't physically fit into the world.

I wish I could go back to 35, where you are, and do it then.

Thank you all for making me feel understood and supported! For those of us with close surgery dates, let's keep in touch during this process!

My surgery date is the 23rd too!! I'd love to keep in touch with some of you that have the same date!! Good luck!! We can do this!! (: